• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

60s on 6 moving to channel 73, changing name to 60s Gold.

What? Are you okay?
No TOH? You do know that there is no top of the hour ID required on satellite radio, do you?
I am 100% fine thank you...yes. I know they aren't required to do so but the DJ would do a talk up and then the jingle which is a knockoff of the WLS TOH would play..I'm sorry if your limited intelligence/experience didn't catch that.

I am 100% fine thank you...yes. I know they aren't required to do so but the DJ would do a talk up and then the jingle which is a knockoff of the WLS TOH would play..I'm sorry if your limited intelligence/experience didn't catch that.
So, you're upset because they aren't mimicking what terrestrial stations were required to do? Really?
Maybe it's not that I'm being thick, but more in disbelief that someone would be so offended by something that unimportant.

The WLS jingles were not "exclusive" and did not belong to them. They were just the best known user of the packages they employed over the years. Sound-alike packages are not "knockoffs" but simply represent a sale of a package to a different market or medium.

In a number of cases, an important station would work with one of the major jingle companies to develop a new package, and then the jingle company would syndicate it in other markets and even countries. But the ownership and distribution belonged to the jingle company in nearly every case.

The WLS jingles were not "exclusive" and did not belong to them. They were just the best known user of the packages they employed over the years. Sound-alike packages are not "knockoffs" but simply represent a sale of a package to a different market or medium.

In a number of cases, an important station would work with one of the major jingle companies to develop a new package, and then the jingle company would syndicate it in other markets and even countries. But the ownership and distribution belonged to the jingle company in nearly every case.
Oh I know PAMS did them for others...but the Musicradio WLS era was the one they stood out..in fact I used them on my station..."Musicradio Double-L S" lol..worked great....Jeff Davis, former night jock of WLS, did the voice imaging and the TOH

Oh I know PAMS did them for others...but the Musicradio WLS era was the one they stood out..in fact I used them on my station..."Musicradio Double-L S" lol..worked great....Jeff Davis, former night jock of WLS, did the voice imaging and the TOH
Then what's the problem with Sirius/XM using one of the packages for a nostalgia channel? Since that package was widely used elsewhere in the US and other countries, many listeners will identify with it because it was used on their local station anywhere else in the US.

And the WLS "package" was really a series of packages that updated regularly within the same musical logo.

So, you're upset because they aren't mimicking what terrestrial stations were required to do? Really?
Maybe it's not that I'm being thick, but more in disbelief that someone would be so offended by something that unimportant.
Drop in on one of the various satellite radio groups on Facebook and you'll see plenty of outrage over things that would amaze you, not only the lack of TOH shtick on 60s on 6. (XM, before the takeover, would not only run the "pow-pow-power" jingle at the top of every hour but ring the "Beatle bell," a chime that would signal the playing of a Beatles track. You'd be surprised how many people miss that!)

There are also numerous complaints when SXM is slow to change channel logos or, heaven forbid, messes up on the album art that appears along with the logo/artist/title on newer radios. It is really quite comical the way some think their listening experience is diminished if the wrong Sonny & Cher album cover shows up while "I Got You Babe" is playing!

Last edited:
Drop in on one of the various satellite radio groups on Facebook and you'll see plenty of outrage over things that would amaze you, not only the lack of TOH shtick on 60s on 6. (XM, before the takeover, would not only run the "pow-pow-power" jingle at the top of every hour but ring the "Beatle bell," a chime that would signal the playing of a Beatles track. You'd be surprised how many people miss that!

There are also numerous complaints when SXM is slow to change channel logos or, heaven forbid, messes up on the album art that appears along with the logo/artist/title on newer radios. It is really quite comical the way some think their listening experience is diminished if the wrong Sonny & Cher album cover shows up while "I Got You Babe" is playing!
Heaven forbid it be from a Greatest Hits album LOL (like seemingly most on Spotify). At least before the channel switch, Pat St. John played the CKLW version of the famous Drake tymp (with Hal Blaine on drums) at the 15 minute mark of some hours with a singing jingle (Pat worked at The Big 8 in the 70s). The 60s Satellite Survey has a Drake-sounding knock-off to start the show.

SiriusXM rolled out unhosted versions of 60s Gold, 70s on 7 and 80s on 8, as well as unhosted Deep Cut versions on the app and website. That could be of concern if you still like hosted channels

So did the "important" station get any compensation from the jingle company when they sold the package to other stations?

Drop in on one of the various satellite radio groups on Facebook and you'll see plenty of outrage over things that would amaze you, not only the lack of TOH shtick on 60s on 6. (XM, before the takeover, would not only run the "pow-pow-power" jingle at the top of every hour but ring the "Beatle bell," a chime that would signal the playing of a Beatles track. You'd be surprised how many people miss that!)
If that sort of nit-picky details gets them irate, then in my view they should consider a different hobby. Certainly for their health's sake. The words of Bill Shatner during a classic SNL appearance comes to mind:

That's been a long-standing issue when the PAD data either stops displaying album art, or if the individual radio loses the PAD header, so the previous song album art remains even though the song changes. Not much you can do about either. Some packets just don't make it. No need to get upset about it.

That's been a long-standing issue when the PAD data either stops displaying album art, or if the individual radio loses the PAD header, so the previous song album art remains even though the song changes. Not much you can do about either. Some packets just don't make it. No need to get upset about it.
I see the problem sometimes on radio stations that stream online. It's nice to have the information, if it's correct, but I would like it to be correct.

One reason for being correct is maybe someone wants to buy the song. WDUV's web site was one where that used to be possible, right there where the 'last songs played' were.

Then what's the problem with Sirius/XM using one of the packages for a nostalgia channel? Since that package was widely used elsewhere in the US and other countries, many listeners will identify with it because it was used on their local station anywhere else in the US.

And the WLS "package" was really a series of packages that updated regularly within the same musical logo.
Uhh no problem....I guess I'm am being misunderstood...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom