• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

yahoo sport radio?

M

mrtejano

On KJOJ 880 AM Did Aleluya sale? Or just leasing the station to someone?

Well, it's actually KJOZ, not KJOJ. Liberman wouldn't allow the call to stay on 880 after it was sold to Daij Media.

On to your point. What the hell? Did someone hit the wrong switch?

Edit to add: KJOZ is not simulcasting KGOW. This sounds like the national feed of Y!SR, not the localized version we normally get on 1560. There's been no mention of The Game at all. This is peculiar indeed, and thanks for posting about this Mr. Tejano. It's been a long, long time since I've heard English programming on Conroe's 880.

Further edit: 1560 is airing the Dynamo/DC United Game, 880 is airing the normal Y!SR weekend programming. That is why they are not in simulcast. Wonder if some deal has been made between Gow and Daij to air Y!SR programming on 880 when there's a schedule conflict on 1560? This is certainly something new. Checked 980, it's normal Aleluya programming, then checked 1380 and it's actually on and has Aleluya programming as well. Signal for KRCM is quite a bit weaker than the last time I ran across it on my dial.

Last edited:
remember, 103.3 is KJOJ-FM....(and how many people remember what it means or where it started??)...surprised Liberman did not just change the FM call (strange for a Jew to hold a callsign that implies Jesus......

I certainly do. 880 was KJOJ first, having taken the call in the mid 80s. It was still partnered with its original FM sister (and the original KJOJ-FM in these parts) 106-9. The JOJ calls stood for "Joy of Jesus", but of course it was also affectionately known as the "Joke of Jimmy" after his tearful "I have sinned" speech.

Liberman is certainly not known for his call switching. KQQK hasn't been "kah cu cu kah" or the Tejano music it was associated with in ages. KTJM still sports the call it was given in 1999's debut of "The Jam", and KEYH hasn't been the "Key to Houston" since I was a teenager. Only reason 1230 changed was because Jesse Dunn paid to file for the KCOH calls to be moved off of 1430 and follow the format to 1230. If ever something happens to the KCOH programming we all know, the calls will probably sit there for years while some genre of Spanish language music broadcasts across the signal.

KJOZ has gone from Yahoo! Sports Radio programming yesterday and last night, to now airing Gospel music as of a 9:00 check this morning. I'm not sure if Daij has started brokering 880 since they now have 1590 for regular Aleluya programming or what. The other Aleluya outfits are standard fare, but this one is all over the road.

I interview with Bert Goldman (former ABC VP of Engineering) for the CE job at YSR......but the old CC lie was still running deep and they would NOT return my calls after 2 weeks.....Yet owner of GOW and I are friends on FB and LinkedIn....time to reapproach him....(Bert is also the one who stupidly filed on KSTAR claiming KROY was causing interference in the Woodlands...outside KSTAR's 60dbu protected contour!!! DUH!!)..the CE of KSTAR used to be an engineer in the Beaumont area...and has a crappy reputation from what others have told me....so you can reach your own conclusions there....Errol Coker who BUILT 880's site and the original 103.5 (AS WELL as the current KTRH transmitter site AND is an inductee to the TX Radio Hall of Fame and a former BOSS of mine at Libermans...I am proud to have worked with/for Errol..and I LEARNED a lot from that man!!! His wife Mary is still doing sales at 99.7 and asked me to look after Errol because his health was not the best in the world...and one morning he walked in FLUSHed and the TV guys and I convinced him to go to the hospital...Memorial west was right down I 10 at the time when we were on Kirkwood.....ERROL drove HIMSELF back to his doctor in Conroe...who had him sent via ambulance to NW and the next day they put TWO stents in his heart....thats dedication to the job!!!) which moved to 103.7, had nothing good to say about Amato's kids running the show....and the CE is in the same league it seems...

It is now 12:40 and they did a ID as KJOZ and the lady spoke so fast I couldn't understand what she said but it ended with HIS VOICE.

No, it was NOT an "ID" They can call themselves anything they want to except during the LEGAL ID....IDs are only legal at the TOH or as close to it within a break of programming where possible.(A lot of stations used to do :50 for the Legal ID until the FCC started saying NO, you CAN do it the TOH...the :50 break AINT cutting it!! MIX 96.5 and others were BIG abusers of it.....(because they had singing jingles across the top of the Hour without the callsign....)....that crap ended real quick.....

880 was KJOJ first, having taken the call in the mid 80s. It was still partnered with its original FM sister (and the original KJOJ-FM in these parts) 106-9. The JOJ calls stood for "Joy of Jesus", but of course it was also affectionately known as the "Joke of Jimmy" after his tearful "I have sinned" speech.

The KJOJ call was first on 106.9 in the 1980's, under the Swaggart ownership. Around 1989 the old KGLF 103.3 in Freeport was purchased and became a simulcast to provide coverage of the southern end of the Houston market. At the end of 1990 106.9 was separated from the simulcast and was flipped to New Age/Smooth Jazz KJZS (and of course has had several different formats since then) and the KJOJ call was moved to 103.3. To restore the northern coverage of the KJOJ-FM religious programming KIKR 880 was purchased in order to simulcast with 103.3, and the call was changed to KJOJ, which was kept until the sale to DAIJ.

The 103.3 signal became a simulcast of 98.5 in late 1995, when the old KHYS was "Smooth FM." The simulcast between those two frequencies remains to this day.

You are right, Frog. 106.9 was first. Those old memories are really starting to fade.

Ok, KJOZ DOES have a legal ID, as I just heard it at 2:00pm. It goes, "880 KJOZ" spoken by a female voice, then an echo of "880 KJOZ" spoken by a male voice, then back to the female's voice "Conroe, Houston". "Aggressive news, talk and sports, 880 KJOZ."

Folks, I think we have another brokered. So far, it has been all in English at every check.

The KJOJ call was first on 106.9 in the 1980's, under the Swaggart ownership. Around 1989 the old KGLF 103.3 in Freeport was purchased and became a simulcast to provide coverage of the southern end of the Houston market. At the end of 1990 106.9 was separated from the simulcast and was flipped to New Age/Smooth Jazz KJZS (and of course has had several different formats since then) and the KJOJ call was moved to 103.3. To restore the northern coverage of the KJOJ-FM religious programming KIKR 880 was purchased in order to simulcast with 103.3, and the call was changed to KJOJ, which was kept until the sale to DAIJ.

The 103.3 signal became a simulcast of 98.5 in late 1995, when the old KHYS was "Smooth FM." The simulcast between those two frequencies remains to this day.

DING DING DING!!! We have a winner!!! The original 106.9 tower was in Grangerland....a 700ft tower with a TALL 100ft pole on top for the FM antenna...(I WOULDNT climb up it)....when I was at GSU, I tried calling to inquire about putting a ham rptr on it...and was told "ARE YOU A BELIEVER OF JIMMY SWAGGART??"....AHHH NO, I was a laid back Catholic boy....not a "Holy Roller"...and especially one who COULD keep his penis in his pants (thank you very much)....HOWEVER, when US Radio owned the station and got the CP for the Splendora 2000ft monster, they sent a letter to GSU asking if we wanted to put some of our company gear on it...my boss (not a ham), Morris, walked into the shop with the letter and said "thought YOU might be interested in this"...OH HELL YEAH!!

So I called the Director of Engineering in Florida...and told him who I was and asked about a ham rptr..."SURE!!" came the answer back..NOT a problem!!........then I said well I am ******.....to which he replied "WELL ******, I'm (his callsign)" and then said "My wife and kids are in the car waiting for me so we can go to the Orlando hamfest!" OOOOPS!! "Call me back next week and lets talk more..its gonna be a while before that tower goes up!".........

Well, US Radio/Regan Henry (the Philly lawyer who owned US Radio) had balloon notes come due on his 47 stations across the US and they promptly sold out.....106.9 and the CP went to Salem...who built the tower....later they swapped 106.9 with COX for a signal in Atlanta....but they still owned the tower.....and by then I had moved to Dallas...but still had the rptr on in Conroe (still on the now Entergy M/W tower in North Conroe!! Yep, I got to keep my keys...my boss at GSU/Entergy told me "You're tooo damn honest!!! You had chances to rip off the company for 14 years!"....I walked out of Entergy with over $5000 of equipment (lowband stuff) we werent using anymore...BUT SAIC is now running the telecom dept (and took away my phone extn and VM that WAS still active until 2008!)...and my packet gear and rptr are off the tower...though the antenna is still there and I need to get it before anything else happens! :)...that DB420 is worth $600!!

Only reason 1230 changed was because Jesse Dunn paid to file for the KCOH calls to be moved off of 1430 and follow the format to 1230. If ever something happens to the KCOH programming we all know, the calls will probably sit there for years while some genre of Spanish language music broadcasts across the signal.

From what I hear, Jesse Dunn is leasing the station from DAIJ.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom