• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WYLA-LP in Charleston gets the axe

It is sort of funny how print glorifies stations that have but a handful of listeners. I'm not saying there's not room for such a format on radio but popular is not just known among a circle of friends. If gather the official demise reasoning is the station does not fit with the library's mission. I suspect that the true reason was the station wasn't pulling in enough to pay for itself and the board decided it was not worthy of continued funding. Likely there was questioning as to why the library was paying for the station. Perhaps if it had been a different entity, it would still be around but who knows.

My first time on the air was a community station where you could do anything that was not done on any of the other stations in town. Even with about 1.5 million in their listening area, they couldn't generate enough support to pay the bills: a mere $9,000 a month. One day the equipment was repossessed. Even when the radio dial had fewer choices and there were not cell phones or computers, a station reaching so many never came close to the funding they needed because they simply did not reach enough people with what they wanted to hear. And yes, they were called 'vital', 'popular', and such. They weren't. Met lots of great people and it was great fun but almost everyone never heard of the station.

I tell as many who will hear me that a LPFM that reaches 1% of radio listeners will most likely not be sustainable.

The station wasn't "pulling in" anything - the library insisted on no fundraising. The station was caught in a library management change that wanted an NPR-type station while only providing a one person staff.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom