• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

K104 morning show

bucwhyl

Banned
Well it seem like one of my predictions already came true. Buck Wilde is history. They've even taken him off the website. As I figured, his ratings suuuucked!!!... I say let Bay-Bay do mornings. Thoughts?....

In the interest of karma, I hate for anyone to lose their job. But personally, I am glad this move happened. It was a bad fit from jump. Buck Wilde didn't fit the personality of Dallas, didn't fit K104, and wasn't funny.

I still say bring back Skip Cheatam.

I don't see Skip coming back. George Cook is PD now and I can't see Skip taking orders from somebody else when he was in charge all those years.

bucwhyl said:
Well it seem like one of my predictions already came true. Buck Wilde is history. They've even taken him off the website. As I figured, his ratings suuuucked!!!... I say let Bay-Bay do mornings. Thoughts?....

Dear bucwhyl, is it just a coincidence that your username is the same as the radio host that we are discussing?

Did PD George Cook hire Buckwilde?

He went from mornings to overnights? Ouch!! Why didn't they just fire him? Also, they should get rid of those two cackling chicks also...

Tailgater, I'm Bucwhyl. He's Buck Wilde. No relation.

ButtnPushr, I totally agree with everything you said.

tailgater said:
In the interest of karma, I hate for anyone to lose their job. But personally, I am glad this move happened. It was a bad fit from jump. Buck Wilde didn't fit the personality of Dallas, didn't fit K104, and wasn't funny.

I think you mean Skip Murphy & Company!!!! The Metroplex has not had numbers nor been the same since Murphy, Sam Putney, Nanette Lee, "The Wig" and Chris Arnold!!!!!

bucwhyl said:
He's not morning material. K104 needs a morning show relatable to the community! Also Murphy' s numbers were #1 in all age categories. They are Dallas/Ft. Worth, BRING UM BACK!!!

Monty said:
bucwhyl said:
He's not morning material. K104 needs a morning show relatable to the community! Also Murphy' s numbers were #1 in all age categories. They are Dallas/Ft. Worth, BRING UM BACK!!!

Skip Murphy works for Citadel at one of their stations as morning host. Don't think he'll come back to Dallas.

Monty said:
tailgater said:

I think you mean Skip Murphy & Company!!!! The Metroplex has not had numbers nor been the same since Murphy, Sam Putney, Nanette Lee, "The Wig" and Chris Arnold!!!!!

If you bring them back...and thats a BIG IF, they should go on KRNB. I bet they would help out KRNB overall. Or if local radio one mamangement had the nuts, hire them for 94.5. But we know that will never happen.

He was doomed from the start First of all, there was absolutely no chemistry between Buck and the two ladies. It never became his own show. He's just not a humorous type of jock. It seemed like a fight for the mike every morning. The prank calls weren't even funny, and were borrowed from the dude in Alabama. To top it off, he wasn't as "real", entertaining, into the community, or likeable as Rickey Smiley across the street. Dallas has heard much better. To the stations credit, they didn't wait to pull the plug, but now what? Overnights means they still have to pay you or else you'd be gone. They will reach a agreement on the payoff settlement, and he will be free to move on. Whoever they bring in next, will most likely start fresh with an entirely new team. The ladies are too dominant, and would only make a new jock sound like the same old show.

salemjedi54 said:
Monty said:
tailgater said:

If you bring them back...and thats a BIG IF, they should go on KRNB. I bet they would help out KRNB overall. Or if local radio one mamangement had the nuts, hire them for 94.5. But we know that will never happen.

Why KRNB or KSOC? I think Skip Murphy coming back to K-104 would be the best choice since it has the best signal and would be able to win over both the younger and adult demos. It would be a win-win for Service since maybe then K-104 could start actually gaining listeners once again while having a team that is engaged in their local community.

kilamanjero said:
salemjedi54 said:
Monty said:
tailgater said:

Why KRNB or KSOC? I think Skip Murphy coming back to K-104 would be the best choice since it has the best signal and would be able to win over both the younger and adult demos. It would be a win-win for Service since maybe then K-104 could start actually gaining listeners once again while having a team that is engaged in their local community.

I think they are better suited for an Urban AC station. When I worked for V100, I had listeners tell me all the time that they listened to K104's morning show, but after they went off the air they switched to the V. I think the Skip Murphy morning show could not relate to the demo that 104 appeals to.

salemjedi54 said:
kilamanjero said:
salemjedi54 said:
Monty said:
tailgater said:

I think they are better suited for an Urban AC station. When I worked for V100, I had listeners tell me all the time that they listened to K104's morning show, but after they went off the air they switched to the V. I think the Skip Murphy morning show could not relate to the demo that 104 appeals to.

I see all the more reason for George Cook to overhaul middays and even afternoons programming, so adults will continue to listen to K-104 throughout the workday. In my opinion, the splicing of the urban format is the reason why so many heritage stations suck because they either wind up being UACs (which don't appeal to younger adults 24-34 year olds whom are professionals and still enjoy current hip-hop and R&B) or mainstream urban stations (which doesn't appeal to most of them either because there is too much hip-hop and very little R&B). If possible, heritage urban stations should attempt to be full-service since its a win-win for everyone in the end.

I agree with Bucwhyl with putting Bay-Bay in the mornings at least give it a shot. I always felt that he was the best host the station currently had. Personally I think he should be at nights instead of Cat Daddy. Never been impressed with Cat Daddy.

And I agree with you trying2getn. I have always wondered why Bay-Bay wasn't doing nights.

mandella said:
He was doomed from the start First of all, there was absolutely no chemistry between Buck and the two ladies. It never became his own show. He's just not a humorous type of jock. It seemed like a fight for the mike every morning. The prank calls weren't even funny, and were borrowed from the dude in Alabama. To top it off, he wasn't as "real", entertaining, into the community, or likeable as Rickey Smiley across the street. Dallas has heard much better. To the stations credit, they didn't wait to pull the plug, but now what? Overnights means they still have to pay you or else you'd be gone. They will reach a agreement on the payoff settlement, and he will be free to move on. Whoever they bring in next, will most likely start fresh with an entirely new team. The ladies are too dominant, and would only make a new jock sound like the same old show.
I agree with everything you said, except for the last part. If K104 moves Bay-Bay to mornings (as suggested by trying2getn and bucwhyl) with DD and Jade, then I think that would work. Bay-Bay would work because he is local. He knows us, and we know him.

I still say bring back Skip Cheatam, but since that won't work at all, Bay-Bay is the next best thing. The ideal situation would be a reunion of the Skip Murphy and the Family show. But that ain't happening.

tailgater said:
mandella said:
I agree with everything you said, except for the last part. If K104 moves Bay-Bay to mornings (as suggested by trying2getn and bucwhyl) with DD and Jade, then I think that would work. Bay-Bay would work because he is local. He knows us, and we know him.

I still say bring back Skip Cheatam, but since that won't work at all, Bay-Bay is the next best thing. The ideal situation would be a reunion of the Skip Murphy and the Family show. But that ain't happening.
Don't be mistaken, management at Service knows that if they want to be # 1 ever again the only answer is SKIP MURPHY & COMPANY because they represent what the Metroplex is all about. With Skip Murphy in mornings, Bay-Bay in the afternoons & Cat Daddy at night K-104 would reign once again!!!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom