• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

¡Hola! ¡Es Oficial! La Nueva 925!

Re: Format

>
> I agree with the Spanish rock programming idea. Stations
> like KSSE 107.1 "Super Estrella" in Los Angeles and XHMORE
> 98.9 "mas rock en español" broadcasting from south of the
> border to San Diego play a lot of music that sounds like
> '80s "hair bands", but it's all original spanish language
> stuff.

XHMOR has been hip hop iwth a bit of reggaetón for more than a 18 months. With rock, they never broke a 1 share. They are now over a 3 and in the top 10 in SD.

Superestrella plays no rock, and has not for years. The closest they come is edgy pop like some La Ley, mana and Shakira type stuff. Mostly, it plays ballads and pop ballads, being closer to Miami's Amor than a rock format.

>It would be refreshing to hear some Spanish music
> thrown into the mix that could appeal to folks who wouldn't
> normally appreciate the traditional latino sounds.

Most Latinos do not appreciate rock en español. It is the format myth of the last decade.

> >
> > I agree with the Spanish rock programming idea. Stations
> > like KSSE 107.1 "Super Estrella" in Los Angeles and XHMORE
>
> > 98.9 "mas rock en español" broadcasting from south of the
> > border to San Diego play a lot of music that sounds like
> > '80s "hair bands", but it's all original spanish language
> > stuff.
>
> XHMOR has been hip hop iwth a bit of reggaetón for more than
> a 18 months. With rock, they never broke a 1 share. They are
> now over a 3 and in the top 10 in SD.
>
> Superestrella plays no rock, and has not for years. The
> closest they come is edgy pop like some La Ley, mana and
> Shakira type stuff. Mostly, it plays ballads and pop
> ballads, being closer to Miami's Amor than a rock format.
>
> >It would be refreshing to hear some Spanish music
> > thrown into the mix that could appeal to folks who
> wouldn't
> > normally appreciate the traditional latino sounds.
>
> Most Latinos do not appreciate rock en español. It is the
> format myth of the last decade.
>

Oh well, I guess there have been a few changes since my last trip to California. (funny, it doesn't seem like that long ago) When I lived in LA, Superestrella had a lot of rock in their mix. I used to listen to XHMOR quite a bit when I lived id San Diego, and I really liked it,... But then again, I'm just a gringo who found it to be a nice alternative to the stuff I could find everywhere else.

I'm not their target demo for sure, but most of my friends out there were Mexican and they liked it and introduced me to it. I guess My amigos and I were responsible for holding up almost a 1 share all by ourselves... Not bad! (I wish I knew which of them had the Arbitron diaries.)

All kidding aside, I'm curious how Arbitron measures both sides of a cross-border signal. Airtime is sold to clients who transact business in both dollars and pesos. Do they measure listeners in Mexico? If not, that would skew the results to the point of being useless. Also, do they print the diaries in border towns in both English and Spanish? I know Spanish speakers who would regard anything that came in the mail written in English as junk mail. If an Arbitron diary was to come in the mail, they would probably keep the crisp clean new one dollar bills, and trash the stuff they didn't understand. The same holds true for anglophiles who receive printed materials en español.

Thanks for the update. I'm going to miss mas rock en español on my next trip.

>
> All kidding aside, I'm curious how Arbitron measures both
> sides of a cross-border signal.

San Diego and Tijuana are separate makrkets. INRA measures Tijuan with in-home coincidental methodology. Arbitron measures San Diego with diaries. Any Hispanic gets a bilingual diary. Diaries are placed by phone to build a proportional sample, then sent by mail. Anyone answering in Spanish or answering yes to the Hispanic quesiton gets the bilingual diary.

> Airtime is sold to clients
> who transact business in both dollars and pesos. Do they
> measure listeners in Mexico? If not, that would skew the
> results to the point of being useless. Also, do they print
> the diaries in border towns in both English and Spanish?

Hispanics anywhere in the US get bilingual diaries.

> I
> know Spanish speakers who would regard anything that came in
> the mail written in English as junk mail. If an Arbitron
> diary was to come in the mail, they would probably keep the
> crisp clean new one dollar bills, and trash the stuff they
> didn't understand. The same holds true for anglophiles who
> receive printed materials en español.

Which is why they recruit by phone, sending diaries only to the ones who meet sample quotas.
>
> Thanks for the update. I'm going to miss mas rock en español
> on my next trip.

XHMOR got most of its numbers from the morning sow, whihc is now on KLQV. Outside of 6-10, it had less than a 0.5 share with rock. Just not a big market. Only successful Spanish rock staiton I know of is in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom