• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WSGN call letters to move...again

I came across this info a short while ago. Seems the WSGN call sign in Alex City at 1050 AM and the one at WFXO Stewartville at 98.3 FM will switch places, as of 7/31. See "Exchange Call Sign" link at right bottom of page:

Last edited:
So does this portend the sports format currently heard at WFXO 98.3 will be moved to 1050 AM and 98.3 will have some new format as WSGN?

I think the man who runs Marble City Media is on this site, maybe he can chime in with their plans. If I can find his contact info, I'll shoot him an e-mail.

Maybe they'll move the Kix country format from WYEA and WSGN over to the bigger FM signal, and put the sports on the two smaller AMs with translators. I am not actually sure if the Kix country on WSGN is the same as the one on WYEA, but it's the same ownership. I have one listed as mainstream country and one as classic country, but that may be bad info for 1050.

I think the man who runs Marble City Media is on this site, maybe he can chime in with their plans. If I can find his contact info, I'll shoot him an e-mail.

Maybe they'll move the Kix country format from WYEA and WSGN over to the bigger FM signal, and put the sports on the two smaller AMs with translators. I am not actually sure if the Kix country on WSGN is the same as the one on WYEA, but it's the same ownership. I have one listed as mainstream country and one as classic country, but that may be bad info for 1050.
It'll be interesting to see how well the signal of the newest reincarnation of WSGN will make it into the southeastern Birmingham suburbs (Chelsea and other Hwy 280 areas). Growing up on Shades Mountain in the Vestavia area, I used to listen to Sylacauga's 98.3 FM as WMLS-FM and WAWV "98 Wave". Back then, the station was a class A, but we could receive it well with just a small indoor FM dipole antenna. Now that WFXO is a class C3 broadcasting with an ERP of 9 kw, I would guess the signal would be even better than it was three decades ago. I would surmise the W252BE translator broadcasting from Red Mountain at 98.3 FM would preclude any signal from the new WSGN being heard in the Hoover/Vestavia/Homewood/OTM areas? I did note WFXO was off the air Saturday night, presumably due to the storms which came through the area earlier that day. While WFXO wasn't broadcasting, I could hear W252BE fairly well last night here in Calera and again today even after WFXO returned to the air.

They are sounding great. But I hope they're working on ways for making it be heard in Birmingham over the air like the jingles say. Preferably 610, but at least a struggling AM like 1320??

WSGN still sounds great. I could hear them on the east side of Prattville today. Impressive mix of songs. Keep up the good work.

Dan <><

I have been listening to WSGN this morning/afternoon (just before 11 am to 1:15 pm thus far). Other than a jingle mentioning WSGN once an hour (one jingle mentioned east Alabama/east central Alabama), it is entirely music. I haven't heard the first advertisement, and there hasn't been a legal ID given in that time. No references to Birmingham being aired, either that I recall. Whether it's all due to a software automation error or this is the "new normal" for the station...?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom