• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Utterly Disgusting Radio Dial

It is embarrassing how truly bad Atlanta radio stations are. I know this has been thrown around before, but literally at least for me, and I am sure I am not the only on on here. There is just not one station that I can enjoy listening to. We have way too much country, hip hop/R&B, etc. Do any of you think anything will change this weekend Labor Day, or before the years end? I want my oldies back, and classic hits from 97.1 does not fit the bill, nor B98.5 with a few 80s thrown in. It just amazes me that 98.9 was doing as best they could with limited power, then they flip to a lame country format. The Dickey brothers are complete fools, yet 97.9 continues with its idiotic format as well.

I see 97.1 more as classic rock then classic hits. Still its better than nothing. I am down to listening to this and Newsradio 106.7. Not sure how much longer that will be around.

Lew and John Dickey do not have the best reputation as far as people to work for. But I would not call them "complete fools." They make millions.

Thanks for clarifying. Gee, why didn't I think of that???

Yeah! What's wrong with you, forming an opinion of how good or bad a radio station sounds to your ears? Never mind that most people I've talked to agree with you, or that my own two ears agree with you. Never mind that everyone's favorite Atlanta radio station is the one that happens to suck the least. The "professionals" know better than the rest of us.

Lew and John Dickey do not have the best reputation as far as people to work for. But I would not call them "complete fools." They make millions.

Proving the wisdom of HL Mencken.

Yeah, you're right... all of those Urban and Country stations (along with the River and B98.5) have giant ratings right now. The big bad corporate radio guys must've really missed the mark. The Dickeys aren't the best guys in the world, but they're not the only owners in the market.

Wake up Max, this is what commercial radio is in 2014. If you don't like it, get an iPod or Sirius.

I think you should reconsider your choice of words (i,e, fools). Cumulus might not make the audience happy with the selection of formats in Atlanta but I think they do it in a more money type of approach. News Talk 106.7 might not be the greatest or yet, highest rating wise station in the market but it helps them make money. The same probably goes for Nash FM Icons. It might be a pain to hear but it's making them have money.

By the way, what kind of music do you enjoy listening too?

max100, have you met dcowboy7? You two would be a match made in heaven...

It is embarrassing how truly bad Atlanta radio stations are. I know this has been thrown around before, but literally at least for me, and I am sure I am not the only on on here. There is just not one station that I can enjoy listening to. We have way too much country, hip hop/R&B, etc. Do any of you think anything will change this weekend Labor Day, or before the years end? I want my oldies back, and classic hits from 97.1 does not fit the bill, nor B98.5 with a few 80s thrown in. It just amazes me that 98.9 was doing as best they could with limited power, then they flip to a lame country format. The Dickey brothers are complete fools, yet 97.9 continues with its idiotic format as well.

I think you should reconsider your choice of words (i,e, fools). Cumulus might not make all of the listening audience happy with the selection of formats in Atlanta but I think they do it in a more money type of approach. News Talk 106.7 might not be the greatest or yet, highest rating wise station in the market but it helps them make money. The same probably goes for Nash FM Icons. It might be a pain to hear but it's making them have money.

By the way, what kind of music do you enjoy listening too?

Last edited:
Radio dials like Atlanta are the primary reason Sirius XM stays in business.
Get what you want, when you want it. Satellite Radio is my choice for music. Nothing
on the Atlanta dial suits me.

It always cracks me up when the suits defend bad radio by pointing out that all of the radio stations on the dial suck so badly that even being only a tiny bit less terrible than all the other stations is all it takes to make it to number one. I'd compare the ratings for Atlanta radio stations to the results of the Special Olympics, but that would be an insult to the participants in the Special Olympics. At least they try.

It always cracks me up when the suits defend bad radio by pointing out that all of the radio stations on the dial suck so badly that even being only a tiny bit less terrible than all the other stations is all it takes to make it to number one. I'd compare the ratings for Atlanta radio stations to the results of the Special Olympics, but that would be an insult to the participants in the Special Olympics. At least they try.

It is just a matter of time before no one listens to terresrtial radio anymore, people are sick of the decisions being made for the almighty dollar. And how does having a translator with a 0.1 share make money? Oldies had very decent ratings on 98.9.

I can't believe I am saying but, the radio "suits" are really not the problem with Atlanta Radio. The Ad agencies and their clients are responsible for what is heard on the commercial part of the band. The suits & radio programmers are trying to please their customers: the advertisers. I personally find the audio fidelity on SiriusXM lacking.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom