• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

92.5 flip

Actually the slogan is "la Nueva F-M 92 Punto 5, el Sonido Latina de Tampa Bay." It's nice that the format is Tropical/Salsa and not Raggaetón. Such format makes sense though, as they could cause some serious damage to the old AM'ers 680, 760, 820, 1300 and 1550 (especially 680 and 820). As for all the old Clear Channel flip rumors, maybe this will snuff them? I can't imagine this market supporting any more than one Hispanic FM.

> Actually the slogan is "la Nueva F-M 92 Punto 5, el Sonido
> Latina de Tampa Bay."

"Sonido" is masculine. Maybe I'm nit picking and it is a typo.

> It's nice that the format is
> Tropical/Salsa and not Raggaetón.

It's a mix of salsa, merengue, rhythmic pop and reggaetón. A lot like WRUM in Orlando, in fact.

> Such format makes sense
> though, as they could cause some serious damage to the old
> AM'ers 680, 760, 820, 1300 and 1550 (especially 680 and
> 820).

It will have no effect on the AMs that appeal to Mexican audiences... as a rule, there is no interest in salsa and merengue in this group.

> As for all the old Clear Channel flip rumors, maybe
> this will snuff them? I can't imagine this market
> supporting any more than one Hispanic FM.
>

There have to be around 6 shares available. If getting a 3 appeals to CCU, and they want to keep 92.5 from getting a 5 share, then they might just do it.

On another board there is speculation that the WXDJ morning show will be on 92.5. In this case, they are getting a powerful show to start the station off with.

> > Such format makes sense
> > though, as they could cause some serious damage to the old
> > AM'ers 680, 760, 820, 1300 and 1550 (especially 680 and
> > 820).
>
> It will have no effect on the AMs that appeal to Mexican
> audiences... as a rule, there is no interest in salsa and
> merengue in this group.

I definately agree, but what stations will the new 92.5 take audience from? What were these listeners tuning into up until now?

They are going to take pieces from 93.3 to 105.5 except maybe the country stations.

SJT will probably really feel the pinch.

> > > Such format makes sense
> > > though, as they could cause some serious damage to the
> old
> > > AM'ers 680, 760, 820, 1300 and 1550 (especially 680 and
> > > 820).
> >
> > It will have no effect on the AMs that appeal to Mexican
> > audiences... as a rule, there is no interest in salsa and
> > merengue in this group.
>
> I definately agree, but what stations will the new 92.5 take
> audience from? What were these listeners tuning into up
> until now?

Generally, the AMs but with short TSL and not much passion.

In younger demos, CHR or Hip Hop stations.

> They are going to take pieces from 93.3 to 105.5 except
> maybe the country stations.
>
> SJT will probably really feel the pinch.
>

The FM station that will hurt the most is Wild 98.7.<P ID="signature">______________
-brian holmes
APD/nights - 104.5 WSNX Grand Rapids
weekends - 92.5 KISS FM Toledo
Owner/Webmaster - www.ThePowerPig.com - Tribute to WFLZ/Tampa & www.Q105TampaBay.com - Tribute to WRBQ/Tampa</P>

> The FM station that will hurt the most is Wild 98.7.
>

I bet they're hoping to pull at least a few from the following:
93.3 FLZ, 95.7 The Beat, Wild 98.7, Mega 820

> > The FM station that will hurt the most is Wild 98.7.
>
> I bet they're hoping to pull at least a few from the
> following:
> 93.3 FLZ, 95.7 The Beat, Wild 98.7, Mega 820

I don't think they would "hope" to pull from Wild 98.7 seeing that Infinity owns that one.

> > The FM station that will hurt the most is Wild 98.7.
> >
>
> I bet they're hoping to pull at least a few from the
> following:
> 93.3 FLZ, 95.7 The Beat, Wild 98.7, Mega 820
>

The sharing with English stations by tropical based stations like WRTO or WXDJ in Miami is minimal. These are Spanish dominants. Same with WSKQ in NY, minimal English sharing.

In Miami, WXDJ has less than 15% of its total cume shared with English staitons.

I realize that up to now there may be listeners who settled on an English station, but most would just listen to CDs or the AM stations... just as has happened in other markets.

WRUM in Orlando has not appreciably taken general market shares. It has created its own shares and increased Hispanic TSL... killing the AMs there in the process.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom