• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WNAZ-FM sold to Bott Broadcasting

The application was filed with the FCC tonight to sell WNAZ 89.1 in Nashville, TN and WNRZ 91.5 and their translators to Bott Broadcasting for 2 million dollars.

Bummer.. Looks like Nashville is loosing a GREAT sounding format that isn't heard elsewhere... to be replaced with what is already heard on the AM dial...

The rumors that the buyer is Bott turned out to be true. What happened to the promises that the buyer would keep a CCM format? This is something that Bott will definitely NOT do. WNAZ has betrayed their listeners.

I've said before that for the type format that they do that Bott is one of the best. But the truth is they have no regard for the past audience, whether it's CCM or some other format. They'll change it to the same format as all their other stations. I don't know what their real attitude toward CCM is, but I do know that they think that their programs are more important than reaching young people for Christ, and that someone else should play CCM. I know from the sale of WMSO in Memphis in 1986 that listener protests will do no good. All they'll do is to claim "That's not what God is leading us to."

However I believe the biggest part of the blame goes on WNAZ, for selling to a group THEY KNEW had no intention of keeping a CCM format, even though they were claiming otherwise. Anyone who has made donations to WNAZ should demand a refund.

anotherguy said:
I don't know what their real attitude toward CCM is, but I do know that they think that their programs are more important than reaching young people for Christ, and that someone else should play CCM. I know from the sale of WMSO in Memphis in 1986 that listener protests will do no good. All they'll do is to claim "That's not what God is leading us to."

Please, let's be realistic here. Speaking as a Christian myself, I realize that CCM radio stations seldom reach young people for Christ. CCM radio stations are where Christians turn after Christ finds them. The process isn't (1) Listen to CCM radio, then (2) become a Christian. It's the exact opposite. One typically becomes a Christian first, then starts listening to CCM.

Face it, CCM stations preach to the choir. I say that as a long-term member of the choir who enjoys the preaching.

Talk_Dude said:
anotherguy said:
I don't know what their real attitude toward CCM is, but I do know that they think that their programs are more important than reaching young people for Christ, and that someone else should play CCM. I know from the sale of WMSO in Memphis in 1986 that listener protests will do no good. All they'll do is to claim "That's not what God is leading us to."

Please, let's be realistic here. Speaking as a Christian myself, I realize that CCM radio stations seldom reach young people for Christ. CCM radio stations are where Christians turn after Christ finds them. The process isn't (1) Listen to CCM radio, then (2) become a Christian. It's the exact opposite. One typically becomes a Christian first, then starts listening to CCM.

Face it, CCM stations preach to the choir. I say that as a long-term member of the choir who enjoys the preaching.

I would tend to agree with what you said to the extent that people aren't saved directly as a result of listening to CCM radio, but it can and does have some impact in people's decisions for Christ. I can't speak for the young people (I'm much older, 42 here), but I was saved about 11 years ago, partly due to listening to CCM radio. My wife, who is a christian, would usually listen to one of the two local CCM stations back during that time. Many times I found myself listening to the station, whenever she would have it on at home or on the car stereo after I would drop her off at work. I was saved a few months later. So, although I wouldn't say that listening to CCM radio contributed entirely to my salvation, it definitely did play a part in my decision. So, never dismiss the impact that CCM radio has on young adults (and older ones, such as myself) and what role it plays in reaching the gospel for others. It is not strictly an "I'll listen to CCM music after I'm saved" situation; sometimes God reaches people by putting the "cart before the horse". While it's true that CCM stations are usually preaching to the choir, God is still working "behind the scenes" and speaking to lost people through those outlets.

passtheword said:
Talk_Dude said:
anotherguy said:

I would tend to agree with what you said to the extent that people aren't saved directly as a result of listening to CCM radio, but it can and does have some impact in people's decisions for Christ. I can't speak for the young people (I'm much older, 42 here), but I was saved about 11 years ago, partly due to listening to CCM radio. My wife, who is a christian, would usually listen to one of the two local CCM stations back during that time. Many times I found myself listening to the station, whenever she would have it on at home or on the car stereo after I would drop her off at work. I was saved a few months later. So, although I wouldn't say that listening to CCM radio contributed entirely to my salvation, it definitely did play a part in my decision. So, never dismiss the impact that CCM radio has on young adults (and older ones, such as myself) and what role it plays in reaching the gospel for others. It is not strictly an "I'll listen to CCM music after I'm saved" situation; sometimes God reaches people by putting the "cart before the horse". While it's true that CCM stations are usually preaching to the choir, God is still working "behind the scenes" and speaking to lost people through those outlets.

I'm sorry, but I can't respond to that. That requires a theological response, and this just isn't the venue for it.

Talk_Dude said:
passtheword said:
Talk_Dude said:
anotherguy said:

I'm sorry, but I can't respond to that. That requires a theological response, and this just isn't the venue for it.

That is fine. I wasn't really expecting a response from my post on it...just giving you (and sharing with others) an example from my perspective. :)

I was in Nashville today and heard WNAZ on my radio for what will probably be the last time. I called the station and found out the word is that Bott takes over on Jan.1, and I don't know of any time I'll be in Nashville before then. I haven't been able to get streaming to work for some time.

I hope that Trevecca will allow WNAZ to do some sort of farewell program, and I also hope that someone will possibly be able to record at least the last hour and signoff and post it online. I'll definitely miss hearing WNAZ on my trips to Nashville.

I called WNAZ yesterday and got a little bit of good news. I was told that Bott possibly won't take over until Feb., (Possibly because of the setbacks in the request for technical changes?) so we may possibly have a few more weeks with WNAZ on. But I still won't be surprised for it to be where WNAZ is shut down with little or no notice and be off for a period before Bott takes over.

I just hope this turns out to be true. It seems like there has been too much misinformation floating around, and I'm probably guilty of spreading it, although it's been unintentional and I apologize for it.

I meant to post this erlier, but according to the Resistance's Facebook page Bott takes over on Feb 17th, and there will be a video made of WNAZ's final day. My next trip to Nashville won't be until after Bott takes over and I'd guess the stream is down for good. I hope someone will be able to get airchecks of the final day and hopefully the final hour.

On that same subject would anyone know if there are any airchecks from WNAZ's past available anywhere online? Thanks.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom