• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

107.5 WGPR's future?

What's the dillio with 107.5 WGPR?

The Time Brokerage Agreement between WGPR, Inc. and Urban One's subsidiary (Bell Broadcasting Company) expired on December 31. Yet, Hot 107.5's programming continues to air!

Paragraph 13 and Schedule 18 contain some interesting language. The former requires Urban One to "cooperate" in transitioning WGPR back to its its pre-TBA operating condition. The latter basically grants Urban One privileges akin to a right of first refusal (regarding any future TBA or outright sale of the station) up to six months following the Termination Date - i.e. up to six months following December 31, 2019.

There seem to be no murmurs about any other broadcaster being interested in WGPR!

Ostensibly, the Free & Modern Masons (the equity interest holder in WGPR, Inc.) could always try to negotiate a deal with Urban One to acquire Hot 107.5's intellectual property, but why bother? The station has been one of the weakest FM billers in the Detroit market for years. There are several FM stations in Grand Rapids that rake in more revenue than Hot 107.5! Typical FM station in Detroit bills between $4 million and $10 million annually; I believe Hot 107.5 has been hanging around the $2 million mark.

The Masons need to cut their losses and sell WGPR altogether. Surprised that they are holding on to a frequency with great potential.

The Masons need to cut their losses and sell WGPR altogether. Surprised that they are holding on to a frequency with great potential.

Not sure they have losses. They likely have no debt on the station and basically just collect a check from Urban One. They are likely getting paid month to month.

I believe the Masons have neither the desire nor ability to return to running WGPR. A full power commercial FM in Detroit would being a decent price. If they are smart, they'll market it, but then, they should've been doing this well in advance of the expiration of the LMA and that doesn't seem to be the case.

Ostensibly, the Free & Modern Masons (the equity interest holder in WGPR, Inc.)

I always thought they were known as the "free and accepted masons." Oh well. There was a time when such organizations bought radio stations as investments. Such as the Chicago Federation of Labor. Not so much any more (at least directly). I'm sure some own stock of radio companies through mutual funds and the like.

I got a little lazy and used shorthand. :)

Here's the full name:
International Free and Accepted Modern Masons, Inc.

Nationwide Insurance used to be a large owner of radio stations. The UAW owned 101.9 WDET many moons ago.

I got a little lazy and used shorthand. :)

I have several friends who are masons, and they are very emphatic about being accepted.

Yes I know about the UAW and WDET. They donated the station to Wayne State. Nationwide was one of many insurance companies, including Jefferson Pilot and National Life (original owner of WSM).

Is Radio One still LMA on WGPR or WGPR is now run by the Free Mason who was running the old WGPR before Radio One LMA?

What's the dillio with 107.5 WGPR?

The Time Brokerage Agreement between WGPR, Inc. and Urban One's subsidiary (Bell Broadcasting Company) expired on December 31. Yet, Hot 107.5's programming continues to air!

Paragraph 13 and Schedule 18 contain some interesting language. The former requires Urban One to "cooperate" in transitioning WGPR back to its its pre-TBA operating condition. The latter basically grants Urban One privileges akin to a right of first refusal (regarding any future TBA or outright sale of the station) up to six months following the Termination Date - i.e. up to six months following December 31, 2019.

There seem to be no murmurs about any other broadcaster being interested in WGPR!

Ostensibly, the Free & Modern Masons (the equity interest holder in WGPR, Inc.) could always try to negotiate a deal with Urban One to acquire Hot 107.5's intellectual property, but why bother? The station has been one of the weakest FM billers in the Detroit market for years. There are several FM stations in Grand Rapids that rake in more revenue than Hot 107.5! Typical FM station in Detroit bills between $4 million and $10 million annually; I believe Hot 107.5 has been hanging around the $2 million mark.
And here we are 11 months later, and nothing has changed.

Hot 107.5 is highly reliant on out of market syndicated programming these days. Only two local on-air personalities are employed by the station. Reminiscent of the old WGPR days, the station once again sells blocks of airtime on Sunday, although not nearly to the extent of pre-Radio One operation of the station.

Indeed, the playlist and generally stationality haven't changed much. It appears the International Free and Accepted Modern Masons dba "WGPR, Inc." intend to run the station on auto-pilot. I have no idea if they have any desire to unload it or not. Would certainly make an ideal fifth station for Entercom, who could use it to rebroadcast AM 950 WWJ.

Hot 107.5 is highly reliant on out of market syndicated programming these days. Only two local on-air personalities are employed by the station. Reminiscent of the old WGPR days, the station once again sells blocks of airtime on Sunday, although not nearly to the extent of pre-Radio One operation of the station.

Indeed, the playlist and generally stationality haven't changed much. It appears the International Free and Accepted Modern Masons dba "WGPR, Inc." intend to run the station on auto-pilot. I have no idea if they have any desire to unload it or not. Would certainly make an ideal fifth station for Entercom, who could use it to rebroadcast AM 950 WWJ.

WWJ on 107.5 would never happen. If anything the programming would be geared for a minority audience, Beasley could still work out a deal and make it a Classic Soul station or perhaps IHeart could make a deal and WGPR could simulcast BIN from AM1130.

Two other possibilities, Kevin Adele could pay for simulcasting WFDF or R.J. Watkins could make a deal to run WGPR and provide programming as well. There has been some simulcasting of WHPR TV 33 audio on WGPR HD 2 in past weeks.

Didn't Mr. Watkins run afoul of FCC rules several years ago with 88.1 FM in Highland Park, or was that someone else?

I was unaware WGPR-HD had reactivated an HD-2 field! I generally have no reason to tune into WGPR (I hate the music), and I am not a fan of how HD radio sounds in my car. Many FM stations have tinny sounding artifacts. Often, I deactivate HD mode on the car radio.

Didn't Mr. Watkins run afoul of FCC rules several years ago with 88.1 FM in Highland Park, or was that someone else?

I was unaware WGPR-HD had reactivated an HD-2 field! I generally have no reason to tune into WGPR (I hate the music), and I am not a fan of how HD radio sounds in my car. Many FM stations have tinny sounding artifacts. Often, I deactivate HD mode on the car radio.

It’s just not your vehicle that HD sounds crappy, HD Radio is just a crappy sound period. As far as R.J.Watkins not sure about his FCC business but he has some type of interest in WGPR what it is I don’t know at this point. I’m sure someone will do something with WGPR, it would be great if someone would get a hold of Charles Johnson (Electrifying Mojo) and bring back some great Motor City originality to Detroit Radio.

Re:

A blend of classic soul, 80s R&B and smooth jazz is what WGPR should be playing, in my opinion. The station should have an upscale sound.

A blend of classic soul, 80s R&B and smooth jazz is what WGPR should be playing, in my opinion. The station should have an upscale sound.

I totally agree with you Mark. At some point something needs to be done to make money on that signal, the bills need to be paid.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom