• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WPRO "WAR OF THE WORLDS" SCARE -- HALLOWEEN 1974

Holland Cooke

Inactive
Inactive User
I was interviewed this afternoon by an author in the UK, who's writing a book on legendary radio hoaxes.
He's researching the local version of "War of the Worlds" that we performed on Halloween, 1974.

This caused a REAL fuss...
...and has been written-up elsewhere, including the 2004 book, "Panic Attacks: Media Manipulation and Mass Media Delusion," by Robert E. Bartholemew & Hilary Evans (http://www.amazon.com/Panic-Attacks...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210973776&sr=1-1).

I hadn't heard this show in decades, and I didn't know ANYBODY who still had a copy.
This author DID, and he put it on his server, so I could download it...and you can listen online:
http://www.war-ofthe-worlds.co.uk/wpro/wpro.html

We figured this would be a cute Halloween bit...
We never thought listeners would BELIEVE what-we-were-telling them.

I had JUST started full-time at WPRO a month before (and I SOUND that young).
Our "War of the Worlds" began on my 7-midnight show.
We pre-recorded the whole thing; so, the-minute-it-began, I jumped in the car and drove around, to hear it.

We had re-worked a script that aired on our sister station WKBW/Buffalo.
Interestingly, they TRIED to produce a scripted version...but it didn't work.
So they had their news people ad-lib...THAT script worked...and we re-worked that ad-libbed version.
We were reading almost every word you'll hear, with local references replacing Buffalo-area landmarks mentioned in KB's version.

What's most impressive about this, as I re-listen decades later, is:

1. How much work went into this. Our production director, the late, great, Jake Paquin spliced this all together. And I mean SPLICED. Today, it's a snap to digitally edit 24 tracks on a laptop. At the time, Jake was working with two turntables, several cart machines, and 3 reel tape decks, one-of-which was a 2-track. LOTS of grease-pencil-and-razor-blade. MANY man-hours of work.

2. How deep our cast-of-characters was. There are more voices in this show that lots of stations now have on-staff. That deep News crew you'll hear is one reason so many people freaked out that night. Listeners were accustomed to BELIEVING us. You'll hear PD Jay Clark in "take-charge" mode...and eventually as last-man-on-Earth. Listen as various staffers get vaporized by aliens-from-another-planet ("...the charred body of Barry Parker" was found on Jamestown, after the bridge blew up). We also blew up the Newport Bridge. Everyone in Fall River died.

3. The impact EVENING programming could have. And WPRO-AM's 1974 night time pattern hadn't yet been pushed-out to-the-south. We didn't get into East Greenwich at night back then. But, even so, our local music programming, WITH news, got numbers, against then-aggressive competitors. Here's "the book" that included this fateful evening: http://hollandcooke.com/Arb.jpg

4. How naive we were! Earlier-in-the-day, vague teases alluded to something special that night...but, as you'll hear, the show did NOT begin with a disclaimer.

In that respect, WPRO's "War of the Worlds" caused as much local fuss as Orson Welles' earlier version did nationally.
But Welles' show DID begin with a disclaimer...that nobody heard.

In the 1930s, radio shows began-and-ended at various times.
Unlike WPRO-in-1974, Welles' Mercury Theater was NOT the ratings leader.
He was the ratings underdog to A DUMMY...literally.

VENTRILOQUIST Edgar Bergen had the top-rated show in its time period.
And Bergen's show ended after Welles' had begun.
So most listeners who channel-surfed to Mercury Theater after Bergen ended had missed the disclaimer.

You won't hear a disclaimer until 3/4-of-the-way-into this show, calmly voiced by Salty, his only appearance on the show.
At the end, Larry Kruger and Jimmy Gray, who did not appear in the play, read the close and credits.

The next day, we were the lead story on all 3 TV stations, and on page one in the newspaper.
EVERYONE was upset at us...except advertisers.
We were duly apologetic...and smirking.
WJAR and WGNG were EXTREMELY aggressive competitors at the time.
But, that next day, all they could do is play-the-hits.

This not-so-little stunt earned us a-slap-on-the-wrist from the FCC...and those ratings.

Helluva bit.

HC
www.HollandCooke.com

I've got this in my MP3 player right now and am listening. I vaguely remember all this, and the commercial breaks alone are a memory lane trip! Great stuff, Holland!

The cast reminisces...

I just got an Email from Dave Fallon, who wrote: "I can remember friends and family telling me they were on the floor in convulsive laughter when they heard my hammy, Gary Owens-like reads."

I'm listening on my part 15 AM here in Chi even as it downloads. It's 12:37 and I'm loving every second.
I have to wonder about the 200 or so households in earshot of AM1620.
Wow- Proto-Disco! This sounds great with big-AM reverb.
I think I'll see how it reads out in the car........

Real spooky out in the car.....Love the teletypes and wild mics.
A bit too live (bright) on the FM remotes of the astronomer at the beginning, all other audio is perfect and reads right.
The helicopter is cut in half! I'm getting outta here!
Oh, there's the announcement of the dramatization...phew!

And no match to light your pipe! That's a problem for sure when you're about to die!

"And no match to light your pipe!"

Someone just Emailed me asking "Is that the Mark Haines who later anchored on TV12?"
Yes.
Now, he's doing the morning show on CNBC.

Tech note...

Tom Wells said:
This sounds great with big-AM reverb.

Good point.
IT REALLY DID.
Here, you're hearing it flat, from the actual master tape, BEFORE our "secret sauce" of reverb/compression/EQ.
ON-AIR, after the audio chain, and with the natural snap-crackle-and-pop of AM radio, it sounded REAL "real."

Holland,

Any chance you can put the audio on youtube? Connection problems are preventing me from downloading.

Also was Gio involved in the story? How about former WPRI-TV reporter Barbara Hamiliton who was married to
Mark Haines.

"Any chance you can put the audio on youtube?"

Team America said:
Connection problems are preventing me from downloading.

No-can-do.
YouTube's length limit is 10 minutes.

Have you tried right-clicking to "Save As?"

Team America said:
Also was Gio involved in the story? How about former WPRI-TV reporter Barbara Hamiliton who was married to Mark Haines.

I think I hear Gio, in a cameo, unidentifed.
And you'll hear Barbara aplenty.

Just learned about this production for the first time after watching the new documentary on WKBW's version. The link for the download of this is no longer active (nor is the site) so I hope this version can be made available again for download.

Still looking for a copy of this. I've been finding other versions of WOTW done by other stations on YT and just in the last couple days, KHOW's version from 1987 was posted on the net, but this one still remains elusive.

Still looking for a copy of this. I've been finding other versions of WOTW done by other stations on YT and just in the last couple days, KHOW's version from 1987 was posted on the net, but this one still remains elusive.
There are other versions aside from Orson Welles' 1938 original?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom