• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

106.9, KFRC-San Francisco

DavidEduardo said:
If it was playing 60's, it was an oldies station. 60's songs do not research at all to the classic hits core.

So you wouldn't play Rescue Me or Reflections or My Girl or Brown Eyed Girl or Unchained Melody or Yesterday or It's The Same Old Song or Turn Turn Turn or Mrs Robinson... all 60's songs (and others) that would fit and are easily recognizable by multiple demos.

Flip Flop

lash said:
Did anyone else research the classic hits stations posted above? KOVE is in Wyoming, and not Houston. While others are regional mexican formatted stations. The ones that list classic hits, are also spanish programmed.

KOVE AM is in Wyoming. KOVE-FM is in Houston on 106.5.

These are completely different formats than what we are talking about.

No, they are 70's and 80's classic hits formats, with a tiny number of 60's and quite a bit of 90's music. Same format.

Please research KOOL-Phoenix. WOGL-Philly WODS-Boston and others.

Classified as oldies, not classic hits. KOOL's strength is a broad morning show, by the way. the other two are 55+ heavy.

The answer to another question above. How many classic hits stations have I programmed. One! And that's one more than you.

Actually, my count is 12.

wgliradio said:
So you wouldn't play Rescue Me or Reflections or My Girl or Brown Eyed Girl or Unchained Melody or Yesterday or It's The Same Old Song or Turn Turn Turn or Mrs Robinson... all 60's songs (and others) that would fit and are easily recognizable by multiple demos.

Flip Flop

Brown Eyed Girl is close enough to the turn of the decade... the others would not be played... in fact, Mrs. robinson does not research well at most traditional oldies outlets, even.

Your on the wrong board here. Your formats are under another category.

94.5 KOOL FM-The Greatest Hits Of All Time. That's the slogan line in Phoenix. Don't see the word oldies anywhere.

Wrong again!

The CBS classic hits/oldies stations are very good. Best of their kind in the country, known as the United States of America.

lash said:
Your on the wrong board here. Your formats are under another category.

And what other category would classic hits of the 70's and 80's be?

94.5 KOOL FM-The Greatest Hits Of All Time. That's the slogan line in Phoenix. Don't see the word oldies anywhere.

"Oldies" does not have to be in the positioning statement for the station to be Oldies in format. Look at MediaBase, please. As far as they get into the 70's is Steam, Looking Glass, etc. And they played Mr. Tambourine Man more than any other song in the last 12 weeks. That's oldies, without the early 60's and without much more than Creedence and Croce as far as getting into the 70's.

Wrong again!

Nope. Quite a few oldies stations have dropéd the oldies term, as it makes people feel, well, old. KOOL is one of them.

No doubt the new KOOL PD is trying, slowly, to nudge the station into the 70's and 80's gradually as the sales have flattened due to the old demos creeping up on them. Very smart move to do it slowly, a few years at a time, and drop the pre-Brit stuff, too.

The CBS classic hits/oldies stations are very good. Best of their kind in the country, known as the United States of America.

WOGL good? It wins by default. Time will tell with KFRC... if they add great talent, they win. Otherwise, they are lost in the iPod world.

DavidEduardo said:
Brown Eyed Girl is close enough to the turn of the decade... the others would not be played... in fact, Mrs. robinson does not research well at most traditional oldies outlets, even.

You are out to lunch

Isn't KBRG in San Francisco a Spanish station? If it is now English, lemme know, I'll check it out. There is always room for one more station on my presets.

1069_KIFR said:
Isn't KBRG in San Francisco a Spanish station? If it is now English, lemme know, I'll check it out. There is always room for one more station on my presets.

It's classic hits... in Spanish.

wgliradio said:
DavidEduardo said:
If it was playing 60's, it was an oldies station. 60's songs do not research at all to the classic hits core.

Flip Flop

Actually..."Brown Eyed Girl" and a handful of late 60's titles do very well with the Classic Hits core. Not a lot of titles,
but a cherry-picked handful.

lash said:
Flip Flop!

wgliradio said:
Flip Flop

Lash and wgliradio... May I suggest an appropriate rearrangement in that word-order?

“FLOP” then “FLIP”... And don’t forget DE’s affinity for the F-1 key [“HELP!”] —first in Maximi$er —and now it appears that he’s discovered its utility in Selector also!

DavidEduardo said:
Funny, but over 90% of teens actually use radio.

hipporadio said:
I see you have found the “F1 key” on the Maximi$er program [which can turn a sow’s ear into a silk purse on demand].

The F1 key is the "help" key and does no such thing; if you are trying to be funny you failed...

As I said...

“H-E-L-P!” :D

hipporadio said:
“FLOP” then “FLIP”... And don’t forget DE’s affinity for the F-1 key [“HELP!”] —first in Maximi$er —and now it appears that he’s discovered its utility in Selector also!

Don´t dorget I do not even use Selector, and the data from ratings i cited was from "PPM Analyst" as Maximiser does not work with PPM data.

O for 2 there.

DavidEduardo said:

BTW: We have heard Mrs. Robinson on CBS-FM........... along with a host of others that you probably don't agree with either.

wgliradio said:
DavidEduardo said:

BTW: We have heard Mrs. Robinson on CBS-FM........... along with a host of others that you probably don't agree with either.

It's not about agreeing or not. It is about what listeners have indicated a preference for. If they have tested in New York, they may have found that S&G do well enough to play... as they have 6 titles on the air. It's surprising, but no more than finding that KC and the Sunshine band still test in Miami.

DavidEduardo said:
wgliradio said:
DavidEduardo said:

It's not about agreeing or not. It is about what listeners have indicated a preference for. If they have tested in New York, they may have found that S&G do well enough to play... as they have 6 titles on the air. It's surprising, but no more than finding that KC and the Sunshine band still test in Miami.

You'll find the "new" CBS-FM playlist will include core artists with strong NYC recognition, like Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen, Four Seasons (+ Frankie Valli solo) and Simon & Garfunkel (+ Paul Simon solo).

fang39 said:
You'll find the "new" CBS-FM playlist will include core artists with strong NYC recognition, like Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen, Four Seasons (+ Frankie Valli solo) and Simon & Garfunkel (+ Paul Simon solo).

That sounds reasonable and strategic, too. While I have assumed they did some music testing prior to the launch, it may be that they did not and are playing it by ear until they have a big enough cume to recruit real listeners... it would have been hard to find listeners prior to the launch, as if they asked about "CBS FM" or "oldies" listening, people would react to the old CBS-FM. That is both gutsy and smart, too. The novelty value of the new format is certainly enough to sustain them 60 to 90 days, and then they can test on real listeners.

DavidEduardo said:

We were talking about NYC with Mrs. Robinson. I wonder if KFRC has it as well?

I'm sure your 7th sense would say Alley Oop wouldn't test well, yet that is on at CBS-FM as well (1960!)

Care to try again?

wgliradio said:
DavidEduardo said:

We were talking about NYC with Mrs. Robinson. I wonder if KFRC has it as well?

I'm sure your 7th sense would say Alley Oop wouldn't test well, yet that is on at CBS-FM as well (1960!)

Care to try again?

Sure. Alley Oop has played 1 time since CBS-FM launched the new format; most of us at some period have done the "Dreaded Morning Oldie" or unearthed a novelty song for single-play value. CBS is obviously trying to do some interesting and pretty innovative things to make people comment on the station... they undobtedly know that word of mouth is going to be important to counter the negativity currounding the change to Jack, and this is one example. I am waiting to hear "Ballad of the Green Berets" too.

Back to Mr. Oop... only three of the 1900 MediaBase stations in the USA played it in the last 12 weeks, so you can see that there was a reason for playing it on CBS-FM that went into the realm of getting talk...

P.S. Mrs. Robinson gets one about one play a week on KFRC, apparently weekends on a specialty show in the evenings. That and Sounds of Silence, also played in that daypart, are the only S&G they play.

And that's what radio stations should be doing, throwing listeners a bone once in awhile, thinking outside the box. The CBS-FM living message board by Orin Scrivello, while not a CBS vehicle, does help cross promote the station and does nothing but positive things for the station to have staffers and jocks interact with listeners and fans.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom