• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WLUP-HD3 Chicago

As most of us know, WLUP-HD3 has been touted as the place to hear Smooth Jazz/Smooth AC in Chicago following the brutal murder of Smooth 87.7. However, it's been mentioned other places that they are using the BA SJ feed. I just came back from a weekend in Chicago and can say that this is not true. WLUP-HD3 seems to be airing a locally programmed blend of Smooth AC that has a very wide mix of music. In the time I listened, I heard a couple of SJ instrumentals - including some originals - and some AC tunes from the likes of Kool & the Gang, Steve Winwood, and the Jackson Five, but ALSO some classic jazz or jazzy vocals from the likes of Frank Sinatra and a rendition of "Love Walked In" by a female vocalist whom I couldn't identify but I'm thinking it was possibly Ella Fitzgerald. Suffice to say, it ain't BA anything. In fact, the playing of some standards brought to mind KJZY in California, which plays quite a few standards mixed in with the smooth jazz.

I'd say it's worth checking out if you happen to be in the Chicago area with an HD radio.

Thanks for sharing some good news. We get very little of that these days!

ChrisInMI said:
As most of us know, WLUP-HD3 has been touted as the place to hear Smooth Jazz/Smooth AC in Chicago following the brutal murder of Smooth 87.7.

What happened to Smooth 87.7? The last time I was in Chicago, I really enjoyed it.

Chuck said:
ChrisInMI said:
As most of us know, WLUP-HD3 has been touted as the place to hear Smooth Jazz/Smooth AC in Chicago following the brutal murder of Smooth 87.7.

What happened to Smooth 87.7? The last time I was in Chicago, I really enjoyed it.

Venture Technologies, who owns the license to channel 6 (audio 87.75mhz is heard on most radios on 87.7mhz), got an offer from Merlin Media to do an LMA on the station. So until 2015, Merlin Media (if they're still around by that time) will run an Alternative Rock format on 87.7/channel 6. They thought they'd earn more money by letting Merlin run the station rather than continue with the Smooth Jazz format, which did ok, but Venture Technologies wanted to maximize their return on the station. By September 2015, Venture Technologies must decide if they want to make channel 6 an actual TV station, or go silent. Either way, they'll no longer be heard on analog radio, as ATSC uses s different digital standard from HD Radio. It means Venture Technologies must make channel 6 a real TV station, or go silent.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom