• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Songs that segue into each other

vchimpanzee said:
firepoint525 said:
Well you were told wrong, so give it up already. ::) Definitely have not heard it played that way on any Clear Channel station. And they DO play some of the other examples mentioned here.
I don't think I was. Clear Channel can do what they want, apparently.
Are you STILL beating that old dead horse THREE WEEKS LATER? Repeat after me: TWO....SEPARATE....TRACKS. And Clear Channel is the biggest radio corporation out there. I don't give a rat's ass what some grocery store's speaker system plays. ::)

I don't have anything against Van Halen; even have some of their stuff in my collection, but even THEY would tell you that those are two separate songs, regardless of how some radio station somewhere might have played them. Some stations still play entire album sides. But that still doesn't make it a "medley."

What did you say here?
vchimpanzee said:
I was told this.
See, you have even backtracked from what was supposedly "your" argument.
This is the opposite of what this topic is about, but "Dee Snider's House of Hair" plays a version of "We Will Rock You" without "We Are the Champions". Not Queen.
Those (at least by Queen) are also two separate tracks. They were back-to-back on the same single. That should tell you something. And they were adjacent tracks on the album. And they ARE still played together, even on Clear-Channel stations. See, even I will give you credit when I think you are right about something. But those are still two separate and distinct tracks, as well.

You make it fun for me to pull your chain, especially since you won't give up! ::)

One of my neighbors had a radio on. I heard music that sounded like the theme to some futuristic show from the 60s about space. This was followed by Van Halen's "Jump".

The "spacey" track heard immediately before "Jump" was likely the instrumental "1984," the lead off track from Van Halen's MCMLXXXIV (1984). I know WZLX plays both back to back.

Do go back to Boston's "Foreplay/Long Time," even though they were written as two separate compositions, they are the same track on the album, hence wouldn't qualify for the 'two separate tracks' argument.

Here's a few more that perhaps qualify that I've heard over the years:
The Who, "I am the Sea-->The Real Me"
Pink Floyd, "Speak to Me-->Breathe-->On the Run"
Pink Floyd, ending to "Bring the Boys Back Home-->Comfortably Numb"
David Bowie, "Ziggy Stardust-->Suffragette City" (common on Q104.3)
Green Day, "Brain Stew-->Jaded" (maybe not CLASSIC rock, but qualifies)
Led Zeppelin, "Friends-->Celebration Day" (usually only during a 'Get the Led Out'-type segment)
J. Geils Band, "Lookin' for a Love (intro)-->Ain't Nothin' But a Houseparty" (live version)
INXS, "Need You Tonight-->Mediate"
Doors, "Peace Frog-->Blue Sunday"
Yes, "Long Distance Runaround-->The Fish"
ZZ Top, "Waitin' for the Bus-->Jesus Just Left Chicago"
Allman Brothers Band, "Don't Want You No More-->It's Not My Cross to Bear"
Heart, "Dreamboat Annie (Fantasy Child)-->Crazy On You"

Sorry if there were any repeats...

Jacko

"Pioneer/Six Months in a Leaky Boat" by Split Enz from the album Time and Tide.
Just thought of this one....It wan't a big radio hit (outside of KROQ) but MTV used to play the video which featured both songs.

(Pioneer is an instrumental similiar to Foreplay)

Heard this song segue on local classic rocker The Bear on Saturday.

Actually this song(s) had one of the strangest shelf lives ever. This was back in the day when I had an actual record store(LPs, 8 tracks and cassettes), so I had a huge interest in the music charts. First the label released Switchin' to Glide and the song hung at to the bottom of the Billboard 100. Then they started promoting Beat/Switchin' and it edged up to around 60 then almost fell off the chart. WLS put it in heavy rotation and it started moving back up and almost cracked the national top 40. Stayed on the top 100 for about 6 months w/o making the top 40, which was probably a longevity record. I always wondered how high it would have charted had all of this come together at one time.

Do go back to Boston's "Foreplay/Long Time," even though they were written as two separate compositions, they are the same track on the album, hence wouldn't qualify for the 'two separate tracks' argument.
I believe that that was a tactical move to encourage the play of both tracks. After all, Boston was a new band at the time, and "Long Time" was the single out of those two. (I remember a top 40 near me playing just the album version of "Long Time," without "Foreplay" as its lead-in. I have to assume that it was extremely rare to do that.)

Quote Originally Posted by vchimpanzee My favorite David Lee Roth song is actually "Just a Gigolo"/"I Ain't Got Nobody" (which also fits the category), so I'm hardly a VH fan.

Actually a much better example. They were (I think) released as a medley together.

Why yes, yes they were.

Back in 1956 by Louis Prima.

Roth just did a cover version.

Most AOR/classic rock stations pair Journey's Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin' with City of Angels, the very next track on the album.

Don't know if Journey ever performed COA live, though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom