• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WOR and Network newscasts?

Does WOR run any network newscasts anymore?

I was up listening at 2AM last night...and was surprised to find a local newscast (nothing from a network).

I don't know of many (any>) stations that run local newscasts with no network cast in the overnight.

Thanks!

I don't think WOR carries any network newscasts these days, Last weekend I heard the great Mitch Lebe doing Sunday afternoon hourly newscasts buried among the non stop sickening barrage of infomercials. I'm sure virtually nobody was listening. Who could listen to that crap? What a waste of talent. He was probably talking to himself and at the most maybe 100 listeners, if that much.

Changing the subject, I was out for a walk this past Sunday sampling AM radio from my location in NE Pa. WABC and WOR ran one infomercial after another. WIP(WTEL610) was running a two hour Standards show from Noon to 2. For a moment of hope, I thought they might have changed formats. Of course not, it was back to the very little listened to CBS Sports Radi after that. Only oasis in that dismal desert of infomercials was Jay Sorensen and Casey Bartholomew doing live local talk on WPHT. Kudos to WPHT!

I wish all infomercials were broadcast overnight. Yeah,I know they exist to make money, but what a tune out! This is the reason talk radio on the weekend is so dismal. There are a few decent shows,but they are buried amongst the garbage.

Last weekend I heard the great Mitch Lebe doing Sunday afternoon hourly newscasts buried among the non stop sickening barrage of infomercials. I'm sure virtually nobody was listening. Who could listen to that crap? What a waste of talent. He was probably talking to himself and at the most maybe 100 listeners, if that much.

But I will bet that, pro that he is, Mitch probably delivered those newscasts as if every radio in Manhattan was tuned in.

You got that right. Mitch is one of the best. He's been doing radio for SEVEN decades as a jock and a newsman. So glad he is still on the air.

Mitch Lebe is the best! A real class act.

LA's iHeart station, KFI, runs only local newscasts so maybe that explains WOR. Unfortunately the similarity ends there.

The infomercial producers know by using a unique tracking phone number whether or not people are buying their products from broadcasts on WOR (or anywhere else). Somebody's listening, somebody's ordering or they wouldn't be there.

Before being bought by iHeart, WOR ran NBC Radio newscasts late nights and weekends. (We're talking about the most recent NBC radio, which used some NBC TV anchors but was run by Westwood One). Since iHeart has a news operation in NYC that offers its service to other station owners, really part of Total Traffic, it wasn't much of a stretch for it to do WOR news apart from Joe Bartlett's morning newscasts, which are still done at the WOR studios so he can interact with Len Berman, Todd Schnitt and Mark Simone.

Of course, it is somewhat unique that iHeart has a live anchor offering local newscasts exclusively for WOR at the top of all hours, days, nights and weekends, even at 5am on a Sunday, I believe. As mentioned above, local news is even done between the many weekend infomercials. The only exception is when sports events, such as Mets games, preempt local programming.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom