• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WYCD's audio sounds like crap

Why is it that nearly every spring, 99.5's processing takes a turn for the worse that sometimes lasts a couple months?

The high end response is completely squashed right now. It's as if there is a thick blanket covering my speakers.

Also, the audio sounds even worse during syndicated programming, including the nighttime show that originates from Detroit.

With 93.1 sounding much better programming wise these days, it would not surprise me at all if 93.1 closes in or even defeats 99.5 in key demos by late spring or early summer. I do like 99.5's music a bit better, but 93.1 has better air talent, much better sounding audio (for the moment), and less clutter between songs other than the boring evening show.

It was intended to be a rhetorical question, but I do agree with you it is unlikely that question will be answered in this forum.

It's not a big enough concern of mine to compel me to try reaching out to station personnel; I simply flip the station.

Last edited:
Why is it that nearly every spring, 99.5's processing takes a turn for the worse that sometimes lasts a couple months?
I may be completely wrong but this may be a phenomenon called tropospheric ducting, which the atmosphere affects the quality of an FM signal.

Doesn't that generally affect signal strength and cause distant signals to override local signals?

I've noticed no such issues. Signal strength of WYCD is same as usual, and I've noticed no distant stations invading my radio dial. The usual suspects during ducting events are nowhere to be found. I live 5 to 10 miles from nearly all Detroit FM station towers, so it would take an exceptionally strong ducting event to create noticeable issues for me.

I do know WYCD commonly experiences signal issues near Lake Erie when DX-ing conditions are favorable thanks to a co-channel station in Cleveland. Ironically, Detroit's other country station (93.1) experiences similar issues in the same location.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom