• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

A day in the life of a lamptimer

Pardon the two cents from Tejas, but methinks the goldminers may need an alternate source of entertainment whilst loitering around ye ol' lumberyard. I get the sneaking suspicion that Arizona Gold is going to get cashed in at the pawn shop when this 92-7 translator fires up.

Does the tuning knob still work in that '76 Gremlin, Doc? You may just have to blow the dust off that thing and give it a whirl here pretty soon. Got a collection of wornout 8 tracks I'll gladly send anyone needing to fill the hole, if my gut feeling is right. Best of luck, goldminers. Here's hoping I'm mistaken and Mother Hubbard lovingly continues to cradle the Lumberyard safely in her voluptuous and protective bosom.

92 in a row? Even with oldies, that'd take awhile.

Pardon the two cents from Tejas, but methinks the goldminers may need an alternate source of entertainment whilst loitering around ye ol' lumberyard. I get the sneaking suspicion that Arizona Gold is going to get cashed in at the pawn shop when this 92-7 translator fires up.

Does the tuning knob still work in that '76 Gremlin, Doc? You may just have to blow the dust off that thing and give it a whirl here pretty soon. Got a collection of wornout 8 tracks I'll gladly send anyone needing to fill the hole, if my gut feeling is right. Best of luck, goldminers. Here's hoping I'm mistaken and Mother Hubbard lovingly continues to cradle the Lumberyard safely in her voluptuous and protective bosom.

Two thoughts:

1. I thought that the old KDKB "Rocks Arizona" format was supposed to carry on via HD-2 (where all formats go to die)? Never mind, they blew up the webstream.
2. Those infomercials and word out golden oldies will most likely continue at Lumberyard 1440, as there's money to be had in those infomercials; if the translator is fed via KDKB HD-2 then we will still have 52 watts of pow-power to crank out the cueburned all night long. Bang 545, you're up!

That mind boggling .5 share a while back has Mother Hubbard a quiver! Where else on the dial can you hear wornout oldies AND infomercials AND ASU women's basketball? The music and presentation on Lumberyard 14~Forty has never sounded better (with Gumpdusky as the reference point, just about anything is an improvement) and now they're ready to play in the big leagues with 250 watts from high atop South Mtn!

As far as 92 in a row, that's about 3 hours and 45 minutes of golden greats from the groove yard. To paraphrase Connie Stevens..."it's the ginchiest"!

Pardon the veer off topic (?? As if!) but they're at it again on the "DX and Reception" board: http://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?688353-AM-Frequency-of-the-Week-1440

No mention of our cherished Lumberyard 14~Forty there...yet.

Maybe when Nurse Jeff and I have nothing better to do (most days), we'll drive the 52 watt signal at night in our '76 Gremlin. Without divulging top secret Media Hut intelligence, we can tell you the signal pretty much peters out west of the Squaw Peak/Piestewa/Randy Johnson Freeway at night.

It must be that "funny" station in Riverside that limits the Lumberyard to 52 watts at night. Take KFNY off the big coverage map and it would appear that the Goldminers could gun the Nautel to at least 500 whopping watts at night without scalping other stations on the frequency.

Since Riverside is a news-talker (www.newstalk1440.com) perhaps a case could be made that worn-out oldies make for great music beds under the likes of Beck and Hannity, should KFNY have interference issues. Or a gentle bribe from Mother Hubbard to iHeart could make KFNY go away completely! Unless that would leave the Inland Empire hopelessly deprived of the conservative voices so difficult to find elsewhere on the AM band.

A thorough analysis and solid proposition to eliminate an IHateRadio station from limiting the Goldminers to a measly 52 watts of night time pow-pow-power. Once accomplished, then set your sights on XEFCD in the booming metropolis of Ciudad Camarago, Chihuahua, Meh-Hee-Co. That far from the border blaster with 1kw non-D nights keeps Lumberyard 14-Forty from using their 500 watts Pre Sunrise power a couple of months each winter. Even though Ciudad Camargo is twice the distance El Paso is from Phoenix, everyone knows borders are not meant to be crossed (RF included) without permission. Just look at the size of XEFCD's night time coverage: http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=XEFCD&service=AM&status=F&hours=N YIKES!! To resolve this unfair burden on Mother Hubbard, the Nurse and I will offer to transport the Old Gringo in the back seat of our Gremlin to Camargo in hopes of negotiating an acceptable solution. Please be sure to check back with us sometime in the next 10 years for an update on our progress.

Last edited:
What on urf would make a locutor de Meh-Hee-Co choose "FCD" as the letters that follow the standard "XE" prefix? Was "XEFKD" already taken?

An announcer (that is what a "locutor" is) would not pick call letters in México any more than one would do the same in the US.

XEFCD has no particular negative meaning in México where they speak Spanish; the "F" word is not in the Spanish dictionary.

This is as silly a question as a Mexican national in México asking why the pinche gringos put KULO on a station in Alexandria, MN. Of course, it is a very limited number of mostly monolingual Americans that know that KULO means "A--hole" in Spanish.

A thorough analysis and solid proposition to eliminate an IHateRadio station from limiting the Goldminers to a measly 52 watts of night time pow-pow-power. Once accomplished, then set your sights on XEFCD in the booming metropolis of Ciudad Camarago, Chihuahua, Meh-Hee-Co. That far from the border blaster with 1kw non-D nights keeps Lumberyard 14-Forty from using their 500 watts Pre Sunrise power a couple of months each winter. Even though Ciudad Camargo is twice the distance El Paso is from Phoenix, everyone knows borders are not meant to be crossed (RF included) without permission. Just look at the size of XEFCD's night time coverage: http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=XEFCD&service=AM&status=F&hours=N YIKES!! To resolve this unfair burden on Mother Hubbard, the Nurse and I will offer to transport the Old Gringo in the back seat of our Gremlin to Camargo in hopes of negotiating an acceptable solution. Please be sure to check back with us sometime in the next 10 years for an update on our progress.

I noticed that the radio-locator pattern shows the X station as not covering anything. Perhaps the radio-locator guy in the little signal strength car (don't they those tiny maps the same way Google does streets?) was shot by a card-carrying cartel commander carrying a canon of considerable calibre and thus the measurement was done post mortem from somewhere deep in the Sierra Madres....

Somewhere in the reality zone, we are reminded that XEFCD is one of the hundreds of Mexican AMs that moved to FM and is no longer on 1440. Since proving that something does not exist is harder than proving something that does exist is on 1440, it will likely take a bit more than 10 years to resolve this. Maybe 25.

I don't do Gremlins, Corvairs or Pintos.

I noticed that the radio-locator pattern shows the X station as not covering anything. Perhaps the radio-locator guy in the little signal strength car (don't they those tiny maps the same way Google does streets?) was shot by a card-carrying cartel commander carrying a canon of considerable calibre and thus the measurement was done post mortem from somewhere deep in the Sierra Madres....

Somewhere in the reality zone, we are reminded that XEFCD is one of the hundreds of Mexican AMs that moved to FM and is no longer on 1440. Since proving that something does not exist is harder than proving something that does exist is on 1440, it will likely take a bit more than 10 years to resolve this. Maybe 25.

It might be in the (woefully awful at Mexico) FCC database, but with the IFT I can't even find an XEFCD-AM (or an XHFCD-FM). Cd. Camargo Chih. has two stations — both are FMs, and the one that was once an AM, XHEOH-FM, was XEOH-AM in its past life (not even on the frequency).

The only 1440s in Mexico now are Guadalajara and Mexico City — you know, places where you just can't take all the AMs and plunk them down in the FM band.

As to how Mexican calls are made, many AMs got sequential calls. (XEOH is an example.) FMs might be taken from a locality, and it might not be obvious. XHEPR in Ciudad Juárez is named for El PoRvenir, Chih. — not far away. When AMs migrated to FM, their calls were changed. Some AMs had the E exchanged for an H (for instance, XEVSD for XHVSD - that used to be on 1440). On some, an E was added (XHEOH) to avoid duplication of callsigns. On a few, they had to really tamper with the callsign. XENA became XHNAQ (Q for Querétaro). XEFC became XHFCY — the Y for Yucatán.

I can't find anything. And I know how to do Mexican radio and TV research. It's not even referenced in the DOF, for crying out loud — their federal register, a goldmine for this stuff!

Last edited:
It might be in the (woefully awful at Mexico) FCC database, but with the IFT I can't even find an XEFCD-AM (or an XHFCD-FM). Cd. Camargo Chih. has two stations — both are FMs, and the one that was once an AM, XHEOH-FM, was XEOH-AM in its past life (not even on the frequency).

The only 1440s in Mexico now are Guadalajara and Mexico City — you know, places where you just can't take all the AMs and plunk them down in the FM band.

As to how Mexican calls are made, many AMs got sequential calls. (XEOH is an example.) FMs might be taken from a locality, and it might not be obvious. XHEPR in Ciudad Juárez is named for El PoRvenir, Chih. — not far away. When AMs migrated to FM, their calls were changed. Some AMs had the E exchanged for an H (for instance, XEVSD for XHVSD - that used to be on 1440). On some, an E was added (XHEOH) to avoid duplication of callsigns. On a few, they had to really tamper with the callsign. XENA became XHNAQ (Q for Querétaro). XEFC became XHFCY — the Y for Yucatán.

I can't find anything. And I know how to do Mexican radio and TV research. It's not even referenced in the DOF, for crying out loud — their federal register, a goldmine for this stuff!

I don't see XEFCD anywhere in all my back issues of Medios Publicitarios Mexicanos, either.

Mexico had a habit of putting dummy place holders in the database it shared with the FCC. Typically, they appeared as XENVA for "nueva" meaning an allocation had been made for a future station.

Maybe FCD is an abbreviation for a frequencia that is on hold or some such. Or it may be a joke on us all.

This reminds me of a famous ham radio hoax. Many hams enjoy the challenge of contacting other hams far away to the point that groups will sometimes travel to places that have no hams, like remote Pacific or Atlantic islands. In one case, a notice was sent out that station 5U4GB in the Nibi Nibi Islands was to be activated to allow hams to log that island nation. Only thing is... no Nibi Nibi Islands, and a 5U4GB is a rectifier tube used in radio power supplies. Lots of gullible hams who presumably had no atlas or globe fell for it. (The report is in the March, 1959 issue of Popular Electronics to be found at the website below...)

That's your inner Grant Hudson, CKLW 20-20 News being channeled :)

I don't do Gremlins, Corvairs or Pintos.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom