• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

97.9 HD3 still off air

Can someone in iHeartRadio please fix Alt 97.9 HD3? Jeez, then you wonder why we switched to SiriusXM.
I've noticed two variations on iHeart's 97.9 WXTB this past month; sometimes, there's no HD period and at other times, there's no HD2- WFLA, when I wanted to hear a Rays game-(when in Eastern Hernando county at night the 970AM signal is weak and is lost among several other stations). It's sort of like Russian roulette; it's going to be a surprise!

I've noticed two variations on iHeart's 97.9 WXTB this past month; sometimes, there's no HD period and at other times, there's no HD2- WFLA, when I wanted to hear a Rays game-(when in Eastern Hernando county at night the 970AM signal is weak and is lost among several other stations). It's sort of like Russian roulette; it's going to be a surprise!
A RAYS game on 97.9-2, Gracie?

Are you sure you are not confusing them with the Lightning?

The Rays are on 95.7-3 and 96.7, which is now a translator for 620/95.3 WDAE.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

Reactions: drt
I am having a problem with the HDs.

Saturday, I was losing the 95.7-3 on BOTH of my HDs in the car on I-275 and Gandy Bridge. Since I was close enough to the tower, I had both radios on and one appeared to coincide with the momentary loss of the other. They are daisy chained with the same receive antenna in the car.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

A RAYS game on 97.9-2?

Are you sure you are not confusing them with the Lightning?

The Rays are on 95.7-3 and 96.7, which is now a translator for 620/95.3 WDAE.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!
That's a possibility; But the bottom line is that WXTB's HD is often MIA! There are days both play and if I'm in Eastern Hernando county; none of the translators work and the bottom line is not the team, but the bottom line is 97.2HD that is not there!! (regardless of team or other programming).

An interesting sidetone, from my location in St. Petersburg , near the USFSP campus, the 95.3 has spotty reception, don't know why unless some of the taller building in downtown in the path between my house and the transmitter site. So in SP I have to listen to 95.7HD as a substitute for 620 or 95.3. I have learned if a Rays game is not available for me to watch; to tune in to Sirius/XM to the dedicated Rays Channel on the app.

btw- Thank You Jeff; I appreciate all your knowledge and observations! You need to post more!

Last edited:
That's a possibility; But the bottom line is that WXTB's HD is often MIA! There are days both play and if I'm in Eastern Hernando county; none of the translators work and the bottom line is not the team, but the bottom line is 97.2HD that is not there!! (regardless of team or other programming).

An interesting sidetone, from my location in St. Petersburg , near the USFSP campus, the 95.3 has spotty reception, don't know why unless some of the taller building in downtown in the path between my house and the transmitter site. So in SP I have to listen to 95.7HD as a substitute for 620 or 95.3. I have learned if a Rays game is not available for me to watch; to tune in to Sirius/XM to the dedicated Rays Channel on the app.
I extended my subscription for SXM due to not always being within reach of the Rays/Bucs/Bolts broadcasts. With TiVo, I can sync the broadcast and the TV, as I used to do when we had real OTA.

btw- Thank You Jeff; I appreciate all your knowledge and observations! You need to post more!
Thanks.

That made my day!

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

97.9 HD3 is ON.... and delivering RDS information on my receiver... but it's silent.
I purposely listened last night after reading this post.

I don't know what is normally there.

I only listen to 97.9-2 for WFLA, if I listen and since Rush died, I have been listening less and less.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

I purposely listened last night after reading this post.

I don't know what is normally there.

I only listen to 97.9-2 for WFLA, if I listen and since Rush died, I have been listening less and less.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!
Thanks for your report Jeff!

I checked about 1117AM this Wednesday morning and the 97.9HD1 and HD2 were as they should be, but the HD3 was just giving artist and title of songs, but no actual sound. :( ( RDS showed artist as:Sound Garden and title as" Black Hole Sun")

Thanks for your report Jeff!

I checked about 1117AM this Wednesday morning and the 97.9HD1 and HD2 were as they should be, but the HD3 was just giving artist and title of songs, but no actual sound. :( ( RDS showed artist as:Sound Garden and title as" Black Hole Sun")
Did you try inquiring with the station as to what the status is regarding the HD3?

Did you try inquiring with the station as to what the status is regarding the HD3?

It's iheartradio. There's probably no one left in the building to know what's going on with their HD3. Or there is and they just don't care.

It's iheartradio. There's probably no one left in the building to know what's going on with their HD3. Or there is and they just don't care.
That's exactly why I didn't even try, it's iHeart and they will fix it when they're good and ready! (if ever).........I'm not interested in their HD3 format, I was just making a observation for those that might care. Although I might suggest, that for their RDS which is working, it might go to a default title of "Sounds of Silence"!

Well, then I guess if you don't care enough to even try and find out from someone who would know, then listening to their HD3 must not be worth your efforts. Sour grapes perhaps? My bet is keystroke to keystroke, you would have a greater chance of getting relevant information by sending the station and E-mail, than the same number of keystrokes complaining, or asking on some discussion board.

Well, then I guess if you don't care enough to even try and find out from someone who would know, then listening to their HD3 must not be worth your efforts. Sour grapes perhaps? My bet is keystroke to keystroke, you would have a greater chance of getting relevant information by sending the station and E-mail, than the same number of keystrokes complaining, or asking on some discussion board.

Yes, listening to their HD3 is not worth my efforts. Matter of fact, listening to any station there is not worth my effort since I DON'T LIVE IN THE AREA. But iheart being iheart, they have the same issues and more where I live. Let's list their screwups: I've heard two different audio sources going out at the same time on one of their stations. And no, not for a few minutes, it went on for hours. Guess whomever was watching the station that day must have fallen asleep of lost the key to the station. Dead air....so much dead air I thought that maybe they turned in their license. Several of their HD stations not playing for weeks on end. I could go on. If one of their salesmen approached me to advertise on their stations, I'd laugh them out of the building. I remember years ago after Lowry Mays became the biggest broadcaster after buying all those stations he said : "I didn't buy all these stations just to play music. I bought them to sell advertising." And my first thought was "Congratulations, idiot. You just signed the death warrant for your stations."

iHeart got rid of almost all of their engineers depending on their IT people when something goes south. They have "Tiger Teams" which they will fly into a market when there is an outage. Us engineering types know that, while some are very good, IT ain't RF. Seriously false economy.

They'll fix it when they get around to it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom