• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

'60s Songs You Don't Hear Anymore for Obvious Reasons...

storrs19 said:
"Ballad of The Green Berets" was the #1 song of the entire year in 1966 as it was #1 for 5 weeks. I consider "I'm A Believer" a 1967 song as the bulk of it's #1 ride was in 1967. Amazing how one song never gets played while the other is heard like 3 times a day seemingly.

"Ballad of The Green Berets" was a time piece that was extremely popular with the so-called "silent majority" as an answer to the anti-war movement that was grabbing all of the headlines. It, like Victor Lundberg's "An Open Letter to My Teenage Son", was very relevant in it's time period - but would be absolute death on the radio now. The ultimate "stiff" on your *good times great oldies* station. That's why you don't hear these songs anymore. If you can even call them songs.

Now, some of the other songs listed in this tread are played from time to time, others have been forgotten. My guess is that they don't test well (for whatever reason). Frankly, I wish that I was on the side of the glass where I could be 'tested' - because I'd give "Brown Eyed Girl" and "It's the Same Old Song" two of the biggest thumbs-down you've ever seen!

And, why in the hell can't classic hits stations manage to play the other hits that well-known 60s/70s artists had? Artists like Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, The Supremes, Tommy James and the Shondells, Paul Revere and the Raiders, Stevie Wonder, Jackie Wilson, The Rascals and even The Monkees each had several Top 10 hits during the mid-late 60s that NEVER get airplay anymore. Many of those songs are actually better than the ones that PDs have been running into the ground for years. Pull a few of those out as 'new oldies' - I know I'd sure listen!

Tom Wells wrote:

All these were heard at one time but are now just "too weird" or otherwise icky for mainstreaming.

"Born a Woman" by Sandy Posey
"Mendocino" by Sir Douglas Quintet
"Kaw-Liga" by Hank Williams
"Partygirl" by Bernadette Carrol
"Hair" by The Cowsills
"Let Me " by Paul Revere and the Raiders
"Kill for Peace" and "Nothing" by the Fugs
"Letter from Viet Nam" by Sgt Barry Sadler
"Somethin' Stupid" by Frank and Nancy Sinatra
"Little Red Riding Hood' by Sam the Sham and the Pharohs
"I Think We're Alone Now' by Tommy James and the Shondells
"You're Sixteen, You're Beautiful and You're Mine" Johnny Tilliston and later by Ringo Starr.
"Jesus Christ Superstar" recorded by the broadway cast.
"Indian Giver" by the 1910 Fruitgum Company
I like songs that make people nervous and cause us the question our changing frame of reference.

All of these seem a little weird now and are even better pieces of music because of this.

"I Think..." heard Saturday 10A hour on WLS-FM.

Regards,

RememberWHEN

BRNout said:
storrs19 said:
"Ballad of The Green Berets" was the #1 song of the entire year in 1966 as it was #1 for 5 weeks. I consider "I'm A Believer" a 1967 song as the bulk of it's #1 ride was in 1967. Amazing how one song never gets played while the other is heard like 3 times a day seemingly.

"Ballad of The Green Berets" was a time piece that was extremely popular with the so-called "silent majority" as an answer to the anti-war movement that was grabbing all of the headlines. It, like Victor Lundberg's "An Open Letter to My Teenage Son", was very relevant in it's time period - but would be absolute death on the radio now. The ultimate "stiff" on your *good times great oldies* station. That's why you don't hear these songs anymore. If you can even call them songs.

Now, some of the other songs listed in this tread are played from time to time, others have been forgotten. My guess is that they don't test well (for whatever reason). Frankly, I wish that I was on the side of the glass where I could be 'tested' - because I'd give "Brown Eyed Girl" and "It's the Same Old Song" two of the biggest thumbs-down you've ever seen!

And, why in the hell can't classic hits stations manage to play the other hits that well-known 60s/70s artists had? Artists like Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, The Supremes, Tommy James and the Shondells, Paul Revere and the Raiders, Stevie Wonder, Jackie Wilson, The Rascals and even The Monkees each had several Top 10 hits during the mid-late 60s that NEVER get airplay anymore. Many of those songs are actually better than the ones that PDs have been running into the ground for years. Pull a few of those out as 'new oldies' - I know I'd sure listen!

God I can agree with "Brown Eyed Girl" and "It's The Same Old Song".

How about playing these:
Tommy James & The Shondells - Say I Am, Ball of Fire, Gettin' Together, Mirage, Do Something to Me, Gotta Get BAck To You, Sweet Cherry Wine (Big hit that I never hear)

Supremes - Forever Came Today, Some Things You Never Get Used To, I'm Livin' In Shame, Up The Ladder To The Roof, Stoned Love, Nathan Jones

Paul Revere & The Raiders - Ups & Downs, I Had A Dream, Cinderella Sunshine, Mr. Sun Mr. Moon, Let Me, Birds of a Feather

Grass Roots - Things I Should Have Said, Bella Linda, Lovin' Things, Heaven Knows, Baby Hold On, The Runway

Tommy Roe - Heather Honey, Jack & Jill, Jam Up & Jelly Tight, Dottie I Like It, We Can Make Music (I know the last two were not much of hits but they are great songs)

Stevie Wonder - Travellin' Man, Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Da Day, Never Had A Dream Come True, Heaven Help Us All

Rascals - I Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore, You Better Run (later covered very well by Pat Benatar), It's Wonderful, A Ray Of Hope, Carry Me Back

I could go on and on with another dozen artists but we all know how it is. These stations just crank out the same old 300 songs and the masses enjoy them. Thank God for internet radio.

storrs19 said:
BRNout said:
storrs19 said:

God I can agree with "Brown Eyed Girl" and "It's The Same Old Song".

How about playing these:
Tommy James & The Shondells - Say I Am, Ball of Fire, Gettin' Together, Mirage, Do Something to Me, Gotta Get BAck To You, Sweet Cherry Wine (Big hit that I never hear)

Supremes - Forever Came Today, Some Things You Never Get Used To, I'm Livin' In Shame, Up The Ladder To The Roof, Stoned Love, Nathan Jones

Paul Revere & The Raiders - Ups & Downs, I Had A Dream, Cinderella Sunshine, Mr. Sun Mr. Moon, Let Me, Birds of a Feather

Grass Roots - Things I Should Have Said, Bella Linda, Lovin' Things, Heaven Knows, Baby Hold On, The Runway

Tommy Roe - Heather Honey, Jack & Jill, Jam Up & Jelly Tight, Dottie I Like It, We Can Make Music (I know the last two were not much of hits but they are great songs)

Stevie Wonder - Travellin' Man, Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Da Day, Never Had A Dream Come True, Heaven Help Us All

Rascals - I Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore, You Better Run (later covered very well by Pat Benatar), It's Wonderful, A Ray Of Hope, Carry Me Back

I could go on and on with another dozen artists but we all know how it is. These stations just crank out the same old 300 songs and the masses enjoy them. Thank God for internet radio.
You beat me to the punch with "Ball of Fire". Re, Paul Revere, how about "Do You Miss America" and "...The Grass won't pay no mind",?
written by Niel Diamond.

FIRST, this thread really took off. Thanks to all of you for jumping in and making it such an interesting discussion!

Now, back to business--- "On Broadway Tonight" by the Four Seasons. Released in '65 (?) as the title song for a TV show of
the same name, hosted by golden age crooner Rudy Vallee. The "show" showcased up and coming
talent, singers and comics. The scene of Richard Pryor's TV debut!

"Sally Go Round the Roses" by the Jaynetts, again 1965 (? again). Wikipedia tells a fascinating
story about this recording. Took a week to record. A total of 20-vocalists reportedly dropped
vocal tracks, although the Jaynettes themselves were a one-hit wonder group of five. Buddy
Miles rumored to be the drummer. "B" side is the instrumental bed. In a contest of songs that
"should" have ranked as enduring classics, this song would walk away the trophy!

nocomradio said:
Brewer and Shipley and Stray Cats are 70's and 80's respectively. I agree they are never heard anymore for reason mentioned though.
Doesn't really matter what decade they're from, if they don't get played anymore for reasons of political correctness, they deserve a mention here.

Apparently, a passing mention of a minor is still okay. "I Saw Her Standing There," "I Love Rock and Roll," and "Into the Night" all still receive airplay. Interesting to note that on Tiffany's cover version "I Saw Him Standing There," she was only 15 herself when she sang that line! :eek:

storrs19 said:
It's worth noting that most of those were hits that the Supremes had after Diana Ross left the group, although many of her solo hits also never get airplay anymore. I would add "Nothing But Heartaches" to your list. And I DO occasionally still hear "Up the Ladder to the Roof," although the station that plays it is satellite fed, at least an hour away from me, and increasingly hard for me to pick up! :'(

storrs19 said:
I'm increasingly hearing the Smash Mouth version of "I'm A Believer," probably because it is much more recent, and it seems to be coming at the expense of airplay for the Monkees' version. Interesting to also note that I hardly ever hear any other Smash Mouth hits anymore, either.

You beat me to the punch with "Ball of Fire". Re, Paul Revere, how about "Do You Miss America" and "...The Grass won't pay no mind",? written by Niel Diamond.

