• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

98.9 NASH ICON becomes Warm 98.9 and all-Christmas

Looks like the new brass at Cumulus has finally killed NASH Icon in ATL, at least for now. Not sure when the flip happened, but it's now Warm 98.9, and playing all-Christmas. And they seem to have sold more spots than NASH Icon did.

The http://www.989nashicon.com/ site is dead. I Googled "Warm 98.9" and got the site for Cumulus's WRRM Warm 98.5 in Cincy.

Of course, now the big question is: What does Cumulus do after the holidays?

Is soft AC in the offing, maybe to pick off some of The Fish's listenership? "Warm" is, of course, the legacy branding of Susquehanna's AC stations (as in WRRM above). Ask the folks at Cox about Warm 100/99.7. http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/FSupp/620/143/1456444/
Oh, and this tidbit: " It is theoretically possible, although unlikely, that other stations with frequencies of 98.7, 98.9, 99.3, or 99.5 could be licensed to broadcast into the Atlanta area."

Last edited:
I keep reading about "the new brass at Cumulus," but really all that's happened are the Dickeys are gone, and there's a new CEO. AFAIK, everyone else is the same.

I keep up with Radio Insight with all the format changes nationwide and Cumulus has been busy. Some decisions I'm not sure are the best but then again, change to a bad station is better than no change at all. I suspect we are about to see some huge changes with Cumulus in Atlanta much like we did with Clear Channel back in 2010 (or was it 2011).

Looks like the new brass at Cumulus has finally killed NASH Icon in ATL, at least for now. Not sure when the flip happened, but it's now Warm 98.9, and playing all-Christmas. And they seem to have sold more spots than NASH Icon did.

The http://www.989nashicon.com/ site is dead. I Googled "Warm 98.9" and got the site for Cumulus's WRRM Warm 98.5 in Cincy.

Of course, now the big question is: What does Cumulus do after the holidays?

Is soft AC in the offing, maybe to pick off some of The Fish's listenership? "Warm" is, of course, the legacy branding of Susquehanna's AC stations (as in WRRM above). Ask the folks at Cox about Warm 100/99.7. http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/FSupp/620/143/1456444/
Oh, and this tidbit: " It is theoretically possible, although unlikely, that other stations with frequencies of 98.7, 98.9, 99.3, or 99.5 could be licensed to broadcast into the Atlanta area."

Radioinsight.com has not written the latest of the flip. Interesting that they would put it on 98.9 instead of 97.9 or even 100.5! Why 98.9? Seems like to me the signal part of the deal wasn't a huge concern.

Oh, they are oh so close to B98.5 as well.

Last edited:
I think Jabba makes a good point about possibly canning 98.9 altogether. Horrible signal and causes interference with the Carrollton station. I think 98.9 is Christmas until it changes to AC and then perhaps being relocated to a different signal (106.7 or 100.5). 97.9's format won't go anywhere because it's doing pretty good. It may, if anything, get relocated to a bigger stick (106.7 or 100.5). I still believe Cumulus will bring alternative to Atlanta to give Radio 105.7 a run for it's money (which IMHO will not be hard to do).

I will never understand, in a market the size of Atlanta, why anyone would be focused on a 250w translator. I mean, I remember when 100.5 was moving into town from Anniston AL and everyone was saying that the power was too low to make a difference in the market.

I think Jabba makes a good point about possibly canning 98.9 altogether. Horrible signal and causes interference with the Carrollton station. I think 98.9 is Christmas until it changes to AC and then perhaps being relocated to a different signal (106.7 or 100.5). 97.9's format won't go anywhere because it's doing pretty good. It may, if anything, get relocated to a bigger stick (106.7 or 100.5). I still believe Cumulus will bring alternative to Atlanta to give Radio 105.7 a run for it's money (which IMHO will not be hard to do).

And they will call it Atlanta's Underground Alternative" likewise in Kansas City and New Orleans. My money goes to 106.7 first!

98.9, 100.5 and 106.7 are in store for some changes. Warm 98.9 will be Soft AC - perhaps a clone to its sister station in Cincinatti. Rock 100.5 will go Active Rock will 106.7 will go Alternative.

I still believe Cumulus will bring alternative to Atlanta to give Radio 105.7 a run for it's money (which IMHO will not be hard to do).

Why would anyone want to compete with a station with decent ratings (Averaging about 6th in 18-34) that is 24th in billing in the market? This is a hard format to monetize for all but the multi-decade heritage stations that have broadened the client base from bail bondsmen and pawn shops and clubs.

Why would anyone want to compete with a station with decent ratings (Averaging about 6th in 18-34) that is 24th in billing in the market? This is a hard format to monetize for all but the multi-decade heritage stations that have broadened the client base from bail bondsmen and pawn shops and clubs.

Is that what Madison Avenue thinks the alternative rock audience consists of? Slackers, likely on drugs and in need of quick cash to obtain them, who do nothing but go to clubs and get in trouble with the law?

Active rock didn't do so well the last time it was tried (Project 9-6-1 and The Bone). I have noticed that both River and Rock 100.5 are playing more 80s hair bands as of late, and shifting the music mix harder and newer (but nothing newer than the 90s, and not too much of that).

Isn't this the 5th format to go on this station? Active Rock, oldies, Christian Country, classic country, now soft AC. Wow, that's a lot of format changes for being on the air such a short period of time. This current format is one of the format holes we have been talking about. Maybe this one will stick. Curious as to what their playlist will be first of the year.

All the same people are in charge.
All the same people are not in charge. The Dickeys have been shown the door and I predict without their domination and influence, things will change.

[pause, heavy sigh}
At least, I can hope…

I keep reading about "the new brass at Cumulus," but really all that's happened are the Dickeys are gone, and there's a new CEO. AFAIK, everyone else is the same.

I would not surprise me if the new CEO takes Cumulus thru a bankruptcy. Most likely it would be a "prepackaged" deal, where she stays on. IIRC she is trying to change the "culture".

IMHO if Cumulus stays intact, there will have improvement in talent or at least moral.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom