• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

107.7 in Toledo - format change possible?

Station has flipped to all-Christmas, still ID'ing as 107-7 The Wolf, but no mention of "country."

Facebook page is down, and the Twitter page has been set to private.

No Facebook, no Twitter, hmmmm. Unless the station has entered a witness protection program, I'd say a format change is a pretty good guess. The Wolf doesn't appear in the published 12+ ratings, so no idea how it's doing against the market's No. 1 overall station, WKKO, but it's unlikely there are a significant number of country shares remaining in Toledo with WKKO posting 8s and 9s in most books.

But what does it flip to? All the major money-demo formats except urban have stations already doing well, and the Toledo area doesn't seem to have enough black or Hispanic residents to make a rhythmic format work.

GIven that the Motown music scene is in Toledo's DNA, if someone can figure out how to "sell" an older audience, I'd say that an adult-leaning rhythmic oldies format could certainly attract and audience - in town, and in the outlying suburbs and small towns.

They're the third country station in a market that really can only support two stations.

So sure, flip formats. Or get out of the business completely.

They're the third country station in a market that really can only support two stations.

So sure, flip formats. Or get out of the business completely.
Not sure which station you count as the second the market can support. Besides The Wolf, WMIM and WCKY-FM also target Toledo. Both show up in the ratings but both are consistent at or just above 1.0 in audience share. That's poor even for a flanker, I would think. How do you figure that the market is supporting more than WKKO?

How do you figure that the market is supporting more than WKKO?

I was generous in saying it can support 2. You always expect some competition. But iHeart is using its station to clear Bobby Bones and a bunch of out of town VT. Anything else is off the grid. The Wolf was previously owned by iHeart. Perhaps the next stop is religious.

I'll be darned. The FB page wasn't working from my desktop PC.

Note that it's been 19 days since they've last posted. Prior to that, 1 to 2 posts a week were common.

Something definitely is up. Either layoffs, an upcoming format change, or both.

Toledo has four country stations when counting 103.7 from Tiffin.

Speaking of digital property management, 107.7's online stream is a mess. I just heard two audio sources playing over one another. One was faint Christmas music; the other was a much louder music bed.

Edit - now the audio stream sounds good. The glitch must've been short lived.

Last edited:
This Facebook page?

Not saying there isn't anything going on, but at this point I also see nothing that leads me to believe a format change is definitely happening. Just typical radio not knowing how to manage their digital properties.
And a stand-alone operation with zero economy of scale, no less.
The Wolf was previously owned by iHeart. Perhaps the next stop is religious.
107.7 is a move-in from Lima that Clear Channel was forced to sell off after they were taken private (WCKY’s former AM sister, WTTF, was also sold at the same time).

107.7 is a move-in from Lima that Clear Channel was forced to sell off after they were taken private (WCKY’s former AM sister, WTTF, was also sold at the same time).
Lima has a 107.5, would that move in be from Findlay instead?

Actually 107.7 was licensed to NORTH BALTIMORE, OH with a transmitter site between Findlay and Fostoria before its current location near Bowling Green.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom