• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Proof that hearing Hotel California repeatedly will drive you crazy

Less than 450 on KHHT. That's bad. They can upgrade to 900 or 1000 rhythmic oldies songs and it would be MUCH better. Pull out the rarer songs once in a while!

They used to have a bigger library. And smaller ratings.

A rhythmic oldies station tends to sit around 350-450 titles. Any more, and you are playing songs with huge negatives for different parts of the total audience.

While it is incredibly painful for me to type with the minimal mobility I have after a recent accident, I have to respond with a suggestion to the below statement:

I hate major market radio.

Then stop listening.

If the programming methodologies that are providing saleable ratings don't appeal to your personal concept of what a station should sound like, stop listening.

Bitching about it has already been proven multiple times to not change anything. All it does is prove that you have learned nothing from previous discussions.

Go ahead and "report" me to Boz if you want. I am in too much pain and discomfort to respond further to this nonsense anyway.

K.M.

So sorry to hear about your circumstances. I wish you a speedy recovery.

R

Bitching about it has already been proven multiple times to not change anything. All it does is prove that you have learned nothing from previous discussions.

Go ahead and "report" me to Boz if you want. I am in too much pain and discomfort to respond further to this nonsense anyway.

Why don't you just ignore us. Why do you respond to every "bitching" that appears on RD that you disagree with?? I don't, or my post total would be well over 10,000 by now. "Hotel California" is overplayed.....period! If you like that song so much then listen to it all day long. We are right. The residents of LA don't even know what they are missing on CH radio, because of the suppression KRTH provides. Too bad.

Less than 450 on KHHT. That's bad. They can upgrade to 900 or 1000 rhythmic oldies songs and it would be MUCH better. Pull out the rarer songs once in a while!

-crainbebo

Yeah they should. This radio suppression is unbelievable these days.

Yeah they should. This radio suppression is unbelievable these days.

On the other board, one of the posters suggested that this sort of content comes from "Oldies Trolls". I concur.

"Hotel California" is overplayed.....period!

If they played it 50 times a week, and it still tested in the top quintile, it would not be overplayed. "Played out" conditions occur when a song that has scored at a certain level starts declining in test scores. Obviously, that is not the case with "Hotel" and, ergo, you are wrong.

We are right.

No, you are not. This is forum is about radio stations and radio in general. So any discussion of music and songs is in that context. The programming ideas you suggest, to the best of my knowledge, never, ever work.

The residents of LA don't even know what they are missing on CH radio, because of the suppression KRTH provides. Too bad.

Of course, KRTH jumped to #1 in the market when they adjusted the list, and it has moved up to the top 5 in 25-54... the best they have done in decades. It they get 6 to 8 books at around that same 0.6 rating in 12+, the increase should be worth about $10 million a year in billings.

No, you are not. This is forum is about radio stations and radio in general. So any discussion of music and songs is in that context. The programming ideas you suggest, to the best of my knowledge, never, ever work.

It works. You refuse to acknowledge it. I've already given you countless examples of radio stations that have been brought up by myself and other "oldies trolls" that have large playlists, including one in Southern California, east of LA, but once again, if it isn't #1 or in a large market, they don't matter to you.

If they played it 50 times a week, and it still tested in the top quintile, it would not be overplayed. "Played out" conditions occur when a song that has scored at a certain level starts declining in test scores. Obviously, that is not the case with "Hotel" and, ergo, you are wrong.

I'm not wrong, because regular listeners (not trolls) complain about it as well. There's a great and beautiful world outside of the cave. (or a closed office space with sectional dividers)

Last edited:
I'm not wrong, because regular listeners (not trolls) complain about it as well. There's a great and beautiful world outside of the cave. (or a closed office space with sectional dividers)

Sorry, I telecommute and work from wherever I happen to be. I've never, ever, worked in a cubicle.

And about 2.5 million persons in the LA metro like KRTH enough to make it #1.

In the April-May-June period last year, when KRTH had about 600 to 700 songs in rotation, it was around 20th in 25-54 listening, and now it is Top 5 or 6.

It works. You refuse to acknowledge it. I've already given you countless examples of radio stations that have been brought up by myself and other "oldies trolls" that have large playlists, including one in Southern California, east of LA, but once again, if it isn't #1 or in a large market, they don't matter to you.

You have not brought up one significant example of a "successful" station if we define "success" as either having a large audience or being exceptionally successful financially

The one in the LA market (not "east of LA" as it is fully inside the metro) is an LPFM. The "LP" stands for "low power" as it has 100 watts at 100' HAAT. It's a non commercial, non-profit station run by a person who wanted to give some service to the community that he, as a professional in the industry, knew commercial stations could not offer. It's a wonderful story, but not a model for a licensed commercial signal.

The other one you mentioned recently is a high-band AM station in a SE suburb of Denver with an FM translator that covers less than 10% of the market population. It has been through 3 1/2 books since the closing and has a 0.1 share, with all the listeners being in 55+. The new owner overpaid, vastly, for this truly ugly facility which does not have the signal to compete nor salable programming.

Neither of those are models for success for a significant station to use, and certainly not for KRTH, the highest rated station in the #1 billing radio market in the world.

So everyone in favor of larger playlists is a troll?
Wow.

The ones who post over and over about longer playlists despite the wealth of data about how this hurts ratings would, by default, fit in the "troll" category.

Or:

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Albert Einstein

In the April-May-June period last year, when KRTH had about 600 to 700 songs in rotation, it was around 20th in 25-54 listening, and now it is Top 5 or 6.

You crack me up! It was #20 because of the aging 60's music Jhani Kaye kept in rotation, not because it had 700 songs. You take out the 60's and boom! You're top 5! Exactly why, KRTH can maintain it's top 5 with 700-900 songs, instead of just 400.
It's the type (or era) of music that will determine results, not so much the quantity of music. Give it a try.

You have not brought up one significant example of a "successful" station if we define "success" as either having a large audience or being exceptionally successful financially

#2 WOGL and their large and REAL specialty weekends.

You crack me up! It was #20 because of the aging 60's music Jhani Kaye kept in rotation,

The 60's songs were ones that were quite familiar in the market. The change was not just taking out the 60's, it was re-targeting the whole stations against a different demo. And that group had fewer consensus songs.

It's the type (or era) of music that will determine results, not so much the quantity of music. Give it a try.

Stations pick year ranges or eras of music to appeal to a specific target audience. They confirm this with actual listener testing in larger markets. Just picking one era or year range is not a guarantee of any particular kind of results, whether good or bad.

And I have either "tried it" or watched other people "try it" and longer playlists don't get results. Nearly always the shorter, well researched list will win... usually quite dramatically.

Anyway, it's a lot more complex than what you suggest.

Factors:

1. Market composition including ethnicity, place of origin, median age, cultural influences, etc.
2. Competitive array including number of competitors for the demo you seek, signals, cluster strategies, etc.
3. The listeners: finding the consensus broad appeal songs for the target audience.
4. The blend and flow: how the music is rotated, how each hour and sweep flows and its appeal to each demographic subset of the target.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom