• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The future of terrestrial radio

There are about 5 different threads around RD about the Norway story. It's not going to happen here because there's been absolutely no movement here towards DAB, whereas the Norwegians have been working on it for 20 years. Market forces aren't causing FM to go away in Norway. It's being driven by governmental actions. Our government hasn't done squat about radio.

As for radio fighting against digital, I don't see it that way. What I see is every company that owns radio stations building a digital presence. That was the whole motivation between Clear Channel changing its name to it's online subsidiary. For some reason, this article doesn't mention that.

There is no fight against digital. Everyone knows digital is the way to go. The fight is over the devices. The electronics manufacturers have stopped innovating products for radio, and are totally focused on phones. The smart phone is the new transistor radio. So yes, it would be great if phones could receive FM. But it doesn't change the fact that broadcast radio stations are available either through apps or other online platforms. We already see the best known on-air hosts and stations available online.

Apple wants to own everything. The music industry knows that. Apple practically killed the music industry's distribution system. No more brick & mortar music stores. So Apple is not going to give other companies free access to their platform. Truthfully, there's nothing anyone can do about that. If they don't want to allow FM on their phone, and the government isn't going to force them, then it won't happen.

At the same time, we have factual evidence that 249 million people listen to the content created by broadcast radio every week. Radio companies don't own their FM frequencies. They're owned by the government. Radio companies would be just as happy with digital radio if it was available here. But it's not, and the same government that owns FM isn't going to convert the country to DAB.

Last edited:
Also a link near the bottom to an article about discontinuance of FM in Norway by 2017.

It's not if but when.

That's not a discontinuance of FM... it's just a move in the band of frequencies used by the same set of government stations.

It's no more of a "discontinuance" than the change to HDTV was in the US.

I have a FM tuner in my new Motorola smartphone and its absolute crap. Terrible reception and audio quality. My old panasonic Walkman is a trillion times superior.

To show you where the US government is on digital radio, I give you this story from InsideRadio.com:

"Despite tests that have shown promise for an all-digital AM band, the prospects for a conversion have darkened in recent months as interest in the band has further shrunk and the FCC’s shown little interest in the idea."

The FM tuner in my Nokia is fantastic. Norway has about 22 FM stations. This is a non issue and you cannot compare the US with them. They already have 57 percent DAB penetration.
We have 800 million Analog FM Radios in use.
Settle down, kids.

Some guys just like to flap their jaws.... AM IS challenged, but FM has a lot of life left in it. 87.5- and 87.9 should be released to AMs, now.

That's not a discontinuance of FM... it's just a move in the band of frequencies used by the same set of government stations.

It's no more of a "discontinuance" than the change to HDTV was in the US.

Frequency Modulation is analog, not digital. Nobody said the content will be discontinued ... only the analog delivery.

From what I understand, community and low powered stations that are not state run will stay on the FM dial, it's only the state run stations (all 5 of them) that are leaving the FM band.

Nobody's predicting the "imminent" end of terrestrial radio in the US. At the moment there's no catalyst ... no inflection point ... but there will be. When that happens we'll see broadcast radio go the way of the audio cassette. Again, "it's not if but when." Meanwhile there's no harm in noting the signs that TR is getting long in the tooth.

Fact is, everything is moving to IP. Cable TV is much younger than FM but many prognosticators (including industry execs) are giving it another decade at best.

I saw a post elsewhere where someone actually suggested FM has another hundred years to go! By then IP will be an historical footnote.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom