• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Message board dentist dying to get noticed by Mike Francesa

He's at it again with another unnecessary Francesa topic dying to be noticed by him. Notice, I called him a message board dentist, because he was a nobody in radio and hasn't been involved in it in years.

And why does this bother you? Are you jealous or something? Sounds like sour grapes to me and offers nothing positive toward stimulating radio discussion. Just sayin'.

He's at it again with another unnecessary Francesa topic dying to be noticed by him. Notice, I called him a message board dentist, because he was a nobody in radio and hasn't been involved in it in years.

Dr. Sniffen has maintained his message board for many years with no compensation. He created a very nice and fun WABC tribute site, and maintains another message board dedicated to the history of New York radio. He also has a good 60's oldies streaming station.

Nobody else has done this.

He deserves praise. And he has the right to give opinions and as often as not, those are more on-spot than those from the posters on the site.

Perhaps the greatest compliment to his efforts is the percentage of posters who are or were NYC air talents, PDs, sellers and managers... even engineers.

And why does this bother you? Are you jealous or something? Sounds like sour grapes to me and offers nothing positive toward stimulating radio discussion. Just sayin'.

Agreed.

I personally think he deserves a little ribbing. his site just happened to be one of the first, if not only places to talk about radio back in the day, hence why everyone gravitated toward it. if they weren't so used to it, I wonder if they'd gravitate elsewhere.

to me he seems hypocritical at best. he bans people who doesn't fit his boards little vision, then does the same thing when similar posts by other people would get instantly deleted. he makes himself out to be this big shot in radio, knows all, sees all, and then when people find out what he really does, it kind of comes off a little sad.

whether he's right or not, it's the conduct on there that also deserves a little ribbing. but hey, it's his board. if he wants to rule it with an iron fist, so be it.
that's my opinion anyway...yours may vary.

that's my opinion anyway...yours may vary.
Mine is pretty much the same.

When Imus resurfaced at WABC the dentist posted sort of an "open letter" to Imus saying something like, "Why have you changed? Why aren't you the sharp guy you used to be ... etc. Why?"

I wanted to reply, "Because he's OLD! It's like saying to your 70-year-old wife, "Honey, you used to be so hot! What happened?" But I knew if I did my post would be gone in a flash.

Actually I find his posts articulate and generally interesting. Some are spot-on while others make me roll my eyes. That's OK, but he's narrow-minded and doesn't tolerate differing views very well. He doesn't come across as a particularly nice person.

Maybe it's me, but does anyone else think he's showing a little more tolerance in recent years? As he ages out of "the demo" I suspect we might see more of that.

Last edited:
Yea if you post something he doesnt like he deletes it yet if his "friends" post basically the same he lets it pass.

Jealous? He's the one trying to get Mike Francesa's attention, because the other media outlets attack him. Why isn't this topic positive? He runs his board like a jerk. You don't have to read this thread.

Dr. Sniffen has maintained his message board for many years with no compensation. He created a very nice and fun WABC tribute site, and maintains another message board dedicated to the history of New York radio. He also has a good 60's oldies streaming station.

Nobody else has done this.

He deserves praise. And he has the right to give opinions and as often as not, those are more on-spot than those from the posters on the site.

Perhaps the greatest compliment to his efforts is the percentage of posters who are or were NYC air talents, PDs, sellers and managers... even engineers.

First of all, most websites are free, unless it's someone popular like Rush Limbaugh. Secondly, why should I care that he streams oldies music that I could hear somewhere else? The reason why the some radio veterans have contributed to his board is, because he had one of the early radio boards. Look at how many people he's had issues with such as, Ted David.

Mine is pretty much the same.

When Imus resurfaced at WABC the dentist posted sort of an "open letter" to Imus saying something like, "Why have you changed? Why aren't you the sharp guy you used to be ... etc. Why?"

I wanted to reply, "Because he's OLD! It's like saying to your 70-year-old wife, "Honey, you used to be so hot! What happened?" But I knew if I did my post would be gone in a flash.

Actually I find his posts articulate and generally interesting. Some are spot-on while others make me roll my eyes. That's OK, but he's narrow-minded and doesn't tolerate differing views very well. He doesn't come across as a particularly nice person.

Maybe it's me, but does anyone else think he's showing a little more tolerance in recent years? As he ages out of "the demo" I suspect we might see more of that.

Believe me, he deletes posts as much as ever. I find a lot of his posts to sound stupid. He claimed that the reason why Opie and Anthony failed the second time was, because people expected too much of them? That is ridiculous. There's also his hatred of Howard Stern to the point that he'll delete a post if someone praises him.

First of all, most websites are free, unless it's someone popular like Rush Limbaugh. Secondly, why should I care that he streams oldies music that I could hear somewhere else? The reason why the some radio veterans have contributed to his board is, because he had one of the early radio boards. Look at how many people he's had issues with such as, Ted David.

I pointed out the streaming station as part of the effort that Dr Sniffen has put towards creating a good site.

Anyone else could have created a New York message board. But they didn't.

Broadcast boards tend to have some contentious participants. I had some issues myself with Ted David and his monumental lack of understanding of the business side of the industry he worked in for so long. I can't imagine Dr Sniffen not having issues with that individual.

Believe me, he deletes posts as much as ever. I find a lot of his posts to sound stupid. He claimed that the reason why Opie and Anthony failed the second time was, because people expected too much of them? That is ridiculous. There's also his hatred of Howard Stern to the point that he'll delete a post if someone praises him.

True. His opinions are typically ridiculous on any number of topics. Hating Howard, while prasing lame imitations is a prime example. Any credibility the Dr. had as a radio critic should no longer exist.

He just deleted a thread that had been going for the last couple of days. Hey, his football, his rues! I choose not to play.

True. His opinions are typically ridiculous on any number of topics. Hating Howard, while prasing lame imitations is a prime example. Any credibility the Dr. had as a radio critic should no longer exist.

Actually, he was among the first to debunk the "king of all media" assertions.

What he saw was that Stern had very low cume compared with the other top stations in mornings, but he got incredible TSL.

We now can do probability runs based on how Stern would have done in the PPM and it shows that most of the models do not even produce a top 10 AQH rank in LA or New York, due to low cume that would not have expanded much in the PPM and highly exaggerated "voting" in the diaries by the same kind of Stern addicts that would push their way into press conferences and other public gatherings.

Actually, he was among the first to debunk the "king of all media" assertions.

What he saw was that Stern had very low cume compared with the other top stations in mornings, but he got incredible TSL.

We now can do probability runs based on how Stern would have done in the PPM and it shows that most of the models do not even produce a top 10 AQH rank in LA or New York, due to low cume that would not have expanded much in the PPM and highly exaggerated "voting" in the diaries by the same kind of Stern addicts that would push their way into press conferences and other public gatherings.

Howard Stern has been successful both in and outside radio.

The Dr. has no radio success. His hatred of Howard could be construed as jealousy.

Broadcast boards tend to have some contentious participants. I had some issues myself with Ted David and his monumental lack of understanding of the business side of the industry he worked in for so long.

Contentiousness, IMO, occurs when someone claims to "know it all." To say that someone else has a "monumental lack of understanding" of anything shows a rather self-serving rigidity -- an unwillingness to accept any opinion that's outside the so-called box.

It's one thing to say, "I disagree," ... it's another to say, "You're wrong!" Ted is of the OPINION that advertisers shouldn't ignore the 55+ demo and has often posted material to back that up. That's hardly a monumental lack of understanding, in fact, it shows a willingness to dig deeper -- to ask, "what if ..." rather than just accept the conventional wisdom.

Last edited:
I read 'em all ...... Radio-Insight, the NYRMB, Radio-Discussion, and what I have in favourites as The Ted David Board and Riccio's Oldies Board.

On the NYRMB and its spinoff boards, I've noticed over the years that the less contentious I am -- the less blindly critical and the more positive/nostalgic -- then the less flack I hear from any of the moderators.
And I've heard from just about each and every one of them, too!
There are also other posters on the NYRMB, some of whom I know personally, who helped temper me down from 'snide' by their approaches to posting. I won't name names, but because of me reading their prose I'm in 'Less Snide' mode lately, and usually consider it an obligation to put in a positive suggestion or option when my veins are otherwise standing out over some topic.

And being a computer and electronic illiterate (with no change in the forecast) I'll ask some naive question that may roll the eyes of some, but I never hesitated to ask about something I don't know, and don't care who knows that I don't know. These forums are great for that.

I wish that this forum would return to the format that the NYRMB uses, with the re's right there. Some of those 're-re're' exchanges were quite entertaining. But progress is progress, I guess. You folks here and elsewhere know what you're doing.

But give the Doctor his due.

Always considered Bing Crosby (and, with a stretch, Jimmy Durante) to be the King of All Media. The debate goes on. It's just cool to have all these opinions about an industry to which we're all irreversably addicted.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom