• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

101.3 WQIL - Chauncey/Dublin

State Broadcasting in Dublin has flipped WQIL from CHR to Classic Rock, while maintaining the Q101.3 moniker, so far. Also, the music is nearly identical to iHeart’s WQBZ (Q106-3) in nearby Macon. I haven’t heard a single song on WQIL that does not play on WQBZ.

Is it wise to maintain the Q101.3 moniker? In fact was it ever wise, even as a CHR? After all, they share half their coverage area (including Warner Robins) with Macon’s heritage Q106-3, and now doing it with an identical playlist, as mentioned earlier.

Why wouldn’t they choose a new name for the new format on a stick with no heritage?

Isn't there already other several classic rock stations in the area? I may be thinking classic hits, but still. I drove thru last month on the way to Savannah and the dial was full of "classic" formated stations. Also, that's hilarious. I never once heard the name Rock be mentioned.

Believe they are calling it the Buzz. It use to be on a translator in Dublin and now on regular signal at 50K watts. Underperforming 50K watts if you ask me. Signal just seems weak. Jones Radio Group, also in Dublin, has four or five stations (many are translators) in Metter, Swainsboro, Dublin and Vidalia. Format is classic hits and while the music is not the same at the same time for those Jones Radio Group stations, it’s essentially the same playlist with pop hits of the 70’s 80’s and some 90’s. By contrast The Buzz is straight classic rock and Dublin lost the Macon classic rocker when the tower was moved to Fort Valley and lowered in power.

Not a bad station but I’ve heard too many radio edited/shortened versions of classic rock songs and that always gets under my skin.

Speaking of Dublin, never understood what sort of format WKKZ was trying to accomplish. They will play anything from 80s pop to modern alternative. I think I nearly ran off the road when they played Phoenix (alternative rock band from France) followed by Culture Club and The Eagles. The sweepers sound like they are from the 70s or 80s. Lots of potential but someone has a tight grip on it.

Speaking of Dublin, never understood what sort of format WKKZ was trying to accomplish. They will play anything from 80s pop to modern alternative. I think I nearly ran off the road when they played Phoenix (alternative rock band from France) followed by Culture Club and The Eagles. The sweepers sound like they are from the 70s or 80s. Lots of potential but someone has a tight grip on it.

let me answer that for you

The website explains it all

Though its old, dc and the family hasnt been on the air in .. a decade?

Believe they are calling it the Buzz. It use to be on a translator in Dublin and now on regular signal at 50K watts. Underperforming 50K watts if you ask me. Signal just seems weak. Jones Radio Group, also in Dublin, has four or five stations (many are translators) in Metter, Swainsboro, Dublin and Vidalia. Format is classic hits and while the music is not the same at the same time for those Jones Radio Group stations, it’s essentially the same playlist with pop hits of the 70’s 80’s and some 90’s. By contrast The Buzz is straight classic rock and Dublin lost the Macon classic rocker when the tower was moved to Fort Valley and lowered in power.

Not a bad station but I’ve heard too many radio edited/shortened versions of classic rock songs and that always gets under my skin.
I have never heard them call it the Buzz on 101.3. All of their imaging is tagged with Q101.3. In fact, it’s the same tags they were using on their CHR imaging .

Speaking of Dublin, never understood what sort of format WKKZ was trying to accomplish. They will play anything from 80s pop to modern alternative. I think I nearly ran off the road when they played Phoenix (alternative rock band from France) followed by Culture Club and The Eagles. The sweepers sound like they are from the 70s or 80s. Lots of potential but someone has a tight grip on i shit
It’s a train wreck, that’s what it is! It’s an absolute disaster. Format. Every time I pass through town. It may be the one radio station in Georgia, on a decent stick, that is actually worse than 104.5 in Dalton. We should start a thread on that one!

It’s a train wreck, that’s what it is! It’s an absolute disaster. Format. Every time I pass through town. It may be the one radio station in Georgia, on a decent stick, that is actually worse than 104.5 in Dalton. We should start a thread on that one!
Sorry. What I meant to say is it sounds like a different format every time I pass through town.

Not trying to get off topic, but speaking of 104.5 Dalton, you should check out their sister station Mix 105.5 in Gatlinburg, TN outside of Knoxville. There could be a separate thread on that disaster as well. They were once a decent station.

UPDATE: WQIL is finally identifying themselves as ROCK 101.3 on air.

The imaging service they are using is much more Active Rock, harder, and younger sounding than their mainstream Classic Rock playlist.

Thought I’d give an update on this station. They’ve made some decent adjustments since the last comments.

The imaging is a bit unique in today’s classic rock landscape. I would describe it as organic, but very effective, especially on a station that is jockless. A very different approach than Macon’s Q106.3 and Highway 96 (WCEH) in Warner Robins.

Meanwhile, the playlist has expanded a little bit, as well. In fact, it’s now positioned right in between the two stations mentioned above. Not sure if that is accidental or not. They do have a good signal into WR. They are not as limited and predictable as Q106.3, but slightly younger and not as deep as Highway 96 (which will occasionally play some absolute turds from the 70s and 80s, but nothing proven after 1989, not even Tom Petty.

Thought I’d give an update on this station. They’ve made some decent adjustments since the last comments.

The imaging is a bit unique in today’s classic rock landscape. I would describe it as organic, but very effective, especially on a station that is jockless. A very different approach than Macon’s Q106.3 and Highway 96 (WCEH) in Warner Robins.

Meanwhile, the playlist has expanded a little bit, as well. In fact, it’s now positioned right in between the two stations mentioned above. Not sure if that is accidental or not. They do have a good signal into WR. They are not as limited and predictable as Q106.3, but slightly younger and not as deep as Highway 96 (which will occasionally play some absolute turds from the 70s and 80s, but nothing proven after 1989, not even Tom Petty.
They use to have a few DJs from Y96 when on other signals. The signal is surprisingly weak off to the east. Can’t get it much further east than Mt Vernon which is poor compared to the maps which has a decent signal all the way into Vidalia.

Was hoping the format would be more mainstream rock with some newer artists. They did flirt with that for a time but it sounds to be pure classic rock. They did play the shortened version Life’s Been Good by Joe Walsh which was disappointing.

Not trying to get off topic, but speaking of 104.5 Dalton, you should check out their sister station Mix 105.5 in Gatlinburg, TN outside of Knoxville. There could be a separate thread on that disaster as well. They were once a decent station.
Sikes, just curious what makes them so bad? Is it the music mix, imaging, jocks?

Back
Top Bottom