• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

1/2 of 107.5 - Sutter Creek on the air

As of yesterday, the PM share-time part of 107.5 in Sutter Creek, KJCN, is on the air. Playing a mix of progressive music, riot grrrl music, 70's oldies, and electronica off of a Windows PC. Only voice is the TOH ID. Signal is listenable in Pine Grove, but very poor as one goes along Ridge Rd. to Sutter Creek.

Nothing I have heard from KCYF, the morning time-share partner now owned by KQBM. However, I saw a 20' tower go up along with a single bay antenna near their proposed tx site on Ridge Road near New York Ranch Rd.

As of yesterday, the PM share-time part of 107.5 in Sutter Creek, KJCN, is on the air. Playing a mix of progressive music, riot grrrl music, 70's oldies, and electronica off of a Windows PC. Only voice is the TOH ID. Signal is listenable in Pine Grove, but very poor as one goes along Ridge Rd. to Sutter Creek.

Nothing I have heard from KCYF, the morning time-share partner now owned by KQBM. However, I saw a 20' tower go up along with a single bay antenna near their proposed tx site on Ridge Road near New York Ranch Rd.

They should both be at the same site. KQBM needs to get rid of their LPFM first.

They should both be at the same site. KQBM needs to get rid of their LPFM first.

well, if KCYF and KJCN should be at the same site, the licensed co-ordinates sure are different. KCYF is east of Sutter Creek, KJCN is east of Jackson

well, if KCYF and KJCN should be at the same site, the licensed co-ordinates sure are different. KCYF is east of Sutter Creek, KJCN is east of Jackson

Yes their sites currently are different but listeners will be confused by a station only being on the air for 50% of the time.

I do believe KQBM-LP received a temporary waiver to run the station until a new operator has been found (I'll set up an organization and "buy" it from them...only half-kidding...)

AFAIK, KCYF's current physical plant is ready to go. They'll have to get it on soon -- they have about 36 hours to legally fire it up! Regardless, both sites seem to be very temporary. Both do not offer anywhere near full class A coverage. KCYF's operation is bare-bones at best.

This is a unique situation. I am not aware of any full-powered share-time FM stations that currently operate. I know the one non-comm share time I knew of in Phoenix is now 100% run by Family Radio. Since they're at different sites, I can imagine there will be issues with both transmitters operating when someone doesn't do their job and shut it off at 12, etc.

What will be the major issue is only having 12 hours of (I assume) KQBM simulcasting during the day, then whatever KJCN's format will be. Hopefully whatever it is will be some form of local community radio. It'll confuse some simple folks I'm sure having to check two websites, sending donations to the wrong station, etc.

I did say Should be at the same site. They would need to file a modification. They also need to file a consummation for the sale of KCYF first as well as they need to transfer the license of KQBM-LP.

I did say Should be at the same site. They would need to file a modification. They also need to file a consummation for the sale of KCYF first as well as they need to transfer the license of KQBM-LP.

KCYF-FM 184543 BAPED-20190807AAU SUTTER CREEK, CA
This grant is subject to the condition that Blue Mountain Players divest all interest in Low Power FM Station KQBM-LP, West Point, California (Fac Id 193635) prior to or concurrent with the transaction proposed herein.
Pursuant to 47 CFR Section 73.7005(a) the permittee/licensee shall be subject to a holding period. From the grant of the construction permit and continuing until the facility has achieved four years of on-air operations,
the permittee/licensee proposing to assign or transfer the construction permit/license to another party will be required to demonstrate the following two factors: that the proposed buyer would
qualify for at least the same number of points as the assignor or transferor originally received; and that consideration received and/or promised does not exceed the assignor's or transferor's legitimate and prudent expenses as defined therein.

The construction permit for KCYF-FM expires on November 21, 2019. Commission rules which became effective on February 16, 1999, have a bearing on this construction permit. See Streamlining of Mass Media Applications, Report and Order, MM Docket No. 98-43, 13 FCC Rcd 23056 (1999). Pursuant to these rules, consummation of the assignment consented to herein will not extend the expiration date of the permit. The construction permit will be subject to automatic forfeiture unless construction is complete and an application for license to cover is filed prior to expiration. Under authority of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended, the consent of the Federal Communications Commission is hereby granted to the transaction indicated above.
The Commission's consent to the above is based on the representations made by the applicants that the statements contained in, or made in connection with, the application are true and that the undertakings of the parties upon which this
transaction is authorized will be carried out in good faith. The actual consummation of voluntary transactions shall be completed within 90 days from the date hereof, and notice in letter form thereof shall promptly be furnished to the Commission by the seller or buyer showing the date the acts necessary to effect the transaction were completed. Upon furnishing the Commission with such written notice, this transaction will be considered completed for all purposes related to the above described station(s).

FCC Form 323, Ownership Report, must be filed within 30 days after consummation, by the licensee/permittee or assignee.

ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR ASSIGNMENTS ONLY:
Upon consummation the assignor must deliver the permit/license, including any modifications thereof to the assignee. It is hereby directed that, upon consummation, a copy of this consent be posted with the station authorization(s) as required by the Commission's Rules and Regulations. The assignee is not authorized to construct nor operate said station(s) unless and until notification of consummation in letter form has been forwarded to the Commission.

Seems to me that they must sell the LP to someone under fairly restrictive conditions, then (and only then) can they fire up the full-power, but the problem is the construction permit has expired!

Yikes...

In other news, KJCN is still on-air 12pm-12am. Until last week, heard a very under-modulated mix of 80's dance and punk. Legal ID every hour. Carrier cut usually just before midnight with no legal ID. Now, just dead air. Haven't heard if the legal ID is still being broadcast hourly.

KJCN Signal is abysmal at best. Gone by the Calaveras county line to the south and Drytown to the north. There are parts of Martell and Sutter Creek where KJCN can't even be heard over KZSZ in Colusa.

So does KJCN get to operate like KCBP in Westley and run 24/7 now that KCYF has not fufilled their CP?

FWIW, KCYF filed a License to Cover on 11/19.

I believe KCBP waited until the other half of that time share turned in their license, before they went 24/7.

FWIW, KCYF filed a License to Cover on 11/19.

I believe KCBP waited until the other half of that time share turned in their license, before they went 24/7.

Ah...I didn't see that when I checked FCC license application search. From what I saw, they were ready to rock on that day...that was the day their single-bay antenna went up on the pole off Ridge Rd.

I assume that means KCYF cannot sign on at 107.5 until 103.7 gets sold (or, I'd also reckon, goes dark).

Ah...I didn't see that when I checked FCC license application search. From what I saw, they were ready to rock on that day...that was the day their single-bay antenna went up on the pole off Ridge Rd.

I assume that means KCYF cannot sign on at 107.5 until 103.7 gets sold (or, I'd also reckon, goes dark).

KJCN-FM cannot go 24/7 unless KCYF-FM either returns it's CP and the FCC cancels it and then they have to file a request to go 24/7. KCYF-FM did file a license to cover on 11/19/2019 and KJCN-FM filed theirs on 11/2-/2019.

KCYF-FM just filed
pplication Search Details
File Number: -
Call Sign: KCYF-FM
Facility Id: 184543
FRN: 0019529676
Applicant Name: FARMS OF AMADOR
Frequency:
Channel:
Community of License: ,
Application Type: CONSUMMATION

(sigh) Blue Mountain/KCYF filed an IO against KJCN, for lack of a transmitting facility at their specified coordinates... though it also says there is a "weak carrier with no modulation" in that immediate area.

(sigh) Blue Mountain/KCYF filed an IO against KJCN, for lack of a transmitting facility at their specified coordinates... though it also says there is a "weak carrier with no modulation" in that immediate area.

I haven't hunted down the transmitter site for KJCN, but they are indeed on the air. If I were to guess, they are not transmitting from their licensed site next to Butte Mountain. That would give them a good signal in Jackson, which they absolutely do not have.

If I were a betting man, I'd say they are up in the foothills somewhere east of Jackson. The only place they have any decent signal is out by the entrance to Jackson Rancheria

KCYF is somewhat right, they have a weak signal with no programming currently. If they paid attention when they first signed on, they'd notice that they were broadcasting with a legal ID and music for the first week, now just dead air.

I think this may get semi-interesting. Dualing non-profits fighting over a the other half of a share-time equals a hot mess. I have yet to know of anything related to the owners of KJCN (Sonora Sierra Heritage Foundation). I'm very curious what their plans are with their 12 hours/day. Sale?

Lastly, the whole last few months of 107.5 filings have seemed to be filed by (at best) non-engineering folks...people who may not have the best understanding of how this whole thing works.

I haven't hunted down the transmitter site for KJCN, but they are indeed on the air. If I were to guess, they are not transmitting from their licensed site next to Butte Mountain. That would give them a good signal in Jackson, which they absolutely do not have.

If I were a betting man, I'd say they are up in the foothills somewhere east of Jackson. The only place they have any decent signal is out by the entrance to Jackson Rancheria

KCYF is somewhat right, they have a weak signal with no programming currently. If they paid attention when they first signed on, they'd notice that they were broadcasting with a legal ID and music for the first week, now just dead air.

I think this may get semi-interesting. Dualing non-profits fighting over a the other half of a share-time equals a hot mess. I have yet to know of anything related to the owners of KJCN (Sonora Sierra Heritage Foundation). I'm very curious what their plans are with their 12 hours/day. Sale?

Lastly, the whole last few months of 107.5 filings have seemed to be filed by (at best) non-engineering folks...people who may not have the best understanding of how this whole thing works.

This is the person behind KJCN:
https://www.translatorscafe.com/cafe/member181069.htm

Oh... Different kind of translator than what I was thinking of...

Dave B.

That would explain the French pop/rock I heard yesterday. And the weird 70's J-pop stuff...

In additional news: The music is back on KJCN, now with greater "modulation" than before. Actually a nice sounding station now that there's processing gear installed. And the person behind it must have been exhausted from all that work: As I left for work at 8:30 this morning I noticed someone forgot to turn the transmitter off at midnight! Still churning out dead air until a little before 9.

So, I live very close to Mt. Zion...decided to go for a drive and check the view.

KJCN is likely on Zion. About 500 feet on Mt Zion Rd is about the only place that receives KJCN with full quieting. Makes me question what the heck they are running out of that dinky antenna up there, or if the trees/cabin they're near reflect a lot of the signal. KVGC's translator is 1/3 the power and has 3x the signal from roughly the same area...

Anyway, I have my own problems with KQBM before they started with this stuff. I'd much rather see KVMR out here, personally. Blue Mountain Players do seem to be a bit of an instigator (dare I say bully?) in this issue...Brown Broadcast Systems is a reputable engineering firm, the fact they'd take this on is proof fools and their money are soon parted.

I wonder what it will mean for their portion of the share-time (which is fully constructed but has yet to sign on). I do believe this would be, if KCYF signs on, the first full-powered FM share-time in decades. Clearly, it's not working well out of the gate.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom