• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WNEW. Baltimore or Washington?

When CBS moved the 99.1 license from Annapolis to Bowie, which market is the station "officially" licensed to? Baltimore or Washington?

WNEW is targeted to Washington, even though their signal is very good in Baltimore. North and East of Baltimore, WTOP's signal begins to fade,but WNEW is quite strong. I always thought WNEW should target Baltimore, as well as DC, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

WNEW is a very good sounding station, and after a year in the format they really haven't gained any ratings traction.

CBS really needs to add additional sticks to cover the areas WNEW is weak. I realize they are now on Fresh's HD-2 and are advertising it, but how many people have an HD radio in their car. Basically, looking at WNEW's signal, they do not reach the areas where people are sitting in their cars commuting.

...I realize they are now on Fresh's HD-2 and are advertising it, but how many people have an HD radio in their car...

How many people have an HD radio, period? ???

BarryATL said:
CBS really needs to add additional sticks to cover the areas WNEW is weak. I realize they are now on Fresh's HD-2 and are advertising it, but how many people have an HD radio in their car. Basically, looking at WNEW's signal, they do not reach the areas where people are sitting in their cars commuting.

CBS should do a deal with Salem for WAVA: givem some cash and 99.1, and get 105.1 in return. Other than that CBS could try an on-channel booster but it get's tricky and sometimes messy as both the main signal and booster fit each other. Or, find some translators for 95.5 or 94.7 and use the HD feed from WNEW to feed the translator (as it would be outside WNEWs protected contour).

EJM said:
FLjack2 said:
When CBS moved the 99.1 license from Annapolis to Bowie, which market is the station "officially" licensed to? Baltimore or Washington?

Officially, it's Washington--for both the Arbitron metro and the Nielsen DMA. Bowie is in Prince George's County, while Annapolis is in Anne Arundel County.

So why did they change the city of license?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom