• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WWSM Signing Off AM 1510 Signal on July 31

WWSM 1510 AM Annville-Cleona is reading an announcement that the AM station will leave the air at the end of July. They are saying they will continue now 24 hours a day on the internet only. I noticed they fixed their internet player recently - it previously was spotty or off the air much of the time. It sounds like they will continue with classic country, bluegrass, etc. I'd assume evening-overnights will come from 'Real Country'. The station always had a poor daytime only signal to the south, better along I-78. I'm not sure their audience would find or switch to internet listening. Al Shade is likely among the oldest persons doing a regular radio show since 1952 (and still performing) at age 95!

Was the station ever posted for sale? I could imagine someone could get the station and license on the cheap while searching for an FM translator to run 24x7. Maybe a student-run station for LVC, if they'd want to donate it ?

Maybe a student-run station for LVC, if they'd want to donate it ?
The trend, for 10+ years, has been for colleges to sell their radio stations, not acquire new ones.

It appears that the licensee of WWSM did not apply for renewal, so the license is now expired as of Aug. 1st, and there is nothing to sell or donate.

Was the station ever posted for sale? I could imagine someone could get the station and license on the cheap while searching for an FM translator to run 24x7. Maybe a student-run station for LVC, if they'd want to donate it ?

why does everyone thing dilapidated AMs need to be donated to schools?
they dont qwant the legal, technical and financial responsibiltiy of running a multi tower AM.

Plus, an FM translator would cost more then its probably worth in this situation

why does everyone thing dilapidated AMs need to be donated to schools?
It seems to be a "thing" among certain posters here, not sure why, kind of like the persistent notion that station owners are constantly fretting over their power bills. SiriusXM has a channel called SLAM Radio, programmed by students from somewhere in Florida. It's as amateurish as you might expect it to be, and is only carried because the merger of Sirius and XM into a satellite radio monopoly could only go forward if the merged company agreed to offer bandwidth to a number of "qualified" minority broadcasting interests. One went to the Latter Day Saints church, a couple went to Howard University, and yes, one went to a high school district. All of them are carried in glorious mono and SXM doesn't care if anyone listens. So why would anyone listen to an AM station handed over to a school district?

It seems to be a "thing" among certain posters here, not sure why, kind of like the persistent notion that station owners are constantly fretting over their power bills. SiriusXM has a channel called SLAM Radio, programmed by students from somewhere in Florida. It's as amateurish as you might expect it to be, and is only carried because the merger of Sirius and XM into a satellite radio monopoly could only go forward if the merged company agreed to offer bandwidth to a number of "qualified" minority broadcasting interests. One went to the Latter Day Saints church, a couple went to Howard University, and yes, one went to a high school district. All of them are carried in glorious mono and SXM doesn't care if anyone listens. So why would anyone listen to an AM station handed over to a school district?

Theres one particular poster on Fb whos got a boner for donating dilapidated ams to schools, despite many of us tellign him why its not a good idea..... and why.... multiple times. and has blocked some of us after being told hes wrong

I remember circa 20 years ago when they had a billboard on I-78 that simply said in big capital letters "TRUCKERS 1510 COUNTRY". Back then it was a local format, probably all voice-tracked, called "Your Country Friend".

So far I can't find any FCC record of them filing a silent STA or turning in the license.

Oooh. i got an 8 year old car with broken timing belt and bent valves. I'm making my lit f schools that want me to donate it to them as is. I just know it will be a long list to choose from! Oh yes, how about this AM daytimer. Talk nicely to me and I might toss it in with the car.

Oooh. i got an 8 year old car with broken timing belt and bent valves. I'm making my lit f schools that want me to donate it to them as is. I just know it will be a long list to choose from! Oh yes, how about this AM daytimer. Talk nicely to me and I might toss it in with the car.

You just know some school is gonna want the dilapidated old car as much as they want a multi tower AM Daytimer

So far I can't find any FCC record of them filing a silent STA or turning in the license.
No need to file an STA for a license that is no longer valid.

The license expired at the end of July. It is, therefore, by definition not valid.

Stations have certainly gotten a reprieve for late filing of a renewal application, but there is no statutory "grace period" in the AM & FM broadcast bands. There is such a period for Ham radio operators who let their license lapse.

The owner, a local country singer who also runs a sheepskin store, never seemed to put much effort into the station. The WWSM website is way out of date, still lists the 1510 frequency & programs long gone & a picture to show the owner knew Taylor Swift when she was a kid singer in Wyomissing. There is nothing to indicate they are internet only, and they stopped using the call letters on the ‘air’ so basically they have no identity. They seemed to have dropped the ‘Real Country ‘ satellite programming for in-house music along with syndicated bluegrass shows & AL Shade running the same show every day trying to sell his record company ‘Al-Jean Productions. The other day their server was down so they weren’t on anyway.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom