• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

99.1 The Whale - Coverage Area Issues/Shrinkage?

Hey Everyone!

I frequently drive up I-81 between the PA and NY borders on my way to visit family. Recently (approx. last 2-3 weeks) I've noticed the signal quality of 99.1 The Whale go from crystal clear to absolute garbage in some of the areas it has always been fantastic for decades. I first noticed this issue driving through the greater Clarks Summit area. Driving north from there, the problem continues.

There's no bleed through from another stations. The Whale is crystal clear one minute, then static, then gone the next. Then clear, then static, then gone.
  • I've noticed the issues mostly coming from the southern part of the listening area on the PA side.
  • Does anyone know if anything happened to the transmitter (damage?), (neglect?), or if the FCC's last update altered The Whale's coverage area? I'm wondering if it's just a weird weather phenomenon or something has forever changed.
99.1 The Whale has always been my favorite station going back decades, so I'm really hoping someone can shed some light on this.

-Paragon

Last edited:
Hey Everyone!

I frequently drive up I-81 between the PA and NY borders on my way to visit family. Recently (approx. last 2-3 weeks) I've noticed the signal quality of 99.1 The Whale go from crystal clear to absolute garbage in some of the areas it has always sounded fantastic for decades. I first noticed this issue driving through the greater Clarks Summit area. Driving north from there the problem continues. There's no bleed through from another stations. The Whale is Crystal clear one minute and then static, then gone the next. Then clear, then static, then gone.
  • I've noticed the issues mostly coming from the southern part of the listening area on the PA side.
  • Does anyone know if anything happened to the transmitter (damage?), (neglect?), or if the FCC lowered The Whale's coverage area? I'm wondering if it's just a weird weather phenomenon or something has forever changed.
99.1 The Whale has always been my favorite station going back decades, so I'm really hoping someone can shed some light on this.

-Paragon
Ahab finally got revenge on the whale....

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom