• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Wbeb

U

Unregistered

Ive heard Jerry Lee has put WBEB up for sale. Who willl buy it ? AC music likely willl remain on 101.1.

The issue with that station, according to Tom Taylor, is the debt load. Any new owner is assuming a lot of debt from when Jerry bought out his partner ten years ago. That additional debt might scare off Cumulus.

The issue with that station, according to Tom Taylor, is the debt load. Any new owner is assuming a lot of debt from when Jerry bought out his partner ten years ago. That additional debt might scare off Cumulus.

what company could buy WBEB & take on debt ? CBS, I--Heart, Greater Media, Beasley, Radio One, etc ?

Ive heard Jerry Lee has put WBEB up for sale. Who willl buy it ? AC music likely willl remain on 101.1.

Any proof to this claim? I know Jerry is getting older, but I'd like to see this proven somewhere before speculating.

Either way, whoever buys would be a fool to tinker too much with it.

Serious question here. If b101 has been a ratings leader for decades, and theoretically they should be a top biller, why, after 10 years, is it still in debt?

Serious question here. If b101 has been a ratings leader for decades, and theoretically they should be a top biller, why, after 10 years, is it still in debt?

It goes back to what I said in post #4. When Jerry's partner died 10 years ago, he bought out the estate for about $85 million, based on station values at that time. That amount was financed. So I don't know how much has been paid back, but there is some debt from that transaction, and according to Tom Taylor, the interest rate is over 10%.

Last edited:
I think that CBS should buy this station and sell 1210 WPHT to someone else. It would be a smart move for CBS to make, if they want 101.1 FM

The market value for the station - for any station - is considerably less than it was 10 years ago. The market for radio properties has seriously declined.

The cost to any buyer would be the selling price for the license and any included station assets. Plus, assuming the purchase includes the station's outstanding debt, the cost of the station includes all the remaining principle and interest. Given that the big owners already mentioned incurred big debt when they went on their buying binges a decade or more ago, they may not be so eager this time to swallow a station unable to pay off what it owes.

I also wouldn't assume anything lasts forever - including AC. Potential buyers are going to have to factor in how long this station is likely to continue to pay.

If the figures mentioned here are accurate, Jerry Lee may have trouble finding anyone willing to assume his debt and the market value of the station may not be enough to retire the debt. Of course, this is what bankruptcy lawyers are for.

Add to all this, if and when he does sell, the government comes after him for capital gains.

I say: Declare bankruptcy to get out of debt. Give the station to WHYY for a tax write-off. (Please not how many major market public broadcasters operate multiple stations in their respective markets.)

Are you suggesting CBS should flip WBEB to WPHT-FM, skipping the simulcast phase, because that would be a GREAT idea if they did that!

On a serious note, has a station ever just skipped the AM/FM simulcast period and instantly created a new format for the AM when the AM moved?

I think that CBS should buy this station and sell 1210 WPHT to someone else. It would be a smart move for CBS to make, if they want 101.1 FM

Jul,

Of your absurd ideas, this one is a whopper.

WBEB is the second highers billing station in Philadelphia, and has to be by far the most profitable.

WBEB bills over four (4) times as much money as WPHT.

Profitable stations are sold for a multiple of their cash flow. Why would CBS buy what would no doubt be the most expensive station in town and then put a format that is on life support nearly everywhere on it, blowing off the billings and the profit?

cbs might sell WPHT. And buy WBEB & keep AC on it.
Would the fcc approve that ?

Are you suggesting CBS should flip WBEB to WPHT-FM, skipping the simulcast phase, because that would be a GREAT idea if they did that!

On a serious note, has a station ever just skipped the AM/FM simulcast period and instantly created a new format for the AM when the AM moved?

NO. I'm suggesting that CBS keeps the format at 101.1 FM and sells 1210 WPHT to someone else. CBS would have to sell a station, since they will be at the limit.

Jul,

Of your absurd ideas, this one is a whopper.

WBEB is the second highers billing station in Philadelphia, and has to be by far the most profitable.

WBEB bills over four (4) times as much money as WPHT.

Profitable stations are sold for a multiple of their cash flow. Why would CBS buy what would no doubt be the most expensive station in town and then put a format that is on life support nearly everywhere on it, blowing off the billings and the profit?
I'm suggesting that CBS keeps the current format at 101.1 FM and sells 1210 WPHT to someone else. CBS would have to sell a station, since they will be at the limit.

Yes that's what I was thinking. They don't own one here.

Not sure that it would be worth the money just to put a notch in a belt.

Their CEO just did a conference call yesterday with investors. I don't recall him talking about acquisitions at all. The main subject was making the current stations cost effective. WBEB operates very differently from Cumulus. I'd say that's an understatement.

I'm suggesting that CBS keeps the current format at 101.1 FM and sells 1210 WPHT to someone else. CBS would have to sell a station, since they will be at the limit.

I take my criticism back. That actually makes sense, and would complement the CBS cluster. However, with all the talk of CBS radio being in play, I wonder if they would be looking for an acquisition now.

WBEB operates very differently from Cumulus. I'd say that's an understatement.

You mean that WBEB is magnificently well run?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom