• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WWLS - The sports urinal

rpmoose

Inactive
Inactive User
I find it amazing that WWLS can manage to carry the NFL game between St Louis & Indianapolis on both AM & FM, yet can’t manage to find a home for tonight’s NLCS game 5.

I know, it’s a rather pointless rant, but this really attests to the quality of what passes as a sports station in this market.

Good thing that I can hear the game on KREF (they’re not even mentioned in the Oklahoman), and KMOX.

> I find it amazing that WWLS can manage to carry the NFL game
> between St Louis & Indianapolis on both AM & FM, yet can’t
> manage to find a home for tonight’s NLCS game 5.
>
> I know, it’s a rather pointless rant, but this really
> attests to the quality of what passes as a sports station in
> this market.
>
> Good thing that I can hear the game on KREF (they’re not
> even mentioned in the Oklahoman), and KMOX.
>

Is it possible that since KREF was already clearing the game in the market using the Cardinal network, that WWLS was possibly blocked from carrying the game using ESPN Radio?

I noticed that WWLS-FM was carrying Westwood One's coverage of the Cowboys/Giants on Sunday, while WKY was carrying the Cowboy network, but I am guessing that is an exception since the two stations are co-owned.

> Is it possible that since KREF was already clearing the game
> in the market using the Cardinal network, that WWLS was
> possibly blocked from carrying the game using ESPN Radio?

I do not believe so. In St Louis, the ESPN radio afiliate KSLG has been carrying the NCLS games this year. So if they can do it in St Louis, I don't think anything would preclude that from occuring in this market.

> I noticed that WWLS-FM was carrying Westwood One's coverage
> of the Cowboys/Giants on Sunday, while WKY was carrying the
> Cowboy network, but I am guessing that is an exception since
> the two stations are co-owned.
>

Yes, all of the Cowboys games are aired on WKY while WWLS airs a hodge-podge of WW1 games. Usually they try to air a game other than the Cowboys on WWLS but as I recall this past Sunday was one of the only two or so games going on at that time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom