• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WSJS airing WXII Evening News

Word has it that WSJS began airing the WXII 6PM news on Monday. Haven't heard it, but always thought TV news on the radio was rather silly.

Soft start on Monday. Heard live promo indicating more newscasts coming.

Didn't work when WXII owned 830, won't work now.

Are the two stations connected in any way? In Raleigh, Mix 101.5 simulcasts (sister station) WRAL-TV's 6:00 news, and it seems to be doing well...

Only by heritage. WXII started out as WSJS-TV. Even after the TV was split off, WSJS radio and WXII have co-sponsored public events, and at one time the weatherman on WXII was the morning man on WSJS (don't know if that was concurrently though).

Later . . . .

I was very shocked when I heard this....why WXII would agree to this doesn't make sense to me.....

WSJS has to be elated to get random plugs on TV....But anything is better than that GOD AWFUL crap hour they were running before that was so blatantly canned from the North Carolina News Network.

They unfortunately must not have a penny to spend or nobody gives a crap to do it. There's definitely a place for a well done news hour on the radio at 5 O CLOCK when people are on their way home from work. Not 6 to 7 when they're already at home.

As long as we're doing history for the edification of berlin201, the WSJS calls came from then-owner, the Winston Salem Sentinel Journal newspaper.

And speaking of Raleigh, I seem to remember reading somewhere that '60s top 40 powerhouse WKIX, 850 AM, started life as WNAO, as in News and Observer, back in the '40s or '50s somewhere.

Ownership rules were different then, and have changed a couple of times since.

Raleigh's AM 850 (now WPTK "Talk Radio 850 WPTF"--sister station to "News Radio 680 WPTF") did indeed sign on in (I think) 1948 as the News and Observer's WNAO, along with WNAO-FM 96.1 (now WBBB "Radio 96-1"). The paper was also behind Raleigh's first TV station, WNAO-TV 28, which lasted from 1953-1958. (The current, unrelated channel 28 in the market, Durham-licensed WRDC, is not connected to WNAO-TV). The WNAO stations were bought by Southern Broadcasting in 1959 and became WKIX/ WKIX-FM, thus beginning the Raleigh run of those legendary call letters that hold the local record for different dial positions-six different frequencies with two "tours of duty" on three of them.

agree with stafferman, the last time I ever tuned in to SJS at 6p, they had some guy who sounded like a robot that had been programmed to read AP wire copy for an hour, lifeless, mindless, and pointless

RadioDaze said:
Raleigh's AM 850 (now WPTK "Talk Radio 850 WPTF"--sister station to "News Radio 680 WPTF") did indeed sign on in (I think) 1948 as the News and Observer's WNAO, along with WNAO-FM 96.1 (now WBBB "Radio 96-1"). The paper was also behind Raleigh's first TV station, WNAO-TV 28, which lasted from 1953-1958. (The current, unrelated channel 28 in the market, Durham-licensed WRDC, is not connected to WNAO-TV). The WNAO stations were bought by Southern Broadcasting in 1959 and became WKIX/ WKIX-FM, thus beginning the Raleigh run of those legendary call letters that hold the local record for different dial positions-six different frequencies with two "tours of duty" on three of them.

And of course the calls WBBB are not original to Raleigh.

Building a Better Burlington

Fortunately the city had already changed its name from "Company Shops" by that time.

True enough, stafferman, but it probably doesn't make much difference at this point considering that the majority of programming on news-talkers has nothing to do with local employees, other than the board-op. WSJS does get points for maintaining two weekday shows that are local. Unfortunately, JR & the Misfits are only reaching a small mummified demographic with that happy morning chatter about some upcoming fertilizer festival in froggyville, as it were. Bob Campbell is a real talent, but his efforts are being wasted on that station.

Disclaimer: I haven't listened to SJS since the end of last year, so it may be that a lot of things have changed since then. I don't know and, frankly, don't care.

Bob Campbell is a real talent, but his efforts are being wasted on that station.

I think Bob really is a pro, he just doesn't belong on a WSJS.....Bob needs to be on some rock station, I know in the W-S/GSO market that's basically a pipe dream at this point but you're right. Bob is a talent and his efforts are going nowhere. I think that's because that station in general is going nowhere. J.R. in the mornings is what he is, JR in the mornings. You get some folksy back and forth, but whenever they dropped Smith Patterson forget about it....not even worth listening. Best newsman on the radio in the history of this market and they got rid of him, plus Smith & JR used to joke back and forth which was awesome.

The whole direction of that place, its mind boggling. They're still employing people, but this Dave Ramsey/Dennis Miller/Dr. Joy/Clark Howard.....? No PD, No GSM....direction is just gone. I think the Facebook page was just a microcosm of the bigger problem over there. I think its also a bigger picture issue at Curtis Media. If you go to their website, they still have under their "Headlines", the Brad & Britt "programming lineup expansion". I mean its almost been a year since those guys left to Charlotte.

If you go to their website, they still have under their "Headlines", the Brad & Britt "programming lineup expansion". I mean its almost been a year since those guys left to Charlotte.

Yes! Nothing says "going through the motions" quite like an outdated blurb right there on the front page of the company site. Well done, webmaster, well done.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom