• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Do any AC stations still play these tracks?

I can remember Michael Buble, Rod Stewart and a couple of others get their big band era style hits played on AC. I assume that's a thing of the past.

I still get to hear them, of course.

I heard a song by Norah Jones this morning. I only remember that it is by her. I got a new clock radio and can't understand most of what Jeff Rollins is saying, and I didn't hear whether it was in fact "Happy Pills" I was hearing.

It seems out of character for today's AC radio. Do they play it?

Do any AC stations ever play "Eye In The Sky" by Alan Parsons Project? It charted at #3 on AC in 1982. I still hear it on My local Classic/Adult Hits station, but I haven't heard it on AC in what seems like generations. Pretty good track.

vchimpanzee said:
I heard a song by Norah Jones this morning. I only remember that it is by her. I got a new clock radio and can't understand most of what Jeff Rollins is saying, and I didn't hear whether it was in fact "Happy Pills" I was hearing.

It seems out of character for today's AC radio. Do they play it?
It's actually "Chasing Pirates", and it just so happened it was Talk Like a Pirate Day, which to my knowledge Jeff didn't mention.

So do AC stations play this one?

"Chasing Pirates" received airplay on a decent amount of AC's after it was initially released, but faded away quickly.

Do any AC stations still play "The Riddle" by Five For Fighting? I remember thinking what an awesome track that was when it was popular in 2007, but never hear it around here anymore, which is a shame.

Five For Fighting is an incredibly talented musician. "Superman" and "100 Years" are the only tracks of his that seem to get recognition these days. He had a couple of other releases that charted OK on AC a couple of years ago, "Chances" and "Slice", but they did not receive a lot of airplay and disappeared rather quickly.

carolinaradio said:
Did "The Promise" by When In Rome ever get any AC airplay? It seems like it would be perfect for the format, even now - it has new wave elements, but is also somewhat of an upbeat ballad (sort of like OMD's "If You Leave").

The only station I ever hear play it is our local Adult Hits station.
KMGL does play this song once in a while. It usually comes up more often on their "Flashback Weekend" and their "Awesome 80's Weekend".

carolinaradio said:
Five For Fighting is an incredibly talented musician. "Superman" and "100 Years" are the only tracks of his that seem to get recognition these days. He had a couple of other releases that charted OK on AC a couple of years ago, "Chances" and "Slice", but they did not receive a lot of airplay and disappeared rather quickly.
KVIL was playing "Chances" heavily during my senior year in high school which was around Fall 2009 to Spring 2010 (except for the holidays), though "Chances" slowly vanishes from KVIL, and by Spring 2011, I don't hear "Chances" on KVIL anymore. I'm not sure if KMGL does play "Chances" much or at all in Fall 2009. I don't think I ever see them play "Chances" much or at all in Spring 2010 via the Yes.com or Mediabase playlist. Thus, KVIL was heavy on Five For Fighting songs including "100 Years" and "Superman" at the time. KMGL hardly play any of them much. I just remember that "100 Years" does shows up on KMGL playlist once in a while and "Superman" rarely shows up on KMGL playlist (or maybe, even not at all) at the time.

KVIL also played "Slice" a lot around Fall 2010 to Spring 2011 (except for the holidays), but they didn't play it as long as they did played "Chances". KMGL actually started playing "Slice" a lot in their 1-6AM part hours around Fall 2010 to Spring 2011 (except for the holidays), but that song never made it out of their part hours and it eventually ended up being vanished from their playlist. I guess KMGL was never a true fan of Five For Fighting at all, KVIL was definitely a true fan of Five For Fighting at the time.

Modern AC KYIS from Oklahoma City was one of the Hot/Modern AC that I know was heavy on Five For Fighting songs at the time including "100 Years", "Superman", and "Chances". Unlike KYIS, Hot AC KDMX in Dallas-Ft. Worth hardly played any Five For Fighting songs at all, in fact they never played any Five For Fighting songs at all except for "100 Years" which they rarely play though (just like KMGL).

I've heard two rarer Janet Jackson songs lately...

"Escapade" - on KSUP 106.3 Juneau, AK a couple of months ago. KSUP is an interesting station. Kind of Hot AC mixed with AC, and everything in between.
"When I Think of You" - on Dial Global AC (KRVY 97.3, KSWW 102.1, etc). I enjoy Dial Global's satellite format more than I do KRWM. A much larger playlist of the '70s-today.

-crainbebo

carolinaradio said:
Did "The Promise" by When In Rome ever get any AC airplay? It seems like it would be perfect for the format, even now - it has new wave elements, but is also somewhat of an upbeat ballad (sort of like OMD's "If You Leave").

The only station I ever hear play it is our local Adult Hits station.

KKCW plays it once a year when they do their 80s weekend.

"The Promise" just got played recently on Dial Global AC.

-crainbebo

Adding another one

Vogue-Madonna (heard somewhat on KXXO 96.1 Olympia). Which other ACs spin "Vogue"?

-crainbebo

KKCW, nearly every day in their "no-more-than-200-of-the-same-stale-old-approved-songs-on-random" playlist

carolinaradio said:
38 Special - Second Chance
Mike & The Mechanics - The Living Years
Cher & Peter Cetera - After All
Rod Stewart - The Motown Song, This Old Heart Of Mine
Survivor - The Search Is Over
Heights - How Do You Talk To An Angel
Don Henley - The End Of The Innocence, Last Worthless Evening
Richard Marx - Endless Summer Nights
Breathe - Hands To Heaven
Madonna - Cherish
Bruce Hornsby - Mandolin Rain

I heard all the above songs on the new station "Soft Hits and Lost Hits" in the past couple of days! They play LOTS of stuff that has gotten lost on AC radio, so this station might be right up your alley - and for anybody who's tired of hearing the same old playlists on AC radio. The focus is on '70s and '80s AC, but they play a bit of '90s, too. (In case you're not familiar with the station, here's the link to listen: http://listen.radionomy.com/soft-hits-and-lost-hits.m3u )

WSPA-FM plays "Vogue"

I thought of another, "The River Of Dreams" by Billy Joel. I actually liked that one more than most of his other hits, but it's unfortunately, like so many other hits from that era, been pretty much forgotten by AC radio. :( Cue up "Piano Man" for the millionth time...

KRWM plays The River of Dreams a lot!

-crainbebo

River of Dreams I believe was Billy Joel's last big hit, peaking at #3 in 1993 (#1 AC chart), and nominated for Song of the Year and Record of The Year. So I guess that's why many AC stations still play it. Stations that don't go much further back than the 90s still can play this Billy Joel song.

And it always helps when you have a Gospel choir backing you up. Just ask Foreigner (I Want to Know What Love Is) and Madonna (Like A Prayer).

Adding another one

Eagles - Love Will Keep Us Alive (1994) I don't hear this on many stations anymore.

-crainbebo

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom