• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Oldies K-Surf Debuts on KKGO-FM 105.1 HD2

They had a monster hit all across Latin America in "Ahora te puedes marchar" which was a cover of Dusty Springfield's "I Only Want to be with You". They had a number of other hits in that region as well and recorded them for the Spanish mega-label, Hispavox.

I heard the French version of that song: "A Présent Tu Peux T'en Aller" (same meaning: "Get out of here now!")

LA Oldies will identify with the California lifestyle which will be a major theme of the radio station.

That's the stated philosophy, but the first three songs I've heard have been "Little Town Flirt" (Del Shannon, from Michigan, who moved to NYC to become a recording artist), "These Eyes" (Guess Who, from Manitoba), and "Running Scared" (Roy Orbison, from Memphis via Texas). I don't feel that "California lifestyle" vibe yet. Maybe they're going to play only American artists and ignore the British Invasion.

I don't know where these artists are from or moved to but this is what I grew up with listening to my transistor radio in So. Calif. in the 50's and 60's. And I have heard the Beatles so looks like they play everything and everybody that was around at that time.
Nice that there are no advertisers yet but that probably won't last long; they have to make some money to stay on the air.
Bob

LA Oldies will identify with the California lifestyle which will be a major theme of the radio station.

That's the stated philosophy, but the first three songs I've heard have been "Little Town Flirt" (Del Shannon, from Michigan, who moved to NYC to become a recording artist), "These Eyes" (Guess Who, from Manitoba), and "Running Scared" (Roy Orbison, from Memphis via Texas). I don't feel that "California lifestyle" vibe yet. Maybe they're going to play only American artists and ignore the British Invasion.

I don't know where these artists are from or moved to but this is what I grew up with listening to my transistor radio in So. Calif. in the 50's and 60's. And I have heard the Beatles so looks like they play everything and everybody that was around at that time.
Nice that there are no advertisers yet but that probably won't last long; they have to make some money to stay on the air.
Bob

I have already heard at least one spot in limited listening; perhaps there are more where that came from. Local ad of course.

They don't "have" to make money. Saul can use any and all Tax deductions available. By the way when I think of Burton Cummings everyone knows he has lived in Sherman Oaks for many years. Of course Del Shannon also lived the California Lifestyle in the local area but had enough in 1990. Carl Goldman owner of KBET bought Del's home after it was cleaned~

They don't "have" to make money. Saul can use any and all Tax deductions available. By the way when I think of Burton Cummings everyone knows he has lived in Sherman Oaks for many years. Of course Del Shannon also lived the California Lifestyle in the local area but had enough in 1990. Carl Goldman owner of KBET bought Del's home after it was cleaned~

At Don Barrett's LARadio.com today, Saul is talking about the future of oldies on K-SURF and his operation in general. A couple of key quotes:

“I know you have heard this song before, but Oldies is here to stay. I am not in the Oldies format for money. This is the end of the road for formats on 1260. It just seems the perfect fit for AM.”

“For the balance of my career, I am very happy with the set-up and plan to keep it that way. I have put away enough for my golden years so that I do not need to have Oldies make a lot of money to keep it going. The difficult place is KKJZ, which does not get the support it should as a public station, but the entire Levine family feels passionate about Jazz and we intend to keep funding it to keep it going.”

There you have it. I guess since money is no object, then deep-list oldies is a natural fit on AM radio for the long-term. I have to admit, as much as I am glad this music has found the place on the dial that it still very much richly deserves, I am going to miss the spinning wheel of formats that has been employed at 1260 all of these years.

They don't "have" to make money. Saul can use any and all Tax deductions available.

All business expenses are "tax deductions" (a misnomer, for sure!) as businesses only pay taxes on what is left over after all expenses. The higher the expenses, the lower the taxes... but the higher the expenses, the less profit for the owners, too.

I'd personally rather pay $350,000 in taxes on $1,000,000 in profits than $50,000 in taxes on $150,000 in profits. In the first case, I have $650,000 for myself, and in the second, I save $300,000 in taxes but only have $100,000 for myself!

All business expenses are "tax deductions" (a misnomer, for sure!) as businesses only pay taxes on what is left over after all expenses.

Saul mentioned KKJZ, which is the former KLON, and it's a non-commercial radio station. Mt. Wilson formed a side company to run that station, and provide sponsorship money under the non-commercial rules. It's a very worthy endeavor, as KKGO was at one time a commercial jazz station in LA with a very proud heritage. Not sure exactly how Saul does this, but I'm sure, based on what he says, that he ends up donating a lot of his own money to keep that station afloat. Its one of the few all-jazz stations left in the country. A lot of people think of oldies as an endangered format, but jazz is really in far worse share. Saul Levine and his family are to be commended for keeping it alive.

Maybe Saul is using older references to the music scene in Southern California, like old surveys and charts to get his playlists going. Possibly those songs you mentioned did well in So. Cal on other radio stations back then. 140 songs hit #1 on Boss Radio from July 1965-1969, so maybe he's referencing those surveys and other sources as well, including the Fab 40 early that decade. Those were the top songs in L.A. Either way, it's a great radio station and a refreshing change for Los Angeles. It's about time.

Last edited:
Ive noticed they are not playing a lot of Doo Wop which happens to be my favorite music of the 50's and 60's. Hope they add more of it. Really like the station.

Ive noticed they are not playing a lot of Doo Wop which happens to be my favorite music of the 50's and 60's. Hope they add more of it. Really like the station.

Wouldn't that be more likely to come from a station in the northeast?

One might ask how popular Doo Wop was 2500 miles from NY and Philly.

One might ask how popular Doo Wop was 2500 miles from NY and Philly.

Did the biggest of the doo-wop hits do well out west? The Five Satins' "In the Still of the Night," for example -- Billboard No. 24 nationally (and No. 3 on BB's "race records" chart). Were all the record sales in the Northeast or did LA radio play it as well? How about "Duke of Earl" in 1962 -- strictly a NY/Philly hit?

Did the biggest of the doo-wop hits do well out west? The Five Satins' "In the Still of the Night," for example -- Billboard No. 24 nationally (and No. 3 on BB's "race records" chart). Were all the record sales in the Northeast or did LA radio play it as well? How about "Duke of Earl" in 1962 -- strictly a NY/Philly hit?

Nope. "Duke of Earl" was number one at KFWB and KRLA in February of 1962.

Earlier doo-wop and its popularity in L.A. would be hard to nail down, though. L.A. didn't have a 24-hour Top 40 station until January of 1958 when KFWB flipped. Until then, it was daytimers like KFVD/KPOP (1020) and KOWL/KDAY (1580).

The oldest charts I can find from L.A. are 1957, from KDAY....past the peak of doo-wop, though the Rays' "Silhouettes" is number one on the chart from November 8, 1957.

But seriously...if we're trying to figure out if a record was popular in Los Angeles in 1954, once you did that you'd have to ask how many people listening to a daytimer in Los Angeles 63 years ago are still alive and living in Los Angeles today. If that person was 16 then, they're 79 now. What's the upside?

Last edited:
But seriously...if we're trying to figure out if a record was popular in Los Angeles in 1954, once you did that you'd have to ask how many people listening to a daytimer in Los Angeles 63 years ago are still alive and living in Los Angeles today. If that person was 16 then, they're 79 now. What's the upside?

Well let's see. Beethoven's fifth symphony was first played in 1808. If a person was 16 then, they would be 225 years old today. What would be the upside of playing Beethoven's fifth?

Oh but classical music is different you might say? Why? Beethoven's fifth symphony is excellent music, most of the doo-wop songs I know are excellent music. Both deserve to be heard. The obvious "upside" is that great music is timeless and can be passed down from generation to generation. There is not a lot more irrelevant than what the music scene was when someone was a teenager. As another example, how many teenagers are there today who are discovering their parents' Beatles collections and becoming Beatles fans themselves, even though the fact remains that if you were sixteen years old in 1964 you would be *gasp* 69 years old today? I bet the answer is A LOT.

Oh, by the way, when I was a teenager both "Sussudio" and "We Built This City" were number one songs. I don't need to hear either one ever again. A lot of people in my generation are with me on this.

Last edited:
Oh but classical music is different you might say? Why? Beethoven's fifth symphony is excellent music, most of the doo-wop songs I know are excellent music. Both deserve to be heard.

I ask you one question: What's the status of commercial classical radio in major markets today?

Beethoven's music is the foundation of a non-commercial network, supported by listener donations. If fans of Beethoven can support their favorite music with their own personal money, why can't fans of doo wop? You want someone else (namely an advertiser) to pay for your personal music taste. Advertisers pay for commercial radio, and they get to pick what those stations play.

Excellent point. The reason Classical music is self-funded by listeners is the passion they have for the music. How strong is that passion for Do Wop and other styles no longer heard on radio? Or maybe bluegrass or Big Band? I suspect the difference is Classical is a daily lifestyle listening choice but other music types are occasional versus mostly exclusive listening choices. I like Bluegrass but I doubt I'd listen to it almost exclusively if offered on the radio, weekly, perhaps..

I ask you one question: What's the status of commercial classical radio in major markets today?

Beethoven's music is the foundation of a non-commercial network, supported by listener donations. If fans of Beethoven can support their favorite music with their own personal money, why can't fans of doo wop? You want someone else (namely an advertiser) to pay for your personal music taste. Advertisers pay for commercial radio, and they get to pick what those stations play.

Not only will I pay to hear both classical and doo-wop (along with jazz, classic rock and classic country, Great American Songbook, AAA, Motown and other R&B, blues and even bluegrass, not to mention those classic 70s AM radio hits that most everyone else hates but I love), but I do. I have multiple subscriptions to SiriusXM and my Direct TV subscription comes with dedicated channels that play all of that and more. I subscribe to some internet stuff as well although I don't personally use those as much as others and I have donated to music-only public radio such as Sky's KCSN from time to time as well.

If all I had to listen to was what advertisers pay to advertise on, my world would be a much lesser place indeed.

I'm 68,a teen in the 60's and I have playlists of music on Spotify from the 20s and 30s through the Big Band era through the 50s through the 70s along with New Age and Jazz,Broadway,Classic Country and more. I was a fan of Sinatra,Como,Dean Martin and all the Standards when I was a kid. I have been an on air personality at current based station s from 1972 to 2009 and I've heard and played it all.After the mid 80s my love for current music waned and there are very few songs I ever
want to hear again. Never could get into rap,hip hop,grundge,hard rock and later alternative. To my ears 1990 onwards with some exceptions is a big blur. If all I had to rely on was Commercial radio for my music,I probably wouldn't listen. Very happy there is XM and the vast numbers of Internet stations,some great,some awful and a lot in between that satisfy my musical needs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom