• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Yankee playoff baseball on WFAN and ESPN NY

With WFAN being the flagship of the Yankees, can they force ESPN NY not to cover the games during the playoffs? Ratings wise I would assume that WFAN is eating ESPN's lunch.

With WFAN being the flagship of the Yankees, can they force ESPN NY not to cover the games during the playoffs? Ratings wise I would assume that WFAN is eating ESPN's lunch.

By "cover" do you mean sending reporters to the games for interviews, updates and the like or merely carrying the ESPN Radio national feed of the games? As you've probably heard here in Connecticut, WUCS has been using the Yankees feed, since it's on the Yankees network. The ESPN feed is nowhere to be found. During last year's ALCS, when WTIC had the Red Sox feed, did WUCS carry the ESPN broadcast or talk?

By "cover" do you mean sending reporters to the games for interviews, updates and the like or merely carrying the ESPN Radio national feed of the games? As you've probably heard here in Connecticut, WUCS has been using the Yankees feed, since it's on the Yankees network. The ESPN feed is nowhere to be found. During last year's ALCS, when WTIC had the Red Sox feed, did WUCS carry the ESPN broadcast or talk?
By cover I mean air the playoff games with the national broadcast. I don't think WUCS carried the Red Sox games until the World Series. Of course by that point WTIC had to use the national feed per league rule.

The difference is WFAN is the flagship in their home market, Do they have any power to block ESPN Radio in their territory.

I can't think of any sport where the national broadcast is blacked out in the team's home market.

For example, a few years back there was an on-air tussle between WSCR 670, the Cubs' flagship, and WMVP 1000, the ESPN Radio affiliate. Apparently WMVP was able to score solid ratings for their national broadcasts of the Cubs for their World Series season in '16, to the chagrin of some host on WSCR.

I can't think of any sport where the national broadcast is blacked out in the team's home market.

For example, a few years back there was an on-air tussle between WSCR 670, the Cubs' flagship, and WMVP 1000, the ESPN Radio affiliate. Apparently WMVP was able to score solid ratings for their national broadcasts of the Cubs for their World Series season in '16, to the chagrin of some host on WSCR.

In Boston, the Red Sox flagship, WEEI-FM, and ESPN affiliate, WEEI(AM), are co-owned. I wonder if the national feed is airing on the barely-listened-to AM (rating is usually a "participation trophy" fake rating of 0.1) or if Entercom has said no thanks to ESPN because it doesn't want to lose a single set of ears in its FM audience. Anyone up Boston way know for sure?

Here in Houston the Astros flagship is KBME SportsTalk 790. However format rival KFNC “ESPN 97-5” has run the national feed for all the Astros playoff games.

(Watching the game as I post this.)

Correction to previous post of mine. Should have put all the wondering about the two WEEIs in the past tense, since, of course, the Red Sox are not in this year's ALCS.

MLB has given ESPN free reign the last several years, both on Radio and TV. They stream all the games they cover, both Sunday nighs and during the week, for free on their app (and some affiliates) The same games MLB still charges for (you just have to pay to hear the local broadcasts out of market). They no longer blackout on the TV side - Dodger fans not in a Spectrum market got to see a few more games when the team played on Monday or Wednesday nights on ESPN as an example there.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom