• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KKSF-FM and KKSF-AM 910 might there be a simulcast coming next week? News/Talk on AM and FM? Stranger things have happened in this the city by the bay....Well?

RadioStarOne said:
KKSF-FM and KKSF-AM 910 might there be a simulcast coming next week? News/Talk on AM and FM? Stranger things have happened in this the city by the bay....Well?

My guess is they'll do the simulcast thing in the Bay Area and L.A., much like they already have in Sacramento.

RadioStarOne said:

I doubt it. Again - 103.7 gets better ratings and makes more revenue than 910. Killing a station with decent ratings to simulcast a station with negligible ratings would be a Bizarro World business decision.

Also - they've been pushing the arrival of Don Bleu on January 3rd. What would Don do to fill up 3 or 4 hours of talk-radio time.."All Bleupers all the Time?"

Lkeller said:
RadioStarOne said:

I doubt it. Again - 103.7 gets better ratings and makes more revenue than 910. Killing a station with decent ratings to simulcast a station with negligible ratings would be a Bizarro World business decision.

Also - they've been pushing the arrival of Don Bleu on January 3rd. What would Don do to fill up 3 or 4 hours of talk-radio time.."All Bleupers all the Time?"

You're assuming business decisions always make sense. ;)

I saw a posting for a Don Bleu co-host, so a flip is probably not coming soon. Why change call letters?

Steven Roy said:
Lkeller said:
RadioStarOne said:

You're assuming business decisions always make sense. ;)

I saw a posting for a Don Bleu co-host, so a flip is probably not coming soon. Why change call letters?

No - business decisions don't always make sense, but generally speaking, they are made to maximize revenue. Simulcasting a loser station just because it has made a few improvements - doesn't make any sense. Gene Burns and Len Tillem's audience will follow them to 910 without a simulcast - same with the Rush faithful.

I would assume the call letters changed on 910 because somebody at Clear Channel thought K-K-S-F had a good ring for a talk station...kind of like KSFO. If you'll notice, 103.7 has not been branded as "KKSF," or "KKSF-FM" since the Smooth Jazz format - it's just something they say once an hour to conform with FCC requirements.

Finally - Don Bleu is a DISC-JOCKEY music radio personality, not a talk host. Aren't Armstrong & Getty going to stay at 910? From what I understand, A&G have a bit of a following, and have been the only bright-spot in 910's programming in the past - why risk that to make a DJ into a talk host?

Oops! I forgot about Armstrong and Getty, they aren't going anywhere. No similcast there. Red and white on AM, Bleu on FM hands down...

Radio basics, guys. Now that there is a KKSF-AM in the market, 103.7 is required to ID as KKSF-FM. There's no need for "Oldies" to change call letters, and they may have some value in the future, so Clear Channel is wise to hold onto them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom