• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WWBA migrates toward brokered radio

J

JerkyBoy33707

I usually stream in Neal Boortz from WSB in the morning. He is off today so I decided on Laura Ingraham. Lo and behold there is now a brokered nutrition program from 10-11. Laura cut down to 11-12. WWBA has obviously realized the success of TAN-TALK !! Mike Reeves, Ask the Doctor, Nutrition show. GREAT WEEKEND AM RADIO EVERY MORNING AT WWBA.

Salem also preempts the first hour of Michael Medved everyday to run a financial infomercial called Phil's Gang... you wouldn't believe how much they're raking in from it... this is where all AM is headed...

Then let them go all the way and bring back FRANK FOSTER PRESENTS THE FRANK FOSTER SHOW with the QWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWESTION of the day! And the guy who talked about bridal arrangements and said You Can't Get There from Here! And Frank Kinsman from the old Sun Radio Network. And let lots of people call in and goof on it all.

Sadly, a fellow in the Panhandle named Burnie Thompson thinks he's going to launch himself from local host to statewide phenomenon on THIS station... :D

I produced Frank Foster for the entire period of time he was on WGUL a couple years back... actually, I have an official Frank Foster Show T-Shirt... I think I'll wear it today in his honor. You think it's worth money? ;)

When WWBA brokers itself out to bozos, it's funny. But when 970 hands over Thanksgiving morning to Ask an Attorney, and sells a handyman show on Saturday mornings, it's sad. :'( I kinda know how people in the middle ages felt when they looked at the Colosseum and the Roman construction and said "our ancestors did this and now we can't get out of the way of our own slop?"

smedge2006 said:
When WWBA brokers itself out to bozos, it's funny. But when 970 hands over Thanksgiving morning to Ask an Attornney, it's sad. :'( I kinda know how people in the middle ages felt when they looked at the Colosseum and the Roman construction and said "our ancestors did this and now we can't get out of the way of our own slop?"

Wow, maybe 970 wanted to inspire it's listeners this morning to power off the radio and to give Thanks on this Thanksgiving Day for the I-Pod, the MP3, internet streaming (i.e. Pandora) and satellite radio!! :)

Interesting enough, I happened to catch WBBM 780 - Chicago around 6:30 - 7am this morning and they had abandoned their all news format and we playing Thanksgiving themed old radio programs; I guess they hadn't considered brokered programming as an alternative to the daily grind.

drt

Salem typically loads up on Infomercials when the station revenue is down. They do it in Chicago and everywhere else. It really ruins a station in the long term.

Salem's New York talk station "970 The Apple" (actually licensed to Hackensack, NJ) does not appear to be "loaded up" with paid programming, at least during major listening hours.

DToTheJ said:
Salem's New York talk station "970 The Apple" (actually licensed to Hackensack, NJ) does not appear to be "loaded up" with paid programming, at least during major listening hours.

As a News/Talk station Salem programs a local morning show and then fills the day with syndicated News/Talk shows. But during the weekend...you'll get your fill of infomercials and brokered programming.

I believe that the preferred term for all this is, "Doller-a-Holler Radio".
("In God we trust. All others pay cash. Yer' Church don't count under the God part, so make sure there's cash in the envelope with your reel of tape." I'm sure I've seen that on the wall of several stations, over the years ;D )

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom