• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Favorite Songs You Never Hear On Radio Anymore

Re: Jon Lord of Deep Purple passed away July 16, 2012

TheRover said:
TheRover said:
Back in the day, before "Made In Japan" let loose Deep Purple's "Smoke On The Water".... I actually got to hear "LAZY" played on ROCK Radio ! ! ! ;D

It would be nice to hear "Lazy" played on the radio tonight, because Jon Lord passed away yesterday.

http://jonlord.org/2012/07/16/jon-lord-has-sadly-passed-away/

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/jon-lord-1941-2012/

100.7 WZLX/Boston played "Lazy" during the 12PM hour that Tuesday, and also played a block of Deep Purple at 8PM, ("Perfect Strangers," "Highway Star," and the live version of "Smoke On the Water." Several other classic rockers I checked didn't do much...

Jacko

Re: Jon Lord of Deep Purple passed away July 16, 2012

Jacko said:
100.7 WZLX/Boston played "Lazy" during the 12PM hour that Tuesday, and also played a block of Deep Purple at 8PM, ("Perfect Strangers," "Highway Star," and the live version of "Smoke On the Water." Several other classic rockers I checked didn't do much...

Jacko

I called the local Classic Rock station that Tuesday evening, and the DJ on duty said he had not heard of Jon's passing. I mentioned "Lazy", but I do not know if he got to play that, or one of DP's well known hits.

Good selection for 100.7 WZLX/Boston.;D Someone mentioned that in Russia, that Jon's death was one of the headline stories that evening on TV, along side what was gong on in Syria.

TheRover said:
ALICE IN CHAINS and "Them Bones"

But I don't recall radio ever playing it....

They don't now. Cause, you know.... they have to play other stuff.

They did paid for research to know what is cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTuD8k3JvxQ

KDKB in Phoenix plays it every now and then.

The live version of "I just Want to Make Love to You," Foghat
"You're No Good," Van Halen
"I Live for the Weekend" and "Allied Forces," Triumph
Anything by UFO

Apologies for any duplications from this seven-year thread (which tells me that real rock fans inhabit here.....)

Axe - "Rock & Roll Party in the Streets"
David Bowie - "TVC 15"
Chicago - "Dialogue"
Eric Clapton - "Mainline Florida"
Cobra - "Only You Can Rock Me" (featuring Jimi Jamison)
Alice Cooper - "Go to Hell"
Cream - "SWLABR"
CCR - "Run Through the Jungle"
C S & N - "Marrakesh Express"
The Doors - "Hyacinth House", "Gloria" (from Alive, She Cried), "Twentieth Century Fox"
The Fixx - "One Thing Leads to Another", "Stand or Fall", "Red Skies", "Saved by Zero"
J. Geils - "Musta Got Lost" (Live from "Blow Your Face Out) w/Peter's legendary spoken intro
Genesis - "Abacab", "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway"
Sammy Hagar - "Three Lock Box"
Jimi Hendrix - "Red House"
INXS "The One Thing"
Elton John - "The Bitch is Back"
Journey - "Escape"
The Kinks - "Low Budget"
Led Zeppelin - "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp" (extra points if you can pronounce the title correctly)
Little Feat - "Willin'", "Fat Man in the Bathtub", "Oh Atlanta", "Feets Don't Fail Me Now"
Point Blank - "Nicole"
Queen - "Seven Seas of Rhye"
Rush - "A Passage to Bangkok"
Santana - "Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen"
Steely Dan - "Kid Charlemagne", "Bodhisattva"
Styx - "Suite Madame Blue"
Pat Travers Band - "Boom Boom (Out Go the Lights)"
Johnny Van Zant - "Brickyard Road"
Frank Zappa - "Joe's Garage"
Warren Zevon - "Excitable Boy", "Lawyers, Guns & Money"

BostonRandy said:
Apologies for any duplications from this seven-year thread (which tells me that real rock fans inhabit here.....)

Sometimes this is the only Santana song I hear on the radio.

The rest, however, are definitely underplayed. Especially bands like Little Feat which are pretty much MIA on classic rock radio.

dtuba said:
BostonRandy said:

The rest, however, are definitely underplayed. Especially bands like Little Feat which are pretty much MIA on classic rock radio.

I listed the song because most stations only spin "Black Magic Woman" w/o playing "Gypsy Queen".

BostonRandy said:
dtuba said:
BostonRandy said:

I listed the song because most stations only spin "Black Magic Woman" w/o playing "Gypsy Queen".

And, almost on cue, classic hits WXCH - Columbus, IN (Mojo 102.9) played "Black Magic Woman" w/o "Gypsy Queen" Saturday morning at 5:25AM.

Sweet: Fox on the Run
Ram Jam: Black Betty (heard this one for the first time in years on John
Boy and Billy)
Brownsville Station?-Martian Boogie
ABBA-You hear Dancing Queen and Waterloo, but seldom hear I do I do I do, Does your mother know, and several others
Paul McCartney-Several big hits from his "wings" days of the 70's seldom get played.
There are tons of big top 40 songs from the 70's that even the oldies stations won't touch. Paul Davis-Ride em cowboy, Smokie-livin next door to alice and Cinderella (don't remember the group)

"The Summer Knights Radio Show" on WRSG played "Fox on the Run," "Black Betty," "Voulez-Vous by Abba (plus several others), along with "Livin' Next Door to Alice"-we LOVE the freedom to play what we want, when we want. Non-coms are the future for true variety in music. We've had people move in from larger metro areas ala' "Green Acres" and tell us that they never heard a station like this where they came from, and they are truly appreciative. We have referred to ourselves lovingly as "Gump Radio-You never know what you're gonna get!"

BostonRandy said:

Axe - "Rock & Roll Party in the Streets"
David Bowie - "TVC 15"
Chicago - "Dialogue"
Eric Clapton - "Mainline Florida"
Cobra - "Only You Can Rock Me" (featuring Jimi Jamison)
Alice Cooper - "Go to Hell"
Cream - "SWLABR"
The Doors - "Hyacinth House", "Gloria" (from Alive, She Cried), "Twentieth Century Fox"
The Fixx - "One Thing Leads to Another", "Stand or Fall", "Red Skies", "Saved by Zero"
J. Geils - "Musta Got Lost" (Live from "Blow Your Face Out) w/Peter's legendary spoken intro
Genesis - "Abacab", "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway"
Sammy Hagar - "Three Lock Box"
Jimi Hendrix - "Red House"
INXS "The One Thing"
Elton John - "The Bitch is Back"
Journey - "Escape"
The Kinks - "Low Budget"
Led Zeppelin - "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp" (extra points if you can pronounce the title correctly)
Little Feat - "Willin'", "Fat Man in the Bathtub", "Oh Atlanta", "Feets Don't Fail Me Now"
Point Blank - "Nicole"
Queen - "Seven Seas of Rhye"
Rush - "A Passage to Bangkok"
Styx - "Suite Madame Blue"
Pat Travers Band - "Boom Boom (Out Go the Lights)"
Johnny Van Zant - "Brickyard Road"
Frank Zappa - "Joe's Garage"

Of the above mentioned songs, maybe Classic Rock Radio has forgotten them, but the following (from the above list) are still played by rock stations in the Adult Alternative format (specifically stations like WXPK, WXRV [Andover/Boston], and KFOG.

David Bowie - "TVC 15"
Cream - "SWLABR"
Genesis - "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway"
INXS "The One Thing"
The Kinks - "Low Budget"
(together of course and burned beyond recognition)
(WXPK plays the uncensored version of the latter)

Greg Goodfellow said:
"The Summer Knights Radio Show" on WRSG played "Fox on the Run," "Black Betty," "Voulez-Vous by Abba (plus several others), along with "Livin' Next Door to Alice"-we LOVE the freedom to play what we want, when we want. Non-coms are the future for true variety in music. We've had people move in from larger metro areas ala' "Green Acres" and tell us that they never heard a station like this where they came from, and they are truly appreciative. We have referred to ourselves lovingly as "Gump Radio-You never know what you're gonna get!"
You may be blazing a new trail for future programmers. Thanks for showing some guts. Keep up the good work!

Re: BostonRandy's mention of Little Feat's Willin'...

Excellent song because it dates back to a generation ripe with thoughtful songwriting, MIA in much of today's hastily engineered "pop" music. I think Linda Rondstadt nailed Willin's deep feelings even more effectively than Little Feat, yet I liked both versions. Still, I don't recall Willin getting much airplay at all, even in the '70s, save for L.R.'s copy, and that was due mostly to DJ's navigating her popular Heart Like A Wheel LP.

And I guess Willin's appeal to me also had something to due with me living at the time in "Tucumcari", a town mentioned in the song's hook phrase.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom