• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Wmyr-am | whew-fm | wwgr-fm

Can anyone tell me the history of WHEW-FM Fort Myers (now WWGR)? What I have found so far is that Robert Hecksher, original owner of WMYR (AM) Fort Myers, placed WHEW-FM 101.9 on the air sometime in 1969 and its format was country from the beginning. I had heard 101.9 started out as WMYR-FM and had a progressive/AOR format. Can anyone fill in the blanks on both stations (WMYR-AM and WHEW-FM).

I know both were in a trailer, I listened to it in Key West when growing up. I think it was automated. Didnt really pay attention, was more into Dx'ing. WINK was also automated at the time. Top 40/AC. wink used Drake Chenault at that time. I remember the back sell announcer on the reels. This was probably around 80-82.

I know both were in a trailer, I listened to it in Key West when growing up. I think it was automated. Didnt really pay attention, was more into Dx'ing. WINK was also automated at the time. Top 40/AC. wink used Drake Chenault at that time. I remember the back sell announcer on the reels. This was probably around 80-82.

Were both stations (WMYR-AM and WHEW-FM) automated? I've seen the mobile home WMYR-AM is housed in now located on Hanson Street in Fort Myers.

We couldn't hear WMYR AM. Yes WHEW FM was automated (possibly live assist at times), as I said I only DX'ed a few times. Most of the good radio was in MIA/FLA. WHEW didn't have the quality of other stations in the market. Sounded more like a small town full service AM.

We couldn't hear WMYR AM. Yes WHEW FM was automated (possibly live assist at times), as I said I only DX'ed a few times. Most of the good radio was in MIA/FLA. WHEW didn't have the quality of other stations in the market. Sounded more like a small town full service AM.

I've heard the AM at night as far North as Leesburg. The first time I heard WMYR, it was Top 40.

Grew up in Lehigh Acres.
All I know is 101.9 was always Country since the 1980's.

Grew up in Lehigh Acres.
All I know is 101.9 was always Country since the 1980's.

The FM went on the air in 1969 and, as far as I know, was a country music station from day one although I did see that the FM had the call letters WMYR-FM as a CP before becoming WHEW. I had heard the FM had a short lived progressive format in the very beginning, but I have been unable to confirm any validity to those rumors.

I worked at WHEW-FM from 1990-91. We were called "Giant Country 102 FM", and Robert Hecksher wanted to compete with Cat Country. Mitch (Cruisin' Mitch Mitchell) and I were hired and flown from Bangor Maine. I lasted a year. Mitch lasted a month. I could write a book about that ordeal. The station I worked at last in Florida was WWGR! The same transmitter! It's now called "Gator Country 101.9". Mr Hecksher died quite a few years back. I have no idea what became of his wife Kathleen. Class A lady.

Doug

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom