• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WJIB may debut // 101.3 Fri

Translators: they seem to be quite the headache

many of Boston's most unique and interesting FMs have gone off air due to the arrival of translators. in particular the Montserration Soca is no longer pumping on 96.5, and the african music is missing from 102.1. the Trinidadian Soca may soon be gone from 101.3 as well, and the US Virgin Islands style morning show on 102.9 has been replaced with a preacher from Codman Square. the Jazz on 90.5 from Worcester is now heavily QRMed by some jesus belter out of Plymouth or so. the Boston dial seemed to peak somewhere right around before Datz Hitz and Touch FM were taken off air (thus why i havent posted in years and wont be back..) . too bad Elevator Music is about to wipe out soca :(

many of Boston's most unique and interesting and illegal FMs have gone off air due to the arrival of translators. in particular the illegal Montserration Soca is no longer pumping on 96.5, and the illegal african music is missing from 102.1. the illegal Trinidadian Soca may soon be gone from 101.3 as well, and the illegal US Virgin Islands style morning show on 102.9 has been replaced with a preacher from Codman Square. Too bad Elevator Music (that many people enjoy, legally) is about to wipe out illegal soca :(

Fixed it for you.

Not necessarily elevator music..some oldies and soft rock.I would not compare it to the 96.9 WJIB.They actually do have younger listeners who enjoy softer sounds.Bittner's economic model is unconventional--fundraising though still technically a commercial station so any attempt to stream would cost big bucks, and he refuses to run ads.
College stations and LPFMs in the area can play Carribean,rap, religious shows etc.In terms of the latter, Lynn has a Spanish language Christian LPFM on 89.3 and WMWM has same thing on Sat. mornings. Legal stations., not pirates.

At least he can afford these and other stations and he's able to raise money for them (like building out the FM transmitter) from more than a few people of all ages.
Also, unlike WMEX he's able to stay on the air and unlike Big City he broadcasts legally.

Bob Bittner said on facebook that he hopes to get his 101.3 translator for WJIB 740 on by 1 pm Friday, to celebrate 25 yrs of JIB at 740.He has been testing it..heard dead carrier at 101.3 the other night on 114 in Peabody.
>>Hope so! So many moving parts on this FM project. Seems like a mess, but am working on it. Hopefully, (if nothing more goes wrong) we'll have a celebration on air after 1 PM on Friday with the FM station on the air.

I've had more issues with translators than putting on Full power FM's. Glad to know it just isn't me.

When we lived in Falmouth, Maine, I would often listen to Bittner's 730 WJTO in Bath. I was in my late 40's at the time, and loved the mix of music. I'd still listen if he streamed (but I fully understand why he doesn't)

Nobody else plays these songs. Now that he's got FM listeners, I wouldn't doubt that some of them are younger. Not many... but some.

Today using an Insignia HD portable "tabletop" I found I could get the FM translator at 101.3 in Beverly half decently though after awhile another station cut in, and a legal one--the translator of WMRC Milford.
Not to condone piracy but Big City would be wise to find some other spot on the dial as the new
WJIB // affects their signal. But...where? (Not that they should be on illegally at all...)

Last edited:
Bittner mobilizing his listeners to complain about pirate (and no doubt he's doing same).He said in a facebook post the woman who hosts the morning show (who was issued the NoUO, notice of unauthorized operation) said it would be her last show and "fled the station". Still running despite a long history of pirates transmitting from that building..associated with a church? Lord have mercy.
He says 70 per cent of his coverage area is affected by the pirate; pirates don't pay music licensing fees or participate in the EAS system and wiring etc can be illegal and affect public safety broadcasting.

It's on Bittner's FB
https://www.facebook.com/bob.bittner.730
Repro part of it here,

WJIB’S NEW FM STATION ON 101.3 ..and some words about ILLEGAL “PIRATE” STATIONS, AND HOW YOU CAN HELP.

WJIB, AM-740 in Cambridge has legally applied for and received a Federal Communications Commission (FCC) grant to broadcast the same AM signal on FM radio at 101.3. And it began on August 4, 2017 from atop WJIB’s AM radio tower on Concord Avenue, Cambridge. However, an estimated 70% of people in WJIB’s FM coverage area will not be able to hear WJIB’s FM station due to the fact that there is a station calling itself “Big City Radio”, operating very illegally on the same 101.3 frequency from a church-owned building on Blue Hill Avenue in Dorchester, across from Franklin Park, a building from which several pirate stations have transmitted from. More on pirates below, but now let’s l

Last edited:
Bittner mobilizing his listeners to complain about pirate (and no doubt he's doing same).He said in a facebook post the woman who hosts the morning show (who was issued the NoUO, notice of unauthorized operation) said it would be her last show and "fled the station". Still running despite a long history of pirates transmitting from that building..associated with a church? Lord have mercy.

Thing out loud.....I think if the radio station is emanating from a "church building" may add a layer of complication to getting them off the air.

I'm sure Fed marshals are wary of being seen as "raiding" a "church building".

Last edited:
Im curious about that Milford translater. That thing booms in all over including on I-93 driving from woburn toward Lawrence. Any chance theyre over power?

Church and church owned are 2 different things.
I would think threatening to revoke tax exempt status on all levels would get this mess cleaned up quickly.

Last edited:
Church and church owned are 2 different things.
I would think threatening to revoke tax exempt status on all levels would get this mess cleaned up quickly.

You are assuming the pirate is being run as a legitimate business. Most pirates don't have a license, don't have city permits, don't pay taxes and ignore other rules and regulations of our society.

Not really. Raiding a building with a sign in front that says "New Fellowship Baptist Church" doesn't make for good PR.

It's an illegal station. It should be an embarrassment for the church, particularly if they can be seen as aiding in the illegal activities.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom