• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WRKO at night pattern around the clock?

IMO one major thing that AM/FM radio in the car has going for it and will keep it around at least for the foreseeable future, is the word "free".

I think one of the other "things" that AM/FM has going for it in the car...is the "ease of access". 2 Clicks and your on WBZ. One click, you're on WBUR. No plugging in, no fiddling, no data, no dead spots.

Many people don't think (obsess) about radio like we do.

I think one of the other "things" that AM/FM has going for it in the car...is the "ease of access". 2 Clicks and your on WBZ. One click, you're on WBUR. No plugging in, no fiddling
To play a bit of devil's advocate - even in my vehicle which is 5 years old, my phone automatically connects to my car's entertainment system via Bluetooth - No plugging in required unless I want to view and operate my phone's maps or Waze apps using the screen in the dash...And the touchscreen on my dashboard can control my phone, operate maps or Waze, or play MP3s or even control music apps just as quickly and simply as I can press the "radio" icon and select my saved stations or scan through the terrestrial radio bands. It's all very intuitive and seamless.

To play a bit of devil's advocate - even in my vehicle which is 5 years old, my phone automatically connects to my car's entertainment system via Bluetooth - No plugging in required unless I want to view and operate my phone's maps or Waze apps using the screen in the dash...And the touchscreen on my dashboard can control my phone, operate maps or Waze, or play MP3s or even control music apps just as quickly and simply as I can press the "radio" icon and select my saved stations or scan through the terrestrial radio bands. It's all very intuitive and seamless.
No, while many newer vehicles have USB and/or BT for connection to a mobile device, not all have a full "entertainment" system display, wherein said mobile device becomes only slightly more complicated than the common AM/FM radio. My low-end CR-V (I wanted KEYED ignition!) does not have the sophisticated front panel display that my wife's Beetle has. And just to be clear: "sophisticated" is not synonymous with "simple".

Sorry if my post gave a different impression, but I wasn't suggesting or implying that everyone had to have the same system I have. I was simply giving detail about the infotainment in my own vehicle, a 2017 GM model so not the newest and flashiest. It seems that's the way most manufacturers are headed, even with their more inexpensive models as they come onto the market.
My low-end CR-V (I wanted KEYED ignition!) does not have the sophisticated front panel display that my wife's Beetle has.
I mean no offense, but I'm guessing your situation with wanting a keyed ignition and purposely buying a more basic package to get that, is more likely the exception rather than the norm for most.
And just to be clear: "sophisticated" is not synonymous with "simple".
I never used the word "sophicticated". I used the words "quickly", "simply", "intuitive" and "seamless" to describe my personal experience, because after a quick demo at the dealership when the salesman did a full walk through of the car and all its features with me the day I bought it, that's exactly what I've found it to be. Again, that doesn't mean everyone will have that same experience.

Last edited:
Sorry if my post gave a different impression, but I wasn't suggesting or implying that everyone had to have the same system I have. I was simply giving detail about the infotainment in my own vehicle, a 2017 GM model so not the newest and flashiest. It seems that's the way most manufacturers are headed, even with their more inexpensive models as they come onto the market.

I mean no offense, but I'm guessing your situation with wanting a keyed ignition and purposely buying a more basic package to get that, is more likely the exception rather than the norm for most.

I never used the word "sophicticated". I used the words "quickly", "simply", "intuitive" and "seamless" to describe my personal experience, because after a quick demo at the dealership when the salesman did a full walk through of the car and all its features with me the day I bought it, that's exactly what I've found it to be. Again, that doesn't mean everyone will have that same experience.
Mikey, we're good. I just wanted to add my experience to what you had written, knowing that my car's "entertainment" package is primitive.

I loathe the streaming in my vehicle (less than 3 years old). The vehicle's bluetooth system will often open the wrong audio app (Spotify could be running on the phone's screen, but the vehicle will still try to open TuneIn and start an old streaming session) and isn't much fun when connectivity is dropped in many of Northern New England's dead zones. Plus the system controls are not at all intuitive, despite it being a top-selling vehicle; basically you can turn it on/shut it off/control the volume, but anything else requires opening up the phone.

The vehicle's bluetooth system will often open the wrong audio app (Spotify could be running on the phone's screen, but the vehicle will still try to open TuneIn and start an old streaming session)

Mine does the same thing. Actually, its even more annoying. I could have nothing running on my phone (all audio apps closed, having done a fresh restart), and when I get in the car it will start TuneIn from scratch and pick up where I left off

Mine does the same thing. Actually, its even more annoying. I could have nothing running on my phone (all audio apps closed, having done a fresh restart), and when I get in the car it will start TuneIn from scratch and pick up where I left off
Same here...I have to make sure I have the Bluetooth audio player shut off in the vehicle to prevent that from happening.

IMO one major thing that AM/FM radio in the car has going for it and will keep it around at least for the foreseeable future, is the word "free". While one can play music from their phone or MP3 player, if they want to listen to "radio", live broadcasts and things like live news/talk, streaming costs $$ unless one has unlimited data as part of their cell plan. I at times stream in the car, but even though my cell plan includes a solid amount of data, it's not unlimited. For listening to NPR, news/talk and my preferred morning shows on a few music stations, at least for now, AM/FM wins out. Beyond that, one of the ridiculously cheap SiriusXM offers may be the next best plan for some at least and may cost less per month than paying for data, again, depending on their plans.
Having worked in radio, I understand where my pay check came from. That being said, AM and FM radio may be "free" as you said, but listeners do not want to listen to 20-minutes of highly produced and in many cases irritating spots per hour. Relative to enjoyment, you can't compare an FM Classic Rock station to the Classic Vinyl channel on SiriusXM.

there is no such thing as a free lunch
"free" to me means someone else (spot buyers) is paying the freight
in return for that, I get the pleasure of listening to what they pay for in return for the "free" content.

As technology has progressed so has the ability of the listener to purchase the content without the filler.

This is no different than people paying for HBO in the 1970's

And here is where we delve into the radio is a dying technology for delivering content.

we can also touch on the fragmentation of the music industry, there are many more genres of music today then there were 50 years ago.

I am still a supporter of HD radio. I only wish there was a way to make it profitable for the radio stations.

I also have 3 SXM subscriptions, and when ordering my new car last week I made sure it had a HD tuner and SXM.

I also have a Amazon Music subscription.... the amount of content on that platform is almost limitless, even for someone of my advanced age.

Like SXM, I am assured of finding something I want to listen to, something that is getting harder and harder to do over broadcast radio. We are at the point that Nirvana and Soundgarden are now classic rock acts.... and as those acts are added to playlists to attract the 34 to 54 audience, the Who, Beatles, The Rolling Stones and other acts are getting less spins, if they get any at all.

In Fort Myers Fl I have 5 FM presets on my tuner, and I can scan thru them and usually find something to listen to.
When I am back north for the summer, there are two stations in the Boston area and a couple in Southern NH I can listen to, but that is it.

On my SXM tuner I have TEN presets, and there are other stations I will listen to above and beyond the 10 that are pre set.

And the best part of SXM? When I leave here to head north next Thursday I don't have to keep scanning the band every hour as we come in and out of range of radio stations on a 24 hour 1500 mile road trip.

listeners do not want to listen to 20-minutes of highly produced and in many cases irritating spots per hour.
YouTube another source for music and clips. Ads pop up at the beginning and/or in the middle of clips.Or you can choose to pay a monthly fee.
For those who *ANNOYING AD 1 of 2 ANNOYING AD 2 of 2* don't wish to pay, then...
They get you either way.
And Netflix will/may soon be adding commercials to their programming, tho perhaps only on a lower-cost plan.

So where did the radio listeners go? All kinds of competition out there.

there is no such thing as a free lunch
"free" to me means someone else (spot buyers) is paying the freight
in return for that, I get the pleasure of listening to what they pay for in return for the "free" content.
Exactly right! The pendulum swings both ways here. If I want something to be free, then I have to put up with ads, whilst If I pay for a service, it is assumed I will have less (preferably none) ads. I do think that if people are paying a decent amount for a service, like $25-30 for SXM, or $70 for Hulu, then they shouldn't also be subjected to dozens of ads. That's extortion.
As technology has progressed so has the ability of the listener to purchase the content without the filler.
This is no different than people paying for HBO in the 1970's
(y) :)
I am still a supporter of HD radio. I only wish there was a way to make it profitable for the radio stations.
Me too. However, iBiquity turned HD into a dead-end street with all of their patents and "licenses", and the fact that they really don't advertise that well. However, if HD was more consistent/popular, I could see encrypted subchannels offering "premium" audio formats without commercials for a price, in a style similar to SXM.
when ordering my new car last week
Carvana?
I made sure it had a HD tuner and SXM.
Thank you!
I also have a Amazon Music subscription.... the amount of content on that platform is almost limitless, even for someone of my advanced age.
That sounds good!
Like SXM, I am assured of finding something I want to listen to, something that is getting harder and harder to do over broadcast radio. We are at the point that Nirvana and Soundgarden are now classic rock acts.... and as those acts are added to playlists to attract the 34 to 54 audience, the Who, Beatles, The Rolling Stones and other acts are getting less spins, if they get any at all.
Sounds like you enjoy 50's, 60's, and 70's, definitely check to see if an AM in Fort Myers might be running a true "Oldies" format. Or, of course, we know SXM has that easily covered, but they divvy out by decade, and that's not always desirable. And FM tends to stay away from your preferred timeframe, but some Classic Hits stations will lean 60's/70s/80s.
In Fort Myers Fl I have 5 FM presets on my tuner, and I can scan thru them and usually find something to listen to.
When I am back north for the summer, there are two stations in the Boston area and a couple in Southern NH I can listen to, but that is it.
I see.
On my SXM tuner I have TEN presets, and there are other stations I will listen to above and beyond the 10 that are pre set.

And the best part of SXM? When I leave here to head north next Thursday I don't have to keep scanning the band every hour as we come in and out of range of radio stations on a 24 hour 1500 mile road trip.
While there's nothing wrong with wanting consistency and reliability, sometimes it is worth branching off and getting that local flavor. Remember that a "real" subscription to SXM is at $27.99, and rising.
---
Also: For the best of Oldies music, šŸŽµShortwave Radio, WTWW! šŸŽµšŸ˜‰ on 5.085, of course during the evenings.

I am at $240 a year for 3 subs, and I get a ton of use out of the streaming... to the point I didn't put a tuner in the 07 Mustang I got a double din head unit with Android Auto so I burn some data off on the rare occasions that the car comes out to play

I also can listen on my TV, DVD player, my home stereo via a HDMI w/ ARC, one of my 3 Alexa devices, our cell phones and tablets.

I get a LOT of use out of them.

The new car is a 2022 Highlander XLE that is going to replace my 2016 Rav4 XLE, I'll just swap the subscription over from the Rav when I sell it.

I do like having WRKO-A and WBZ-A available on a FM HD2.

I miss the AM HD WBZ-A had, but now I just listen to it on IIRC WXKS-FM HD2

Sounds like you enjoy 50's, 60's, and 70's, definitely check to see if an AM in Fort Myers might be running a true "Oldies" format. Or, of course, we know SXM has that easily covered, but they divvy out by decade, and that's not always desirable. And FM tends to stay away from your preferred timeframe, but some Classic Hits stations will lean 60's/70s/80s.

FREE from the iHeartRadio app is Scott Shannon's "True Oldies Channel", featuring lots of 60s/70s, and just a touch of 50s and 80s.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom