• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Kevin & Bean - the beginning of the end?

Two mainstays of the Kevin & Bean show - DOC on the ROQ and Lisa May were let go Thursday. Hard to fathom such a cavalier action by CBS toward its golden goose team. If the K&B show ceases to exist in the next couple of years, I think we can point to this past week as the beginning of the end.

I was also shocked to see that CBS had fired Boyd R. Britton (Doc on the ROQ) after all these years. I remember first hearing him on KKDJ/KIIS during Charlie Tuna's morning show there, and later for his offbeat newscasts on Ten-Q (KTNQ).

ReelRadio has a 1977 aircheck of The Real Don Steele which includes a complete Boyd R. Britton newscast. His newscasts were cut from two other airchecks. I've gotten hundreds of airchecks from other collectors and I'm always dismayed when I discover that a newscast was cut. When I listen to tapes many years later, those newscasts pinpoint the era just as much as the music does.

https://www.reelradio.com/access.php?anchor=rdsktnq031177

K.M., with all the consolidation and budget cutbacks and firings and voice-tracking, do you foresee a day when no station has a two-man morning show?

Lisa May was my Metro Traffic reporter providing the Beach & Surf conditions as well on K-Surf 103.1. Always enjoyed her hourly reports. Boyd R. Britton/Doc was great and we will miss him too!

K.M., with all the consolidation and budget cutbacks and firings and voice-tracking, do you foresee a day when no station has a two-man morning show?
Sure. These kinds of things can be cyclical, and there is plenty of history of one-man morning shows, not only here but in other places:

Charlie Tuna
Dick Whittinghill
Don Imus
Robert W. Morgan
Dr. Don Rose

... to name just five.

What a tribute this morning from Kevin & Bean to those two as printed on Don's site. Lisa wasn't even a KROQ employee? When outsourced workers are subject to getting axed in the name of inventory, this just shows how Fu@ked up Radio can be?

Doesn't 987 do better than 1067 outside of morning drive? So then not only the ratings but the revenue are really dependent on this heritage morning show, I can't see why cbs would want to do a thing to upset them, we are talking about fooling around with millions of dollars here.

david speculated that the Kevin & Bean show may be coming to an end. The Mark & Brian show came to an end. And I have fond memories of listening to Lohman & Barkley on KFWB and KFI. (I even sent away for my Lohman & Barkley Lemonade Stand kit.) I enjoyed Hudson & Landry on KGBS, Garabo & Murphy (who pretended to be two Sparkletts water deliverymen who auditioned for the morning show and got accepted) on KZLA, Charlie Brill & Mitzi McCall on KFI, Gary Owens & Al Lohman on KFI, and Charlie Tuna & Dean Goss on KODJ. Not every two-person team was successful, though. In 1973, KRLA experimented with two-man teams in every time slot, which meant paying twice as much for DJ salaries. Brilliant! After a few months, most of the jocks quit and the station went to automation, using voice-tracks of Johnny Hayes and Greg Shannon. I foresee a day when no music radio stations have any local two-person shows. The term "solo DJ" will be a redundancy.

I never dug the multi-person morning shifts... all that talk and less time for music. Back in the old days back east, Herb Oscar Anderson, Joe O'Brien, Harry Harrison, et al, NONE needed an "assistant". Talk shows are different of course. But "talk shows" like Mark & Brian never got my attention, the classic rock KLOS played did.

I listened to Lohman & Barkley more for them than for the music they played...but I agree that two-person morning shows tend to focus on talk more than on music. I like to hear John & Ken and I used to listen to Tracey Miller and Terri-Rae Elmer (cleverly calling themselves TNT), but two-person teams on talk radio tend to talk mostly to each other and not to the listeners. I remember the "Two-Way Radio" format of KLAC in 1966-67, anchored by Joe Pyne in mornings. The hosts spent most of each hour talking with listeners via telephone. Imagine that! John & Ken often speak by phone with someone who is in the news but I seldom hear them take calls from ordinary listeners. Rush Limbaugh will take calls and the late George Putnam not only took calls, he was polite and patient with everyone he spoke with. But, for the most part, talk radio is no longer "Two-Way Radio"---it's "One-Way Radio."

Doesn't 987 do better than 1067 outside of morning drive? So then not only the ratings but the revenue are really dependent on this heritage morning show, I can't see why cbs would want to do a thing to upset them, we are talking about fooling around with millions of dollars here.

New trend in the industry, referenced in the Barrett article this morning. Morning shows no longer "need" news and traffic reports, as more and more people rely on smartphone applications and the Net. If they are using radio the tendency is to tune in the all-news station rather than expect it on your music station.

KCBS-FM ("Jack") has never had news.

Watch. The ratings will go up as a result of this. I hate saying that, since I come from an era of radio being a full-service medium, but I'm fairly confident that will be the outcome given today's realities.

New trend in the industry, referenced in the Barrett article this morning. Morning shows no longer "need" news and traffic reports, as more and more people rely on smartphone applications and the Net. If they are using radio the tendency is to tune in the all-news station rather than expect it on your music station.

KCBS-FM ("Jack") has never had news.

Watch. The ratings will go up as a result of this. I hate saying that, since I come from an era of radio being a full-service medium, but I'm fairly confident that will be the outcome given today's realities.

You should be careful about making predictions like that. If you are wrong, and given your vast treasure trove of experience, what will people think of your reputation?

I'm slightly older than K.M., old enough to remember when KFWB broadcast not only twice-an-hour newscasts, sports and weather but also high-school sports scores, shopping tips and stolen-car reports. In the 1970s, KKZZ in Lancaster often gave notices of missing pets and occasionally aired phone calls of listeners who wanted to buy or sell a car. I wonder: When we hear about a major disaster or a celebrity death, where do we go for updates? Radio? CNN or FOX News? A local tv channel? An online source? Someone should conduct a poll. I agree with K.M.---radio stations will always get ratings...but many of them are becoming irrelevant. They're turning into jukeboxes with commercials.

You should be careful about making predictions like that. If you are wrong, and given your vast treasure trove of experience, what will people think of your reputation?
There goes KM's short lived streak of predictions...

Looks like former KTLA/Channel 5 Morning News' Allie MacKay has joined the KROQ Kevin & Bean Morning Show

There goes KM's short lived streak of predictions...

Looks like former KTLA/Channel 5 Morning News' Allie MacKay has joined the KROQ Kevin & Bean Morning Show

There goes Scott trying to get the best of me again.

My prediction was based on what Bean said on the air Friday morning:

Now what we really don’t kind of need full-time, dedicated people to present that information on the Kevin & Bean Show, as of this week there is no more traffic and unfortunately that means Lisa May is no longer with us on the program and also that means there is no news and that means our co-worker Doc is not on the program with us.

Perhaps you should be chiding Mr. Baxter for either not knowing what his corporate masters were doing ("left hand, meet right hand") or misspeaking himself.

There goes Scott trying to get the best of me again.

My prediction was based on what Bean said on the air Friday morning:

Now what we really don’t kind of need full-time, dedicated people to present that information on the Kevin & Bean Show, as of this week there is no more traffic and unfortunately that means Lisa May is no longer with us on the program and also that means there is no news and that means our co-worker Doc is not on the program with us.

Perhaps you should be chiding Mr. Baxter for either not knowing what his corporate masters were doing ("left hand, meet right hand") or misspeaking himself.

No, he DID get the best of you again. Your prediction, which would have taken at least three months to verify, was effectively shot down within three hours. But don't worry, your reputation for making bad predictions has not gotten any worse in my book.

Last edited:
No, he DID get the best of you again. Your prediction, which would have taken at least three months to verify, was effectively shot down within three hours. But don't worry, your reputation for making bad predictions has not gotten any worse in my book.

Hey, I was right about Indie. :rolleyes:

Info on Allie's hire with statement from KROQ PD Kevin Weatherly on Doc and Lisa's departure:

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/138630/kroq-adds-allie-mac-kay-to-morning-show

Well, that was yesterday. My prediction which everyone seems so overjoyed to trash me over as based on remarks made on the air during Friday's K&B show. Had Kevin Weatherly told Bean this was going to happen, he would not have said what he said ("there is no news") and I wouldn't have said what I said based on that.

Honestly, you'd think none of you ever in your lives made a statement proven wrong by later events. So petty.

Just stop predicting like you are the all knowing 'Mystic Seer' which at least requires a Penny. No one is out to trash you or prove you wrong. If you actually believe everything you hear or read, your "research" as you refer to is no doubt flawed. When you make assumptions and or portend to speak from a voice of authority you are bound to be wrong from time to time. Let it go KM, many of us don't take you that seriously anyway!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom