• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

98.7 gator palm beach

Definitely some changes were made. The song selection reminds me of a less crappy version of Rock 95.5 in Chicago.

I don't see any music on the log from the past twenty years but I do see plenty of 90s and a tiny bit of early 00s material.

In somewhat related news, 104.3 the Shark is *finally* spiking some heavier rock into its playlist! More spins for RATM. I also saw multiple System of a Down songs. Was pleasantly surprised to see "Would?" by Alice in Chains, Korn, and a Breaking Benjamin song on the log. I didn't see any Metallica, Tool or Avenged Sevenfold unfortunately. Still, what I saw is a marked improvement.

Last edited:
Looking at the recently played list, they've definitely cut back on the usual classic rock staples and are going heavy on the 80s and 90s. Big did the same things a few years back but eventually went back to the typical fare with some 80s and 90s mixed in. I'm not able to pick up Gater on the air where I live, but I can usually find Big playing a song I like when I tune in.

*edit* Excuse me, it's GATOR now. And it's not being billed as classic rock any longer, either, it's the Palm Beaches Rock Station

Last edited:
Definitely some changes were made. The song selection reminds me of a less crappy version of Rock 95.5 in Chicago.

I don't see any music on the log from the past twenty years but I do see plenty of 90s and a tiny bit of early 00s material.

In somewhat related news, 104.3 the Shark is *finally* spiking some heavier rock into its playlist! More spins for RATM. I also saw multiple System of a Down songs. Was pleasantly surprised to see "Would?" by Alice in Chains, Korn, and a Breaking Benjamin song on the log. I didn't see any Metallica, Tool or Avenged Sevenfold unfortunately. Still, what I saw is a marked improvement.
Can only hope we see more improvement from The Shark. Of all the cities I’ve lived in, it’s absolutely the weakest rock station, to the point that I haven’t been able to listen for longer than a song or 2 only to tune out when they play a stinker for the past year and a half that I’ve lived here.

I’m even confused why their COL is listed as Wellington considering they transmit somewhere around the Hobe Sound Area.
Stations all have a COL. However, that city may not be where the most ad revenue lies. So the station tries to locate its transmitter near a larger city or metro area while still putting the necessary strength over the COL. For all practical purposes, the station has moved in every respect except that city of license.

Obviously, not every station can do that sort of thing as locating the transmitter near another and larger population center is not always possible due to other stations on the same channel or adjacent ones.

But as long as they put a required city grade signal over the city of license, it's possible and permitted. That's what lawyers and engineers are for.

Did Jvc Media tried to put a Classic Rock in Palm Beach? The one on 101.7 Why did they Sell that 101.7 station?
and Why they sell 93.5 in Belle Glade?
my other question is would Country on 93.5 or 101.7 have worked?

Did Jvc Media tried to put a Classic Rock in Palm Beach? The one on 101.7 Why did they Sell that 101.7 station?
93.5's signal reaches a whole lotta swamp land.

Do alligators participate in Nielsen? 😉

My guess is it was sold because they realized trying to target the coastal areas of Palm Beach County with that signal was an incredibly stupid idea.

I don't believe JVC owned 101.7. The only station I know of on 101.7 is WCZR in Vero Beach and that's been owned by iHeart for quite some time. JVC did put a rock format on 93.5 but it didn't last long.

In south Florida (an I assume a lot of other locations) FM transmitters are located where they can find a tower. Thus a number of stations whose COL is Boca Raton, Pompano Beach, Oakland Park, etc. transmit from towers located in Hollywood.

Back
Top Bottom