Oh yeah, Mark Lindsay had several great songs including "Miss America", "And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind", "Silver Bird" and "Arizona". Frankly I never hear any of these and the last was a top 10 hit I believe. The saddest part of all of this is that stations continue to make money so I guess the sheeple want to hear the same old 300 songs. Another couple of artists who are all but ignored is Roger Miller and Andy Kim. Both had several hits in the mid to late 1960's yet you never hear anything except "King of The Road" by Roger Miller and "Rock Me Gently" by Andy Kim.

storrs19 said:
You beat me to the punch with "Ball of Fire". Re, Paul Revere, how about "Do You Miss America" and "...The Grass won't pay no mind",? written by Niel Diamond.

Oh yeah, Mark Lindsay had several great songs including "Miss America", "And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind", "Silver Bird" and "Arizona". Frankly I never hear any of these and the last was a top 10 hit I believe. The saddest part of all of this is that stations continue to make money so I guess the sheeple want to hear the same old 300 songs. Another couple of artists who are all but ignored is Roger Miller and Andy Kim. Both had several hits in the mid to late 1960's yet you never hear anything except "King of The Road" by Roger Miller and "Rock Me Gently" by Andy Kim.
Yes, would enjoy hearing those other Mark Lindsay songs. "Engine Engine #9", another Roger Miller crossover, would also be fun to hear today. And I believe Andy Ki'm's "Geen-Eyed Lady" was more edgy, more powerful than "Rock Me...", which may explain why we don't hear much airplay on that one either. Percussion work on "Green-Eyed..." rivals the masterpiece by Dire Straits, "Sultan of Swing".

BRNout said:
Many of those songs are actually better than the ones that PDs have been running into the ground for years. Pull a few of those out as 'new oldies' - I know I'd sure listen!

Agreed 110%..........Been saying the same thing for over 20 years! Many, many listeners will catch on and realize, there's more to just "My Girl" and "Low Rider"

BRNout said:
Frankly, I wish that I was on the side of the glass where I could be 'tested' - because I'd give "Brown Eyed Girl" and "It's the Same Old Song" two of the biggest thumbs-down you've ever seen!

Yes, two very overplayed songs that should only be played once a week at most!

My theory is (and I know David Eduardo will disagree) is that the only reason we hear what we hear on classic hits stations, is because we have been force fed the same, repetitive music for years on radio, so as to the new listeners tuning in the classic hits and of course, never lived in the classic era, to them it's something "new" and accept and TEST these songs as the ONLY oldies they are familiar with and ever have heard! And since radio does not cater to 55+ (supposedly), we are stuck hearing the same limited songs that the 35-40 year olds enjoy, NOT what WE enjoy and remember, back in the day!!

A few songs that are rarely or never heard from the 60's:

Cherry Hill Park - Billy Joe Royal- 1969
Hang 'Em High - Booker T & MG's - 1968/69
Moody River - Pat Boone - 1961
It Must Be Him - Vicki Carr - 1967

jfrancispastirchak said:
I believe Andy Kim's "Green-Eyed Lady" was more edgy, more powerful than "Rock Me...", which may explain why we don't hear much airplay on that one either. Percussion work on "Green-Eyed..." rivals the masterpiece by Dire Straits, "Sultan of Swing".
"Green-Eyed Lady?" Wasn't that Sugarloaf, not Andy Kim?

Les Stock said:
jfrancispastirchak said:
I believe Andy Kim's "Green-Eyed Lady" was more edgy, more powerful than "Rock Me...", which may explain why we don't hear much airplay on that one either. Percussion work on "Green-Eyed..." rivals the masterpiece by Dire Straits, "Sultan of Swing".

"Green Eyed Lady" was Sugarloaf. And it too deserves to be put out as well. Its a 5 times a week staple around here along with America's "Horse With No Name" and Looking Glass' "Brandy" Well worn and overplayed.

Earlier was mentioned "Wives and Lovers."

In another thread somewhere, was a discussion that mentioned "For the Love of Him" by Bobbi Martin, which reached #13 at the very end of the 60s or early 1970. It was a great song, but you won't hear it on the oldies stations anymore, likely due to the lyric content. Imagine.....telling other women to to love your husband, and treat him with the utmost respect! The gall!!

cd

Les Stock said:
jfrancispastirchak said:

Andy Kim was front vocalist for Sugarloaf.

I never heard that before. I can't find anything anywhere that ties Andy Kim in with Sugarloaf. Andy Kim was a popular songwriter (probably best known for co-writing "Sugar Sugar" for The Archies) but had several hits on his own and many top 10 hits here in Louisville like: How'd We Ever Get This Way, Rainbow Ride, So Good Together, Baby I Love You, and Be My Baby.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom