• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

NY gets a new Exband AM

WRCR 1300 filed back in 2007 to move to 1700 with a just over 180 degree tall tower....the FCC finally issued a CP for them (but with a slightly past 90 degree tall tower) still pending Canadian approval! Comes with a change of COL as well...from Spring Valley to Ramapo.

Still, this is the first Exband move from the legacy MW band since the original CPs were issued (afaik); the authorization clearly states the 1300 channel will be turned off and deleted from the database when 1700 starts transmitting (any bets on that??)..

could we see more stations move to the Exband?

Nearest 1700 to NYC is in Huntsville, Alabama, a little over 800 miles away. Other 1700's in Miami and Des Moines, both over 1,000 miles away, plus the two in Texas. No Canadians on 1700, so plenty of elbow room here.

Expanded AM band----- a failed idea from the FCC. So, will they come up with other ideas to try to help AM?
It's 30 years too late !

I wonder how this will affect the TIS stations at JFK and Westchester County Airport as well as Manville, NJ, Newark Airport and Lyndhurst, NJ and CLARK, NJ all on 1700?

I wonder how this will affect the TIS stations at JFK and Westchester County Airport as well as Manville, NJ, Newark Airport and Lyndhurst, NJ and CLARK, NJ all on 1700?
TIS is a secondary service. They either accept what interference they get or file for a change in facilities.

A few questions .......

Will the format remain the same? Whatever it is ? ............

I hear that those Canadian-Clear frequencies such as 690, 740, 860 et al still retain a form of sovereignty even after the exodus to FM. But why would a move of a U.S. station to 1700 need Canadian approval? Was that treaty business from long ago to 'run writ' to some channels on the new X-Band as well?
I mean, there always have been future-based investments and maneuvres available to provide some form of golden parachute, small or large. So I find the 'Canadian approval' asterisk curious. Wouldn't a claim to 1700, for whatever reason (plus by a government that's moved away from AM faster than this country has) be more of a lead parachute? ...........

Why the change of COL from Spring Valley to Ramapo ? ...........

How many AM receivers out there are able to receive 1700? It's difficult to buy any device capable of receiving AM these days, let alone the expanded band.

How many AM receivers out there are able to receive 1700? It's difficult to buy any device capable of receiving AM these days, let alone the expanded band.

I've got an old '02 Saturn with the original factory-installed radio and it goes from 530 to 1710 on AM. Is this unusual?

Any car radio since the 1990s is capable of receiving Xband...same for table top / home radios...your statement may have been true in the 1980s but not these days

A few questions .......

Will the format remain the same? Whatever it is ? ............

I hear that those Canadian-Clear frequencies such as 690, 740, 860 et al still retain a form of sovereignty even after the exodus to FM. But why would a move of a U.S. station to 1700 need Canadian approval? Was that treaty business from long ago to 'run writ' to some channels on the new X-Band as well?
I mean, there always have been future-based investments and maneuvres available to provide some form of golden parachute, small or large. So I find the 'Canadian approval' asterisk curious. Wouldn't a claim to 1700, for whatever reason (plus by a government that's moved away from AM faster than this country has) be more of a lead parachute? ...........

Why the change of COL from Spring Valley to Ramapo ? ...........

ANY station close to the border (North or south) requires notifying the adj country and getting approval..that's been part of NARBA since the 1940s....guess you didn't know that...

As to COL change, not sure....

Canada will not be licensing any station on 1700, they decided to take the odd numbered frequencies in the ex band. Any station that is on the air and all applications have been for 1610, 1630, 1650, 1670 and 1690. I can name 2 (one in Calgary and one in Ottawa) that were denied due to not complying with CRTC regs in their applications. The new 1700 is far enough from Canada that it shouldn't need our approval.

The closest would be Montreal. And it's biggest problem is a co-channel in Toronto. The signal from 1700 that would even arrive in the area isn't strong enough to cause problems. We are just as close to NYC in Ottawa as Montreal is, and 1660 doesn't cause any issues to our local 1670. Nor does the 1680 in New Jersey cause any problems.

Look at the coverage maps!
This is not a(n) NYC radio station.
It is almost a rimshot daytimer at best.

NOOne mentioned NYC...until your post.

Please reread all posts...the original I posted said NY, NOT NYC....big difference with the C missing

I remember that...and that was why I included the x band stations in New Jersey. 1660 does reach into the boroughs, and it looks like 1700 might very well too. I'm looking forward to being able to hear it and see what they do.

Sorry, in my area NY is spelled with a silent C :rolleyes:

What made me think NY"C" was when someone mentioned competing with W"C"BS-FM earlier.

Last edited:
Ha, A141 -- I'd thought the same thing -- 'New York City' -- as this *is* the name of it all. No biggie.

@ ContinuousWave: I had known about the border-distance thing, but only casually, and from an oblique way. I once worked at a high-end station, on 1580, a daytimer, at which the CE said that if the station went full-time, it could not send more than 7 watts toward Canada. But you're right ; I didn't know the treaty went back to the Forties. I don't even go back to the Forties.

Question: What is the prescribed distance? Is there just a blanket standard distance used (sort of an immutable DMZ exactly parallel for the entire border) and WRCR falls within that zone? I'm imagining that such a zone would end somewhere between Ramapo and New York City ; again, fill me in if I'm in error.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom