• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Storm coverage - Harvey

stan

Star Participant
It will be interesting to see how well the diminished radio news staffs cover the upcoming probable mutliday event with Harvey. My prediction is that we'll hear mostly syndicated programs interrupted by NWS flood warnings and occasional news at the top of the hour. Now that's serving your community!

KVST is doing a very good job covering the storm... but I believe they're one of the few stations in the area with their own news operation, regardless of how grating the presentation is.

Well the the Texas TV stations on Newson app such as WFAA, KLTV and KHOU are so far going wall to wall with Hurricane coverage now that Corpus Christi is hit according to some outlets. in the Local Texas TV news.

http://watchnewson.com

From what I can see, the staffs of the Houston radio stations will be living there for the next few days. From Country Aircheck: Cumulus KAYD/Beaumont & KYKZ/Lake Charles, LA PD Tim Murphy and staffers plan to move into the stations Sunday. The biggest concern there is flooding, especially if the storm hovers over the area for an extended period. CBS Radio KILT/Houston PD Bruce Logan says, "We expect to start feeling the most severe impact from Harvey Saturday night into Sunday afternoon. The Morning Bull with George, Mo & Cowboy Dave will do a special Sunday afternoon show and then stay at a nearby hotel so they can be sure to be here Monday morning." At Cox KKBQ & KTHT, Dir./Operations Johnny Chiang and his team are preparing for landfall and spending the weekend at the station.

No DJ can broadcast from home via Internet stream? That's what I would be doing instead of literally living at the station if I worked in radio. Even I've got enough knowledge of how that stuff works to do a live show.

BTW Corpus Christi seems to have been affected already, none of the station streams from there are active except KSIX, at least the ones I've tried.

KTRK Houston and Ted Oberg is filing updates of Hurricane Harvey not only for KTRK-TV but for other ABC O&O's like KABC7 Los Angeles and probably for ABC News for national segments.

Corpus Christi is one of the cities in Texas so far that's been hit by the Hurricane. But other parts of Texas on various feeds Newson is showing is still under effect. KTRK mentioned at Galveston, TX was on evacuation orders too besides Corpus Christi for tonight's storm.

For a while DIRECTV had a second feed of The Weather Channel on Channel 361-2. (My family is not a subscriber of the Weather Channel. We just get Weather Nation which is 361). Then sometime overnight it switched to KIII from Corpus Christi. Then throughout today it alternated KIII and stations from San Antonio. As of 6:30PM 361-2 just has a DIRECTV slide up and music.

Devastating flooding just beginning in Houston-Galveston. Prayers for everyone. Over 2,500 rescues and 2 dead but that death toll could go way up. Flash flood emergency + many tornado warnings. Unbelievable pictures on TWC and on social media.

KHOU had to be completely evacuated to the Federal Reserve building, their feed is down and is relaying WFAA/8 Dallas TX. I can't get KTRK's stream to work either. I suppose FMs and AMs throughout Houston are going off the air one by one as floodwaters reach transmitters.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom