• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WPTF nearly dead

I haven't looked at the ratings in a long time, but just did. Holy cow. WPTF is at a 1.0 and has been for 3 periods.

How much longer can they keep this up? WRTP/His Radio is within 10,000 people of overtaking them in cume :eek:

In the Summer Quarter of Monthlies 96.1 WBBB is #2 25-54 adults behind WQDR.
You may not like the station, but it's a big winner in the ratings.

FM will not help an ailing AM station without content people want to hear. Raleigh-Durham is probably too small of a market
for an All News format to be successful on AM or FM.

Even WRDU, with Rush, is not doing that well...in an election year!

Can't see curtis putting WPTF on an FM.....They've really got a mess with the legacy AM'ers that used to have solid morning shows and the strong conservative talk lineup. Now they have neither. It's a tough situation and there's really no easy fix. Unless you have a KILLER morning show or that passionate right wing audience it's very tough to keep AM's in smaller markets alive.

The charm of AM radio is evaporating into thin air, you need actual broadcasting content. I give Curtis credit for their local angle but they need to invest more than who ever happens to be around for the hire.

How much of an annual operating budget does it take to keep 680 on the air, exclusive of programming?

Say what you will, but PTF began it's big downhill slide when it lost NC State sports. Even though I can't stand the SOB, losing Rush was hard to recover from as well. PTF offers absolutely nothing compelling to listen to. I believe that 680 and 850 have formed a suicide pact.

I just thought of a way to kill off 680 completely. Just carry Charlotte Bobcats basketball.

Whatever Curtis Media tries to do with WPTF, nothing is going to work, until such time as the FCC expands the FM band, which is being discussed, many AM stations are on life support, except those in larger markets, and you often wonder how much longer it will be before they feel the pain?

tothedj said:
Whatever Curtis Media tries to do with WPTF, nothing is going to work, until such time as the FCC expands the FM band, which is being discussed, many AM stations are on life support, except those in larger markets, and you often wonder how much longer it will be before they feel the pain?

I always think about that with AM radio, NY 1010 WINS, 880 CBS, Philly KYW....They're still raking in cash and doing fine in the ratings..... I know KCBS & WBBM were big legendary AM Newsers that are now on FM, I think eventually those stations will follow suit.

I think eventually all those powerhouse AM's will eventually go the FM band and companies will cancel away music stations, even if they are doing well....They'll take the one that doing the least amount of billing and flip it. That's my guess.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom