• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

XM 60's, 70's, and 80's

These stations suck. And I didn't even bother saying XM 50's. They play the same songs over and over as we play some of these stations at work. And what else sucks about these XM stations is the crap between songs. No the news from this day in 1972 is fine. I mean other junk thats just annoying. Such as on the 70's channel XM had something about the World Trade Center in some silly joke. Just play music and have the dj talk every so often.

Funny thing is that an i-pod plays the same songs over and over too! What's a poor listener to do? Me I listen to more than just one channel on XM radio. Just change the channel once in a while and enjoy the diversity of music available. If all I did was lister to on decade of music I'd go crazy! Turn on channel 52 The Verge it is terrific for new music.

These stations suck?? Ok, I suppose you prefer 15 minutes of commercials, plus a bunch of idiot DJ's talking to hear themselves or some vain "cheap" contest.....

Personally, I love the 80s channel...listen a lot and I STILL hear songs that I haven't heard in the entire time I've had XM (now 16 months)

You might try XM 49 Big Tracks or even Fred on 44

my 2 cents

Well I for one love the 50's channel. They play a very wide range of tunes from early rock "n" roll to the great pop standards. When I tire of that I just go to another channel.

Well if its 80s music you want on XM,"Big Tracks" is just as good as CLUB977!! (Big Tracks: Mid 70s and 80s music (Unfortunetly also early 90s))

Club977 -- 80s music -- www.club977.com

We have XM in one car and Sirius in another.

Comparing the two 80s stations, I'd say I like the Sirius Big 80s better.

The XM 80s channel, to my taste, plays too many 80s songs that are still hear on commercial FM Soft Rock stations.

Sirius seems to capture the pop music of the decade better.

Just one person's opinion. Your results may vary.

I disagree. I listen to 70s on 7 and an 80s on 8 a lot. I love the old American Top 40 replays on those two channels.

I do wish they were a bit more "hit based" than they are. There are too many songs that never hit the top 10 played that I'm not a fan of. But the fact that I can hear so much good music from back in the day is a huge plus.

radiophiler said:
The XM 80s channel, to my taste, plays too many 80s songs that are still hear on commercial FM Soft Rock stations.
I agree......The 80s channel suck pond water!!

But "Big Tracks" ownz all!!!

tested said:
I do wish they were a bit more "hit based" than they are. There are too many songs that never hit the top 10 played that I'm not a fan of. But the fact that I can hear so much good music from back in the day is a huge plus.

Agreed. The decades channels should be reserved for hit music--songs that both topped the charts and stood the test of time. The deeper stuff should be reserved for spotlight segments. 80s on 8 has really softened up over the years I've had XM (since 2001), and I wish they'd go back to mainly playing a complete 360 of mainstream musical styles that topped the top 40 charts in the 80s. The content using this formula alone would generate a no repeat playlist for about a week. The same with the 90s on 9. The station used to have a pulse. Now, it seems like they play a lot of softer music that I never heard on CHR back in the 90s...and the CHR where I grew up embraced pop, rock, dance, and hip-hop.

Granted, XM overall is known for playing deeper playlists (and I love them for it), but the decade channels should stick with the hits and bring back the fun of their respective decade...like it was a year or two ago.

I understand everyone's point, but I think the great thing about XM is the fact that the decades channels play lots of tunes that may have been played, but were not necessarily big hits. I guess if we just wanted to hear the same old 500 song playlist we would stick to FM. I listen to 50 60 70 80 and several others, but really enjoy the broad playlists, ( as compared to regular radio), and the segments that are included.

The XM channels I listen to and that includes generous helpings of 80s on 8, are very deep in music selection. I like that, presenting a the sound of radio in those decades by the songs, not just hits. In essence this is a presentation of what radio was like then. To play just hits would just help distort the message of these decade formats, I mean who wants a suscriber service that offers only the songs that you can hear on regualr commercial stations?

The one thing that Sirius has XM beat on, so far, is personality in the programming. In particular regards, the way each service presents its 80s formats.
Sirrius has the best 80s pop culture anchors in the remaining orgional MTV VJs. XM has nothing, outside AT Top 40 reruns.

XM has the 80s format down music wise, they still have to deliver on the jocks. Remember 80s radio had DJs as coner stone and to be a successfuel 80s station XM will have deliver here.

bening in radio for over 25 years i listen to the decades not for the jocks more or less but for the good music they are all playing from the big hits to bubbling under the top forty ,guys keep up the good work, i hear songs that u never hear on fm ......... ;D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom