• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WVMV is GONE as of 4:30 PM

I've seen way too many format flips to get excited about them anymore...yawn!

When I was little I thought Top 40 was just about the only format in the world, but then Top 40 in those days meant the Beatles, Elvis, Frank Sinatra, The Kinks, The Rolling Stones, Peter Paul and Mary, and even Louie Armstrong.

If CBS thinks HD2 is so great why don't they put the Top 40 format on HD2 and leave a unique format alone? Who wants to buy an HD radio when there is a possibility CBS could yank the Smooth Jazz format off HD2 for something else when they feel like it?

XM isn't perfect but I don't have to worry about format flips taking my favorite stations away.

Format Changes; The Rise of Pop/Electro Top 40; The End of Hip Hop Generation

I've got to admit - this has been the most boring format flip I've seen on the boards thus far. Looks like almost nobody cares about it. They should've just given this station to Atlanta, which like Detroit is a "hip hop town", but at least the people in Atl. are begging for a real top 40.

Anyway.. Not sure why jazz stations are disappearing... I'm surprised the jazz station went before 97.9 or 102.7 since we all know that hip hop is in a state of decline and the hip hop generation (who are now the parents) are no longer dominating the charts. I'll bet that within the next three years, a bunch of urban formats across the US begin (or continue) to transform or disappear. Hip Hop cities like Atlanta, Detroit, and New York...etc. may not be affected in the hip hop formats for a while, but eventually, as trends change, it will become noticeable in ALL areas. L.A, if you've noticed, is already lacking a hip hop station. Here in Phoenix, we have no room for one with all the rhythmics and top 40 sounds we have that would eat away from the ratings of a current hip hop station. All you places with urban formats and rhythmics that lean urban, you'll notice a change or more variety of sounds to come soon. Hot 97 in New York was smart to switch back to "rhythmic" from "urban" because now they are also free to change their sound a bit once the time becomes necessary to do so... Remember, they didn't become hip hop until hip hop became big, so it's only obvious what will happen when the next sound takes over and becomes big. In Detroit, I see WJLB probably being the hip hop format to last the longest, but Amp will most likely beat it in ratings within months to a year.

We've gone through eras of Blues, Jazz, Rock n Roll, Disco, and now the hip hop generation is coming to a close... so... what's to come next? It's quite obvious where we're headed, but most people don't see it yet. Top 40 is always a smart choice to make during a transitional phase in music because regardless of which direction music is heading in, it's a given that whatever it is, it will become "hits".

I predict a lot of dance hits popping up on Amp within the next 2 years. Hopefully Channel 95.5 also recognizes the direction music is going and decides to add in some electro-pop / rhythmic dance hits, if they haven't already done so in their mixes. I'm not saying hip hop is dead, but.... just saying... any town with two hip hop stations will most likely lose at least one of them within the next two years. Today in 2009, jumping on top 40, rhythmic top 40, or CLASSIC hip hop before everyone else is probably a bright idea. Look how classic rock blew up after rock n roll stopped dominating the charts! This will be what hip hop will look like in the next 5 to 10 years. We already have a classic hip hop in Az - and that is the ONLY urban format existing here and rising in ratings at the moment.

Face it. Times change. We get older. The younger generation will decide what's next. As for me personally, I'm rather glad that the hip hop phase has pretty much passed and the variety of different styles and sounds are coming back to the U.S. once again. I'm not going to sit here and criticize the people who actually took time to put decent lyrics together, but there are many songs of this decade that really shouldn't have made it. 2001-2008 had to have been the worst time period for pop/top 40 music (in the U.S.), but it's ok - the next decade is looking a bit brighter, and Amp came around just at the PERFECT time.

Anyway, it's about time that a change took place. Time for American top 40's to get exciting again... and like they said on BBC Radio 1 (UK Top 40) in London, time for the American hit music quality and production to "step up" and get more creative. Well... I think I've said enough for now. Back to BBC I go on Sirius.

As far as HD Radio and Satellite Radio.... it's rather funny to me that all this exists here. With all the work that's being done to do all that, we could just put that same work into making terrestrial radio stations better so people wont have to seek other forms of radio to begin with!

Oh... And I see Amp is playing Cascada!!! Good job Amp!

By the way, Lil Jon, Akon, Black Eyed Peas, Madonna, David Guetta, LMFAO, Jay Sean, ....etc, they all know which direction the future of music is headed in too. They talk about it in their interviews! They are selling big time overseas.... Just waiting for people to WAKE UP and see what's going on in the rest of the world....

I surely hope Amp decides to pick up The Weekend Throwdown with Jagger sometime on the weekends...

Mac Daddy said:
... there was a whole montage of old WLLZ jingles, after that they said "Welcome back, this is 98-7 Detroit's Wheelz, The rock you grew up with". Then they played "Welcome To The Jungle"...

CBS had actually trademarked "the rock you grew up with" after branding WYSP in Philadelphia with it.

There was speculation as to whether or not other stations would have the same branding following discovery of the trademark.

... They use it for this? This is the only other CBS "station" they use it for?

Oy vey. I smell a format flip for WYSP in the near future.

I believe 95.5 and 96.3 were not really trying to be what 98.7 is coming to be.
I wonder if this Amp will also do commercial free Mondays? Anyway, hopefully this Amp in Detroit sounds just as fun, or even better than the one in L.A. I notice this one plays quite a bit more alternative/rock stuff than the one in LA. I bet that is probably because there is already a 95.5 leaning heavily rhythmic, so Amp probably doesn't want to do the same thing in Detroit as the rhythmic leaning one in L.A. Besides, Detroit already has quite enough stations with a strong sense of the urban sound. L.A. does not.

Anyway, I think Detroit has been taken care of for now. All we need next IS ATLANTA TO GET A TOP 40!!!

COME ON, SOMEBODY!!!! I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

Well, let me get back to my electro hip hop and house show we got going on here in Arizona on KKFR, Friday nights. I love Friday & Saturday nights here - Even L.A. can't even keep up with Phoenix and the electro hits!

I never ever imagined in my entire life that Smooth Jazz V-98.7 would ever change to a Top 40 radio station.

I always hoped that 93.1 DRQ would return as Top 40, but DRQ is gone forever, and now luckily CBS radio has pulled the plug on Smooth Jazz to make 98.7 FM a CHR station.

Smooth Jazz never sounded that good to me anyway, plus Smooth Jazz is a dieing format in this country because it just doesnt appeal to people like other formats for older adults like (Urban Adult contemporary - Classic Soul or Rhythemic oldies).

KDM 7000 said:
I wonder if this Amp will also do commercial free Mondays?
It says on the website they are. But I don't think they're launching off with 10,000 Songs in a Row, which is a disappointment.
Isn't it ironic that WKQI dropped from 6.0 to 5.1 and WDVD shot up to #1?
Maybe CBS should have launched a Fresh or a Sophie instead?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom