• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

100 Years

Long time watcher here (it's great fun and informative). I probably haven't posted in a decade.

I'm wondering what others may feel about a post I noticed recently on the WEBR FB page that implies they're celebrating 100 years. I'm thinking that just because you co-opt legacy call letters you don't get ownership of their history. At best it's misleading. At worst, who knows? If anyone should rightly celebrate 100 years of service it should be WDCZ, though they don't seem to be interested in anything Buffalo.

Sto lat to the 970 frequency!

aL

Long time watcher here (it's great fun and informative). I probably haven't posted in a decade.

I'm wondering what others may feel about a post I noticed recently on the WEBR FB page that implies they're celebrating 100 years. I'm thinking that just because you co-opt legacy call letters you don't get ownership of their history. At best it's misleading. At worst, who knows? If anyone should rightly celebrate 100 years of service it should be WDCZ, though they don't seem to be interested in anything Buffalo.

Sto lat to the 970 frequency!

aL
I would argue WDCZ has no right to WEBR’s legacy. I was the last live voice on WNED-AM 970 (nee, WEBR) on November 30, 2012 after 88 years of continuous service. Throughout that final night, I paid tribute to WEBR‘s legacy from its commercial days through its run as an all-news public radio station. After the transmitter was shut off at midnight, the frequency then went dark for a month — long enough, in my opinion, to sever any rights to the WEBR legacy by the future owner of 970AM. And as you note, WDCZ couldn‘t care less. Please note the old WEBR was not always at 970AM. From its founding in 1924 through 1948, WEBR broadcast from several other frequencies on the AM band — 1440 appears to be the sixth AM frequency WEBR has been associated with.

My question is why you have a problem with Kenmore Broadcasting celebrating WEBR’s history. I’ll concede it could be a bit misleading because the call letters were not a part of the Buffalo radio scene from 1993 through 2020. But that’s a technicality. Hall-of-Fame broadcaster Don Angelo was the spirit behind resurrecting WEBR. He brought back the old jingles, one of its heritage personalities in the person of the late Jack Horohoe and a format of the Great American Soundbook. Don even asked me to join Jack on his first day to symbolically plug in the resurrected WEBR after I had pulled the plug eight years earlier.

I’m not sure there’s an “at worst” scenario. If Kenmore broadcasting wants to celebrate 100 years of WEBR, more power to them. I see no harm. In fact, Kenmore should be praised for preserving a valued piece of Buffalo broadcasting history.

WEBR can do whatever it wants with regard to celebrating "100 years of WEBR," but the station's format as it stands today is nothing remotely near what it was when it re-launched under Don Angelo's direction. It mildly amusing that so much attention on this board is given to this radio station which has a consistent share well below 1 in the Persons 12+ ratings posted here. Maybe the amount of attention has something to do with the 1440 frequency. WJJL received gobs of mentions here years ago when one of the previous owners had to deal with a vexatious FCC filer that claimed to be the wife of the owner, but wasn't. Ahhh, the good old days.

My friends: From Don Angelo.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. However, facts and the truth are all that matters. I will give you the facts and the truth once and for all.

WDCZ - A religious radio station owns the frequency 970 in Buffalo. They have no claim to the call letters WEBR. The frequency 970 is currently being used by several radio stations across the country. The only rule is that their signals do not overlap. Only one radio station in America has the call letters WEBR, they are assigned to station owner Bill Yuhnke.

On April 16th, 1922 Buffalo's first broadcasters, brothers Gene and ED McCarthy built and signed on Buffalo's first radio station WWT. One month later WGR radio signed on the air. Then in September Ike Lounsberry signed on WMAK in Lockport. On Octber 14, 1924 Pioneer broadcaster Herb Howell built and signed on WEBR radio. By that time WWT was gone and WMAK later became WBEN. Three powerhouse legacy AM radio stations WGR, WEBR and WBEN shared this major market audience when Buffalo became an important top 10 radio market in America.

WEBR's home at 23 North Street became an historic broadcast institution.. By the mid 1920's WEBR had a pro staff of 32 people plus a 27 piece orchestra and a cast of many performing actors. With a studio audience nightly they performed regular live dramatic and musical productions for years. Many famous Iconic broadcast careers were born at WEBR radio including such giants as Fran Striker creator of the Lone Ranger, Emileno Rico and Bob Wells who created the weekly "High Teen" live radio show from the Dellwood Ballroom in Buffalo which later became the TV show "American Bandstand" with Dick Clark. The Buffalo Broadcasters Association Hall of Fame contains many names of broadcasters whose resume's included WEBR. Everyone of them should be recognized during a year long celebration. Listeners should be invited to call and tell their personal memories of WEBR. Any staffers still alive should be notified and brought in for some live on-air memory sessions for the listeners. Re-run episodes of the Lone Ranger programs. Find a look alike, mask him up in the Lone Ranger outfit and have him appear with his horse at all Station events. The Local TV news stations would love to interview him.

in 1975 WNED purchased WEBR and could have monopolized on the WEBR tradition but made a massive blunder by giving up the historic call letters in 1993 which reverted back to the FCC. In November 2019 Don Angelo discovered that the WEBR call letters were still held by the FCC and available. Immediately, Bill Yuhnke's FCC attorney filed for the call letters and by Christmas we had a wonderful gift for Buffalo. The legacy WEBR call letters were coming home.

On July 3rd 2020 at 5:00pm WEBR signed back on the air again with the National Anthem and a proud announcement by the new owner of WEBR Bill Yuhnke as we all stood in the new studio's celebrating with great pride for the duty we performed to the history of broadcasting in Buffalo. Then for the first time in many decades WNY once again heard one of Americas most famous, classic radio jingles of all time, the great "Sound of The City" WEBR 60 second theme. The regular broadcast day began the next morning as WEBR celebrated the 4th of July 2020. Broadcaster Mark Scott signed off the station at WNED and was available on July 3rd 2020 to throw the switch to sign WEBR back on the air. Thanks Mark.

As the countdown begins this New Years day 2024 we should all look forward to an historic year of paying tribute to everything WEBR stood for since its birth. It's three owners in 100 years, Herb Howell, the Courier Express newspaper and Bill Yuhnke should be credited with keeping a broadcast tradition alive. Everyone involved with the new WEBR should stand tall knowing they are contributing to and being a part of an important and historic broadcast event.
Congratulations and Good Luck to you all,
Don Angelo

Back
Top Bottom