• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

104.3 history

After Top 40 started crashing in the early 90s, B104 flipped to Variety on February 18, 1992. It became Soft in 1994 after Mix bought them out, then Soft, then what? Does anyone have any audio of format changes or IDs of 104.3 before the Z?

After WSSF, 104.3 went 70's as WOCT "The Colt." Colt eventually went to more of a classic rock format, and I believe it went straight to smooth jazz a few years later. It seems like it had a new rock/alternative format after smooth jazz and flipped to its current format not too long after.

In my opinion 104.3 has not givin any of their formats much of a chance to succeed, I thought that the classic rock format was good and also the modern rock format sort of took the place of HFS but i believe they lasted but 18 months at the most, but what do i know When WQSR went to Jack i gave it maybe a year but its been going strong now for 8 years.

CCs Channel 1043 wasn't bad but didn't get much chance to gain traction. Its sister station in Philly,Radio 1045,is pulling in good ratings despite a rather tame playlist of 'safe' Modern/Alternative. And amazingly both stations had that 'local flavor' and played alot of what HFS and Y100 did before thier demise.

Hi

I Think I can fill in some blank info first off the info on wikapidia is misleading at best. 104.3 was the first FM station in Maryland to go on the air back in 1947 they transmitted from 1230 Curtain Av until 1977 when the new tower went up in Perry Hall. WITH FM at the time simulcasted top 40 on fm back in the early 60's for a while.

In the early 70's they had an album rock format for a while it was automated. I started listening to FM in mid 1974 there was a new top 40 station my friends at school were listening to . It was WDJQ disc jockeys on Q or Q 104 also known as the Super Q .( The station was the brainchild of Baltimore DJ and programer Edd Graham )The station used live dj's from 6am to midnight during the week and till 6pm on weekends it was automated at night. The live DJ's did a good job it was a broader playlist than WLPL they played mainly rock hits. automation was problematic sometimes it played 2 or 3 songs at the same time( I found this entertaining at the time ) some of the DJ's were Jay Christianson ,John (Baron) Wolf, Jack Diamond and Brother Dave Harrison the transmitter site gave poor coverage to the south Glen Burnie Columbia area's and the management had no commitment to the format FM in those days was a loss leader. After the new site went on early 1977 they also were 50kw but by then it was to late they pulled the plug.

And replaced Q 104 with a middle of the road format called DJ 104 (but without any dj's go figure) this was the first attempt at an AC format on fm in Baltimore but it was all over the place Roger Witicker to Steve Miller yeah it was that strange. It didn't last long WFBR bought 96 fm from WISZ and turned it into Z96. For 10 to 12 months the station returned to beautiful music as WITH FM. Then Ed Graham brought the station back as top 40 Music 104 and that ran until Scripts Howard took over and changed it to B104 the rest is history I hope this helps

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom